T Nation

Dieting & Hunger

I am finally on the right track as far as my diet goes. Its a big step in my life. I am 6’ 208lbs. I have a decent bit of fat to lose but I wouldn’t say a ton. If I had to guess at my Bf% I would say 12-16%. The question I have is…when dieting, do you eat only at the times you have set to eat at, or do you eat whenever your tummy says you are hungry? I am having problems staying satisfied even though I am using a full dose of Maximum Strength HOT-ROX to crush some cravings. Any advice?

Why have a schedule if you are not going to use it/stick to it?

Eat every 2-3 hours. 3 hours (if you have a loose schedule) might be easier when dieting. Try having a cheat meal (preferably a healthy one) once or twice a week. Make it a bit bowl of oatmeal, or anything else that’s filling but not too rich in calories.

i drink a lot of water. it will do good for you. laters pk

[quote]apayne wrote:
Why have a schedule if you are not going to use it/stick to it? [/quote]

Why stick to it if your body says it’s hungry? Does that not mean it needs nutrients? Stuff like this is what I am trying to clarify. When on a diet am I supposed to feel hungry most of the time, or does that mean I am losing muscle?

I agree lots of water and what are you eating??? If you make it a habit to eat TONS of veggies it will keep you much more satisfied without putting a HUGE dent in your alloted intake.

Load up on the veggies.

Hope that helps, and good luck with the diet,

Phill

Damn, as for the original question I eat every three hours or there abouts and make sure to have veggies and or fruit with each meal while Cutting, and in general all the time.

Phill

Thanks guys…no, I don’t feel hungry all the time. Just when its like 1 hour to 30 minutes from the time I have scheduled myself to eat.

Basically I have been eating:

8AM 3/4 Cup of Oatmeal w/ 1 serving Low-Carb Grow! and a Banana (sp?)

11am or so, Mixed nuts and or natural peanut butter (yes, from the spoon haha)

11:30 Power Drive

12-1 Lift

1PM 2 Scoops of Surge

2PM about 6 ounces of chicken breast and 1 cup of veggies

3:30-4 Apple and/or maybe some unsalted almonds and dried cranberries

6:30pm 6oz or so of lean beef and 1 cup mixed veggies

9pm beef jerky or some other low carb snack

10:45PM 2 servings of Low-Carb Grow!

11pm BED!

That has been basically my diet since monday. Hopefully this helps.

[quote]SGrim80 wrote:
Thanks guys…no, I don’t feel hungry all the time. Just when its like 1 hour to 30 minutes from the time I have scheduled myself to eat.

12-1 Lift

1PM 2 Scoops of Surge

11pm BED!

That has been basically my diet since monday. Hopefully this helps.[/quote]

You went 5 hours from breakfast with only a small snack then another 4.5 hours (1400-1830) with almost 0 protein. 3 hours is probably the most you should go without approx 40g(give or take depending on lean muscle) of protein between meals. Eat 5 blanced meals (protein, carbs “good” fats) 5 times a day every 3 hours from when you wake, and a good protein source(no carbs or fat) just before bed. By all means keep the Power Drive and Surge in your menu! Good luck and I hope this helps.

[quote]msw1959 wrote:
SGrim80 wrote:

12-1 Lift

1PM 2 Scoops of Surge

11pm BED!

That has been basically my diet since monday. Hopefully this helps.

You went 5 hours from breakfast with only a small snack then another 4.5 hours (1400-1830) with almost 0 protein. 3 hours is probably the most you should go without approx 40g(give or take depending on lean muscle) of protein between meals. Eat 5 blanced meals (protein, carbs “good” fats) 5 times a day every 3 hours from when you wake, and a good protein source(no carbs or fat) just before bed. By all means keep the Power Drive and Surge in your menu! Good luck and I hope this helps.[/quote]

2-6:30 with almost zero protein? Should I drop a shake in there with my snack?

While Low-Carb Grow! would be a good addition to that. I would also stress you are feeling hungry add REAL food, protein and MORE VEGGIES IMO

Hope that helps,
Phill

5-HTP decreases hunger pangs I find. Also doesn’t make me want to eat a large cheese pizza every time I think I MAY have smelled some carbs coming from somewhere. :slight_smile:

I have actually been good with my carb cravings…the only carbs I have had this week came from oatmeal, veggies, and surge. Its this weekend I am worried about. I am saving my cheat meal for superbowl sunday. I’m an eagles fan for the last 25 years (well my whole life) and I have to eay some type of sub or pizza during the game.