T Nation

Difference in Wheys? Digestion Standing/Laying?

1) So I was reading the ingredients on my different protein powders for the 100th time and was wondering what exactly is the difference between whey concentrate and whey isolate. I know isolate is better but just curious what the difference is.

2) After eating sometimes I just wanna lay down for 10 mins and was wondering if there is any difference in digestion between standing and laying down. My stomach gurgles more when I am laying...doubt that changes anything though.

Isolate contains a higher percentage of protein than concentrate 90-94% and 75-85% respectively. This is due to the filtering process that filters out the lactose while manufacturing isolate. However, it seems that isolate also loses it's immunoglobulins, which are immune boosting proteins such as alpha lactoglobulins and lactoferrins, in the filtering process.

I think the difference in digestion times will be negligible. Isolate is also quite a bit more expensive. From a cost to benefit ratio, if you are not lactose intolerant, I would definatley go with a whey concentrate or concentrate isolate blend product.

x2

There was a thread about this exact topic about a week ago with some info. Search for it if your still interested, but SolidGround just basically summarized it.

Thanks for the response Solid Ground but for my second question I was not referring to after I drink a whey shake, it was after I eat a bigger food meal I feel like laying down. While I was lying down after my last big meal I was wondering if laying affects digestion and perhaps if it affects how the food is stored, ie. more stored as fat?

Laying down won't encourage food to be stored as fat. If it does slow down digestion it would be insignificantly. Also, laying down after a meal is only a problem if you have some acid relux issues.

I do not believe body position has a notable effect on the digestive system. Food is moved via muscular peristalsis and doesn't need specific gravity vectors to assist this movement. I am positive this is something NASA found out with their astronauts who experienced zero gravity.

Unless you have gastro esophageal reflux disease or GERD you shouldn't have problems laying down after eating. When your lower esophageal sphincter is functioning properly it prevents stomach acid from reaching the esophagus.