T Nation

Different DOMS

Does anybody have different DOMS for body parts? Upper body and calves I hit DOMS at the 24 hour period but recently lowerbody is 2 days. Did 5x5 plus 2 singles squats on Sunday. Hammies were fine all yesterday. Today, walking around like the Tin Man. The legs have usually been a tad slower to develop DOMS than rest of my body but now its more pronounced.

Anybody in the same boat. Anybody know what may be causing this to happen?

P.S. Not a concern or anything, just wondering why.

I get DOMS at different times depending on bodypart and whether the workout was heavy or not.

For heavier work I tend to get a deeper feeling of subtle discomfort in my muscles that turns into DOMS after a couple of days. With lighter stuff after the gym-wobbles wear off I’m not too bad & then I’ll usually have DOMS by the next morning.

I think myself that DOMS has alot to do with the recovery process, so bodyparts might recover at different speeds (due to circulation issues maybe or for whatever reason) and so develop DOMS at different speeds. I also think that heavy work causes a different type of muscle trauma to light work.

I read the controversial idea that different fibre-types might lie in different layers in a muscle group, but I further think that a heavier load might cause larger localised muscle tearing than light lifting. So even though lifting light for more reps/sets might result in the same sum total of micro-trauma as heavy lifting for less reps/sets, the exact topography of that trauma could be different?

Just a half-baked theory from someone who thinks too much, but there ya go.

Personally for me if my legs are sore the day after I know im in trouble due to if im getting sore it usually 48 hours later. So next day soreness means BAD things come day 2.

DOMS is a crazy unexplained thing for sure.

Phill

can I ask what DOMs stands for? thanks in advance

[quote]ironbax wrote:
can I ask what DOMs stands for? thanks in advance[/quote]

This old school Italian mobster I used to know.

Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness

Slower eccentrics give me much more soreness. If I feel it the next day it will be mild, if it starts to kick in on day 2, I know it’s gonna be severe.

I always get doms in the legs and chest for up to 2 - 3 days after hitting them… second day after workout is usually the worst. I walk around looking like I was taken advantage of after legs :frowning:

Its fun though

[quote]NCTrey133 wrote:
I always get doms in the legs and chest for up to 2 - 3 days after hitting them… second day after workout is usually the worst. I walk around looking like I was taken advantage of after legs :frowning:

Its fun though[/quote]

I’m with you, chest and legs, specifically quads, are the worst. Shoulders, biceps, and triceps RARELY get sore.

Its my hammies that are the worst. I can deal with quads but when the hammies are hit hard its Tin Man city. Hurts taking a shit.

chest and legs= doms

Depends how much I sleep that night. I sleep for usually 10-12 hours so I’m almost always sore the next day but if I sleep for less than 8 hours it’s usually the next morning that I feel sore. I’ve never seen any scientific evidence on it but I believe that DOMS occurrs when the body starts to mend the micro-trauma. That’s why you may be tired immediately after your workout but not sore untill the next morning after you’ve rested and started the healing process.