Dietary SatFat, Cholesterol and T Levels

Has anyone actually measured the effects of a diet high in saturated fat and cholesterol on testosterone levels?

I mean, the theory that you can increase intake of the former to achieve the latter sounds good, but I’m wondering if anyone’s ACTUALLY measured it.

I’m probably going to spend the next few months trying it out, especially since I got my T levels measured a few weeks ago; it’d be nice to have some empirical evidence one way or another.

ask and yee shall receive

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/64/6/850.abstract?sid=093e6cc1-b5e7-4e1b-8612-d089cc70fdf6

Conclusion (mine): be a man, eat a high-fat diet.

That’s cool. That’s kind of what I thought.

Granted, I’ve been eating a pretty high fat diet to begin with… I just haven’t been as strict as I could be. The plan is to tighten that up and see what that ends up doing.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Granted, I’ve been eating a pretty high fat diet to begin with… I just haven’t been as strict as I could be. The plan is to tighten that up and see what that ends up doing.[/quote]

Above 15 to 20 percent of the diet, you’re not going to see significant changes in T levels the more you increase fat.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Granted, I’ve been eating a pretty high fat diet to begin with… I just haven’t been as strict as I could be. The plan is to tighten that up and see what that ends up doing.[/quote]

Above 15 to 20 percent of the diet, you’re not going to see significant changes in T levels the more you increase fat.

[/quote]

This I would agree with.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[/quote]

This I would agree with.[/quote]

That’s interesting too. I figured it would be more linear than that.

So what would you attempt to try to increase it above that point? If it tops out at 15-20 percent, there’s clearly some rate-limiting step going on. What would that be, and how could you attempt to override it?

[I’ll keep trying to answer those questions myself, I just figured I’d ask.]

As far as dietary limiting factors, so far I’ve seen zinc, selenium, cytochrome P-450, and cholesterol (obviously).

I’m not really talking about taking DHEA or LH directly, rather trying to figure out how to “naturally” alter those levels via diet.

You’ve pretty much got it.

Other than that, your efforts would be better spent on optimizing sleep and having a good handle on stress :wink:

Lol, well that was a really involved discussion there.

But thanks for the confirmation.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

That’s interesting too. I figured it would be more linear than that.

So what would you attempt to try to increase it above that point? If it tops out at 15-20 percent, there’s clearly some rate-limiting step going on. What would that be, and how could you attempt to override it?

[I’ll keep trying to answer those questions myself, I just figured I’d ask.]

As far as dietary limiting factors, so far I’ve seen zinc, selenium, cytochrome P-450, and cholesterol (obviously).

I’m not really talking about taking DHEA or LH directly, rather trying to figure out how to “naturally” alter those levels via diet.[/quote]

Most things in our body operate logarithmically, not linearly. Otherwise, we’d be pretty dead. It’s less of a ceiling/cap so much as a logarithmic rate of diminishing returns. I wouldn’t really know how to sidestep it and I don’t really think it should be messed with in any way.

By doing things “right,” you could potentially stack benefits from a variety of sources, but that’s probably the best hting you could do. And I imagine there’s a diminishing return on that too.

Not saturated fat, but taking vitamin D3. Recall this personal experiment a fellow did with taking vitamin D3 and measuring his testosterone levels. He started out at 328ng/dl and after taking D3 for a few months ended up with a test. measurement of 774 ng/dl.

“Vitamin D and Testosterone: Another “Fountain of Youth” Find”

[quote]Menthol wrote:
Not saturated fat, but taking vitamin D3. Recall this personal experiment a fellow did with taking vitamin D3 and measuring his testosterone levels. He started out at 328ng/dl and after taking D3 for a few months ended up with a test. measurement of 774 ng/dl.

“Vitamin D and Testosterone: Another “Fountain of Youth” Find”

http://hearthawk.blogspot.com/2008/03/vitamin-d-and-testosterone-another.html[/quote]

That seems misleading. He was at 300s, then started topical T, then had 700s… stopped topical T and it stayed up (no pun intended)

oh, and add “dont’ take statins”… if you want to keep your sex hormones functioning optimally :wink: