T Nation

Difference in Protein Brands?

Much has been made of Biotest’s Grow! Whey, but since they cranked up the price (per serving…they actually dropped to 2 lb jugs), I am thinking I may be forced to look elsewhere.

Now I do think that they seem to have a solid product and it seems to blend especially well. It has also been claimed by some that other companies have “cheap” whey that utilizes “fillers”. I’m not sure what that means exactly, but I’m not sure they could get away with cutting their product if that is the implication.

But take Optimum Nutrition’s (a popular brand) 10 lbs bag. It sells for $83.69 including S&H. Biotest, on the other hand, would charge $105 (for five jugs) with free shipping.

That’s almost a $20 difference. I want to support Biotest, but I find it hard to justify spending over $20 extra on a product that is identical.

I’m not sure if I’m following the question. Are you wanting to know the difference between ON Whey and Grow!? Or are you wanting to know if Grow! is worth the newly adjusted price?

He wants to know if Grow! is that much different than other whey protein powders, thus making it worth a higher price tag.

My answer is that I don’t know.

A lot of people asked this question when the new Grow! came out… I believe, the answer was something like - and I paraphrase - “Biotest wants to keep using the highest-quality ingredients in its products and only upped the price once it became absolutely necessary.”

Like you, “I’m not sure what that means exactly.” An official announcement has yet to be made, though I believe one of the mods said there will be a write-up sooner or later.

Hope that helps!

If your trying to save money, try buying in bulk. 5 & 10lb jugs are massively expensive. That 10lb ON jug is over $8 a pound!

[quote]B rocK wrote:
If your trying to save money, try buying in bulk. 5 & 10lb jugs are massively expensive. That 10lb ON jug is over $8 a pound![/quote]

Um…say what?

[quote]DOA215 wrote:
He wants to know if Grow! is that much different than other whey protein powders, thus making it worth a higher price tag.[/quote]

This is correct.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
If your trying to save money, try buying in bulk. 5 & 10lb jugs are massively expensive. That 10lb ON jug is over $8 a pound![/quote]

The new Grow! is more than $10 a pound…

[quote]jpb wrote:
B rocK wrote:
If your trying to save money, try buying in bulk. 5 & 10lb jugs are massively expensive. That 10lb ON jug is over $8 a pound!

The new Grow! is more than $10 a pound…[/quote]

It’s 12 bucks a pound. Not long ago it was only 5 or 6 bucks a pound.

[quote]Fiction wrote:
DOA215 wrote:
He wants to know if Grow! is that much different than other whey protein powders, thus making it worth a higher price tag.

This is correct.[/quote]

Well, it’s kind of hard to answer this, seeing as we’re on Biotest’s site. I won’t comment specifically on any proteins, but when it comes down to, I can find great deals on proteins elsewhere… factoring in things like grams of protein, taste, $ per lb, etc.

[quote]Fiction wrote:
DOA215 wrote:

This is correct.[/quote]

It’s simple division. Any calculator can do it.

Or if you wanna do it yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division

[quote]B rocK wrote:
Fiction wrote:
DOA215 wrote:

This is correct.

It’s simple division. Any calculator can do it.

Or if you wanna do it yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division [/quote]

Uh…I’m not sure what you’re dividing. I already did the calculation. A 10 pound bag of ON Whey is about $8.30 dollars per pound (including shipping). A two pound jug of Biotest’s Whey is $10.50 per pound with the bulk discount (with free shipping).

What I want to know is if there are intangibles that make Biotest’s Whey better than ON’s and thus worth the money.

For me the taste difference alone is worth the money.

You can find deals online if you don’t go through the manufacturer.

I’ve found ON’s 10lb bag for $70.

Look at the ingredients.

Biotest Grow! Whey:
Premium Whey protein concentrate, Dutch cocoa powder, natural and artificial flavors, soy lecithin, cellulose gum, sucralose.

ON:
Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolates, Whey Protein Concentrates, Whey Peptides), Cocoa, Artifical Flavors, Lecithin, Acesulfame, Potassim, Aminogen, Lactase

Unless I’m mistaken, Grow! Whey doesn’t include a digestive enzyme. ON’s Aminogen is their trademarked digestive enzyme.

Isolates are better than concentrates. They have a better biological value.

I say buy both and alternate so you don’t develop an intolerance to either.