T Nation

Dieting for Show: Length and Prep

Hi guys,

A group of my buddies and I thought we would do a natural show.
Why not right, I never plan on using gear so a natural show at 143 or 154 lbs would be more for the experience than anything.

So back on point,

I know how to diet and lose weight but the biggest thing I am wondering in is

a. Dieting from 178 12.3% bodyfat…Diet length…12 wks?
b. How high should my calorie count be, and when do I lower carbs
c. 6 days to lean…is this a good article (has anyone tried the vegetable glycerol?)
d. Any extra tips to make sure I am as shredded as possible.

Figure your your maintenence cals before you do anything. Then, figure how much weight you think you will need to lose. Figure a cal deficit and ‘some’ cardio will allow you to drop about a lb a week (if you’re holding onto your lbm), so approximate what weight you think you would need to be at for a show, then give yourself a few MORE weeks to do it.

MOst of the nat competitors I know don’t play with water as much as you would think from reading the geared up BBing articles. Your msucles re mostly water, so restricting them is not always your best option. Sure your stomach will bloat after drinking a sizable amount of anything, but if you can find layne norton’s prep of Jeffers from last year I think, you’ll see some insane conditioning, and no water manipulation at all.

S

[quote]andruw_doucette wrote:
Hi guys,

A group of my buddies and I thought we would do a natural show.
Why not right, I never plan on using gear so a natural show at 143 or 154 lbs would be more for the experience than anything.

So back on point,

I know how to diet and lose weight but the biggest thing I am wondering in is

a. Dieting from 178 12.3% bodyfat…Diet length…12 wks?
b. How high should my calorie count be, and when do I lower carbs
c. 6 days to lean…is this a good article (has anyone tried the vegetable glycerol?)
d. Any extra tips to make sure I am as shredded as possible.[/quote]

Sorry man but if your taller than 5’6" I’d put on some muscle before competing. Personal reasons for competing are cool but looking like you do not belong on stage is not.

Carb Cycle diet, length depends on how well you burn fat (do you know your body?)

extra tips: diuretic, but make sure it’s one that qualifies for natty’s.

DG

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
andruw_doucette wrote:
Hi guys,

A group of my buddies and I thought we would do a natural show.
Why not right, I never plan on using gear so a natural show at 143 or 154 lbs would be more for the experience than anything.

So back on point,

I know how to diet and lose weight but the biggest thing I am wondering in is

a. Dieting from 178 12.3% bodyfat…Diet length…12 wks?
b. How high should my calorie count be, and when do I lower carbs
c. 6 days to lean…is this a good article (has anyone tried the vegetable glycerol?)
d. Any extra tips to make sure I am as shredded as possible.

Sorry man but if your taller than 5’6" I’d put on some muscle before competing. Personal reasons for competing are cool but looking like you do not belong on stage is not.

Carb Cycle diet, length depends on how well you burn fat (do you know your body?)

extra tips: diuretic, but make sure it’s one that qualifies for natty’s.

DG
[/quote]

Thanks, but I have watched guys win the 143 and 156 class at my height. I’m not competing to win, I know I’m not that caliber, its for fun, all packing more muscle on will do is put me in a higher weight class. Thanks for the tips

you aren’t competing to win? Then whats the point lol? Seems like a cop out to me.

“Oh I got 9th place, its ok, I wasn’t trying to win.” Why don’t you do this when you actually want to win and thus give it your all.

[quote]andruw_doucette wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:
andruw_doucette wrote:
Hi guys,

A group of my buddies and I thought we would do a natural show.
Why not right, I never plan on using gear so a natural show at 143 or 154 lbs would be more for the experience than anything.

So back on point,

I know how to diet and lose weight but the biggest thing I am wondering in is

a. Dieting from 178 12.3% bodyfat…Diet length…12 wks?
b. How high should my calorie count be, and when do I lower carbs
c. 6 days to lean…is this a good article (has anyone tried the vegetable glycerol?)
d. Any extra tips to make sure I am as shredded as possible.

Sorry man but if your taller than 5’6" I’d put on some muscle before competing. Personal reasons for competing are cool but looking like you do not belong on stage is not.

Carb Cycle diet, length depends on how well you burn fat (do you know your body?)

extra tips: diuretic, but make sure it’s one that qualifies for natty’s.

DG

Thanks, but I have watched guys win the 143 and 156 class at my height. I’m not competing to win, I know I’m not that caliber, its for fun, all packing more muscle on will do is put me in a higher weight class. Thanks for the tips
[/quote]

Nobody really cares if you win a lightweight division unless your a midget. Bodybuilding is about building BIG LEAN MUSCLE.

I love competing agains people like you who do it ‘for the experience’ or just ‘don’t compete to win’

Don’t even compete at all then, I don’t see the point. If your not trying to win then what for, just to tell people you’ve done a show??? Sorry man, but I take this kind of seriously and I don’t like people who at least are not competitive.

Good luck in whichever you decide.

DG