Difference, BCAA & Protein Shake?

What is the difference between BCaas and my protein powder that claims to have BCaas in it?

thanks

in other words, what is bcaa?

Have you checked out the BCAA product that Biotest sells? There are threads about it on this site…

BCAA"s are well isolated Branch Chain Aminmo Acids that can be taken and used by the body NOW!!! BCAA’s are those specific used for muscle growth and repair. Protein if its complete like whey beef etc its all your aminos, bcaa’s included and other macros and micros.

Phill

so if someone says take your BCAA’s, that means ‘drink your protein shake?’

I think the OP’s real question is "If I’m drinking a protein shake everyday that has BCAA’s in it, do I need to take BCAA tablets in addition to the protein drink and why?

It’s a good question.

the BCAA tabs are the amino acids in their base form (as individual amino acids). the BCAA content of any protein is tied up within the protein chain. in such a case, the BCAAs enter the body only after they are digested by enzymes in the stomach. for whey, the rate of release is quite high, takes place in a few minutes to about half an hour or so (depends on how much you took, enzyme concentration, etc).

for the casein, the amino acids are released over a long peroid of time (5+ hours, once again there are factors which influence this a little). the BCAA tabs however are ready for absorption instantly as soon as they hits the stomach and dissovle. since BCAAs are not used for energy by intestinal cells, they will make it to the muscle unlike other amino acids.

this, and the fact that a preponderance of muscle tissue is BCAAs is why they are good to take during training and between meals. it provides substrate that prevents the muscle tissue from going catabolic.

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
this, and the fact that a preponderance of muscle tissue is BCAAs is why they are good to take during training and between meals. it provides substrate that prevents the muscle tissue from going catabolic.[/quote]

Exactly.

BCAA’s are to be taken between meals and prior to training.

IMO- they are not a replacement for whole food or protein supplements just like protein shakes and food are not a replacement for a BCAA supplement. They are both important, even more so when cutting.