T Nation

Difference Between Surge & ON Whey?

The ingredient list is very similar, but the ON whey you can purchase at a much better value…

[quote]tigerak02 wrote:
The ingredient list is very similar, but the ON whey you can purchase at a much better value…
[/quote]

You say similar, but they are definitely not the same. ON is just whey and whatever else they flavor it with. Surge is a balanced hrdrosylated whey/dextrose supplement. It is intended for post workout.

Another note, ON is cheap because it is a cheaply made protein. One of the worst IMO. Just a notch above GNC’s whey. BLECH.

Where to begin? The ingredients are not similar. The only similarity is that they both contain whey protein. Surge is intended for post workout (and pre/during workout depending on the advice you follow ). Surge contains high glycemic carbohydrates (d-glucose, maltodextrin). The whey in Surge is hydrolysate. This helps it to be digested quicker. It also contains added BCAA’s. ON whey is simply a whey protein powder.

You’d get better quality protein from freeze drying and powdering your spunk than what you’d get from ON.

[quote]tigerak02 wrote:
The ingredient list is very similar, but the ON whey you can purchase at a much better value…
[/quote]

They are not similar. The difference lies in the quality and quantity of certain ingredients.

ON whey is an anytime protein supplement, Surge is a PWO supplement using very specific ingredients for its purpose.

Don’t just look at the ingredient list, read the supplement facts label as well.

[quote]Panther1015 wrote:
You’d get better quality protein from freeze drying and powdering your spunk than what you’d get from ON.[/quote]

Hahaha, yeah that’s what I meant.

Yo.

I live in Italy and can’t have Surge.

On the italian supplements market also whey hydrolysate products are hard to find.

So I use rice malt, dextrose, BCAA and ON Whey Gold to make up my simil-Surge PWO drink.

I think that if u can’t access Surge or any whey hydrolysate product, the ON Whey are a good extra ingredient (each scoop contains more than 5gr of BCAA and more than 4gr of Glutamine or that’s what they claim), along with BCAA and simple carbs, for your PWO dring.

Anyway, the point is that it makes no sense to compare PWO drink products with simple whey powder products.

peace

me

Good question. This article explores that very issue:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459463

[it has pretty graphs and everything]

I haven’t used Surge but I did use ON for a few years because I couldn’t afford better. Now that I’ve moved to the higher-end brands I’m much happier. Taste, quality, mixability (not really a word) all 100 fold better. Plus ON always gave me terrible gas and bloated out my stomach. For some reason no one stayed in the area when I started squatting :stuck_out_tongue:

Guarddog.

what label are you reading?

See the thing is, I have used both after workouts.

Surge + Powerdrive + cold water

ON Whey + cold water

The way I feel the next day, I don’t feel that much of a discernable difference.

I am a pure powerlifter, not interested in cutting fat or getting lean, not that that was a problem anyway.

I am 5’6" 132 lbs, and deadlift 435.

Pretty weak but I’m trying to get better; what I’m primarily concerned about is how I feel the next day after a CNS pounding workout.

Also, will Surge ever be available in a more affordable 5 gallon canister or conversely a more potent dose per serving?

[quote]tigerak02 wrote:
Also, will Surge ever be available in a more affordable 5 gallon canister or conversely a more potent dose per serving?

[/quote]

A more potent dose? Sure, just use an additional scoop.

A larger size? We might have something for you soon.

Wtf are you guys serious.
On whey gold is NOT trash(http://mysupplement-store.stores.yahoo.net/10whgostbyop.html).
And how can surge possibly be that much better than On mixed with gatorade.

Don’t use taste as an argument, because I can sacrafice taste.

Plus surge is like $20-30 for 10 freaking servings…and personally one of those servings isn’t enough I generally use twice that much after a WO…so I’m saving MAD money than paying $30 to cover 5 work outs…HA. My 5lb tub of on and my tub of gatorade usually last me around a month.

If you cant afford Surge, Just go get your self a package of Sweetarts and eat them post workout with a scoop of whey.

It’s basicly the same thing…

If you want great quality and taste, opt for the Surge & Grow!

[quote]Countrylasttime wrote:
Wtf are you guys serious.
On whey gold is NOT trash(http://mysupplement-store.stores.yahoo.net/10whgostbyop.html).
And how can surge possibly be that much better than On mixed with gatorade.

Don’t use taste as an argument, because I can sacrafice taste.

Plus surge is like $20-30 for 10 freaking servings…and personally one of those servings isn’t enough I generally use twice that much after a WO…so I’m saving MAD money than paying $30 to cover 5 work outs…HA. My 5lb tub of on and my tub of gatorade usually last me around a month.[/quote]

You really couldn’t be anymore wrong.

if im wrong, explain why.
Because no one has yet beyond “omg it doesn’t taste or mix as well”

[quote]Countrylasttime wrote:
if im wrong, explain why.
Because no one has yet beyond “omg it doesn’t taste or mix as well”[/quote]

it is doubtful you will get a legit response. Surge is a good product. but there is no reason for them to say ON is trash, or at least they havent given a reason yet

This would be simple to solve:

  1. Go to “Optimum Nutritions” Forums. (If they have them; good luck).

  2. Get all the “legit” responses on “Surge” that you can find.(Good luck again).

  3. Compare.

  4. Report back.

Right…

Mufasa

In the famous words of Samuel L. Jackson in “Pulp Fiction”:

“Exact-tu-MUN-DO!!!”

Mufasa