T Nation

Diets to Increase Sex Hormone Levels?

Any advise appreciated? ie eat more fat or protein??

Which “sex hormone” are you referring to? Just testosterone?

What makes you think your levels need to (or should or can) be increased?

Oestrogen mostly, but also testosterone. Read my thread in T Replacement forum! They are low… i’m vegetarian (probably why). So is it specifically meat i need to eat more of or fat or protein? I get about the recomended amount of protein a day, according to nutritiondata.com (so probably a lot less than meat eaters!)

[quote]Wileykit wrote:
Oestrogen mostly, but also testosterone. Read my thread in T Replacement forum! They are low… i’m vegetarian (probably why). So is it specifically meat i need to eat more of or fat or protein? I get about the recomended amount of protein a day, according to nutritiondata.com (so probably a lot less than meat eaters!)
[/quote]

Why are you vegetarian? I only ask because I came across this article about eating meat in a medicinal fashion: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2011/12/could-you-be-protein-deficient-here-are-the-hidden-signs/

Moral reasons, although now it’s more habit! I ate a lot of meat up until i was 12 then switched to being vegetarian. Didn’t notice any problems except i get really bad PMS, although my doc assures me that isn’t why. But i did read a medical paper saying vegetarians are healthier in body but not in mind :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve eaten fish too, since i was 21 but not that often.

Thanks for the article. I do get ‘enough’ protein if nutritionaldata.com is correct. But perhaps not the optimum amount? I’m not sure what the optimum amount of protein is? Is it 70g a day? :S I am trying to eat more though to see if it helps.

From the article I linked to: 1. Medicinal Red Meat. Even the Dalai Lama and many of the monks in Kashmir eat meat. If you are not totally offended by this option try the two week red meat blood plan to rebuild protein and stabilize blood sugar: Eat 4 ounces of red meat a day for 2 weeks, preferably at lunch.

I believe this medicinal program is best and most effective when implemented with great respect and gratitude for the animal that gave its life to help yours.

Food for thought…

I couldn’t eat it everyday coz still against my morals and would have to buy organic.

Do you know what it is about meat that helps the brain? Then i could just take that… :wink:

Sounds to me like you need to consume more phytoestrogens like flax, beans, nuts and soy products.

I would tend to lean a lot more towards soy than anything else, as it’s known to contains some of the highest levels of phytoestrogens and are used as a first recommendation by GP’s prior to putting women on hormone replacement therapy. It’s also the reason I strongly recommend men stay completely away from the stuff!

Anyways, the only issue to concern yourself with, with soy, is that it’s the #1 genetically modified food source. Again, another reason why I steer people clear of it.

Other than that, I don’t know if you can get “certified organic” soy products, but if so, that’s where I’d be looking and nothing else.

There’s a lot of stuff on the web on phytoestrogens, so I’d recommend googling it, but just know that not all of what you read on the net is the truth, so just go with trusted sources and if some place is making claims about something (like I did above with soy yielding the highest rate of genetic manipulation), then look for scientific studies that back those findings.

Oh and I just read your last line “Do you know what it is about meat that helps the brain? Then i could just take that… ;)”

Can you give me a hint on what you mean by this? Do you have a brain disorder (very common by the way so don’t feel shy about this)?

Reason I ask, is that the brain is mostly composed of fat and there’s a lot of research going on in the medical community on omega-3 supplementation in the uptake and regulation of brain cells. There’s also some stuff going on regarding ADHD research and omega-3 supplementation.

Amino Acids are also key building blocks of protein, which are also found primarily in red meat, fish and dairy products.

Lastly I’d look at B-12, as you mentioned your a vegetarian and this key vitamin is significantly lacking in a vegetarian diet and this does come from meat sources. Don’t think you can take a B-12 pill though, as that’s not how it works. If you’re lacking in this key vitamin, you’ll need to get a B-12 shot from your GP. A key note, is that an absence or lack of B-12 in your system will affect all sorts of brain functions, including mood and memory.

[quote]Smallfry69 wrote:

Lastly I’d look at B-12, as you mentioned your a vegetarian and this key vitamin is significantly lacking in a vegetarian diet and this does come from meat sources. Don’t think you can take a B-12 pill though, as that’s not how it works. If you’re lacking in this key vitamin, you’ll need to get a B-12 shot from your GP. A key note, is that an absence or lack of B-12 in your system will affect all sorts of brain functions, including mood and memory.[/quote]

“High-dose oral vitamin B12 tablets (1000 to 2000 mcg) taken daily are as effective as intramuscular monthly injections in correcting blood and neurologic abnormalities.”

Vitamin B12 Deficiency
Sally P. Stabler, M.D.
N Engl J Med 2013; 368:149-160January 10, 2013

[quote]Wileykit wrote:
Do you know what it is about meat that helps the brain? Then i could just take that… ;)[/quote]

meat has creatine, many vegetarians have creatine deficiency.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3145223.stm

I haven’t really read through every post but when yo noted you were hardly eating very much protein and that it was mostly all from vegetarian sources.

A big problem with plant protein is that it lacks sufficient Luecine which is the most responsible amino acid for signalling protein synthesis…which means you will have trouble adding muscle compared to someone who is utilizing whey, eggs, meat and stuff like that.

The OP should have mentioned that she is a she.

[quote]Wileykit wrote:
I’ve eaten fish too, since i was 21 but not that often. [/quote]

er… well start eating it everyday.

start eating lots of pussy

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
The OP should have mentioned that she is a she.[/quote]

and that’s why I should have read the entire thread before my last post…

[quote]Smallfry69 wrote:
Sounds to me like you need to consume more phytoestrogens like flax, beans, nuts and soy products.

I would tend to lean a lot more towards soy than anything else, as it’s known to contains some of the highest levels of phytoestrogens and are used as a first recommendation by GP’s prior to putting women on hormone replacement therapy. It’s also the reason I strongly recommend men stay completely away from the stuff!

Anyways, the only issue to concern yourself with, with soy, is that it’s the #1 genetically modified food source. Again, another reason why I steer people clear of it.

Other than that, I don’t know if you can get “certified organic” soy products, but if so, that’s where I’d be looking and nothing else.

There’s a lot of stuff on the web on phytoestrogens, so I’d recommend googling it, but just know that not all of what you read on the net is the truth, so just go with trusted sources and if some place is making claims about something (like I did above with soy yielding the highest rate of genetic manipulation), then look for scientific studies that back those findings.[/quote]

I do eat soya, although trying to increase my protein now so probably not enough. I tend to eat more canned beans than soya usually. I buy frozen soya beans sometimes too which are very tasty! Why does it have to be GM-free? :S

[quote]Smallfry69 wrote:
Oh and I just read your last line “Do you know what it is about meat that helps the brain? Then i could just take that… ;)”

Can you give me a hint on what you mean by this? Do you have a brain disorder (very common by the way so don’t feel shy about this)?

Reason I ask, is that the brain is mostly composed of fat and there’s a lot of research going on in the medical community on omega-3 supplementation in the uptake and regulation of brain cells. There’s also some stuff going on regarding ADHD research and omega-3 supplementation.

Amino Acids are also key building blocks of protein, which are also found primarily in red meat, fish and dairy products.

Lastly I’d look at B-12, as you mentioned your a vegetarian and this key vitamin is significantly lacking in a vegetarian diet and this does come from meat sources. Don’t think you can take a B-12 pill though, as that’s not how it works. If you’re lacking in this key vitamin, you’ll need to get a B-12 shot from your GP. A key note, is that an absence or lack of B-12 in your system will affect all sorts of brain functions, including mood and memory.[/quote]

Yes i have severe PMS, although this is probably not because i’m vegetarian, but i’m trying to
eliminate that as a cause now by experimenting with protein/fat consumption as someone told me the other day vegetarians do have lower hormone levels.

I tried all the vitamins for PMS 8 years ago before i went on a treatment for it which i’m now coming off. Tried evening primrose oil and made no difference.

and i already take high dose B complex. thanks