Diet/Workout for Losing Excess Weight

i am planning on losing some fat in december until mid january, when i will be gymless. i plan to pull a homemade sled, and find something to do with 1 40lb dumbbell, a pullup bar, and maybe some sandbags. i was looking at the V-Diet but i seem to be lacking muscle (5’9, 184, 18%bf) and cannot afford so much Metabolic Drive. i don’t really know much other effective diets though.

so my goal is to lose fat, retain as much muscle as possible over those weeks.

several questions arise:

1. what diet is good for loss of fat and muscle retention (or what should the philosophy be to do this)?

2. is sled dragging good for fat loss (cardio) and lower body strength retention? haven’t done it yet and haven’t made it (with a tire i presume)

3. what can i do about upper body-can i pull off something with a sled for this?

4. how is your day :)?

thanks!

If you can kill it or plant it, eat it. Stay away from the middle aisles at your local grocery store and keep your oats to whole grain and oatmeal. That’s what you can eat. Now just workout hard and put yourself in a caloric deficit. you’ll lose weight.

sled dragging’s just fine, add some sled sprints, bear crawls etc.

sled drag by pulling, or try some other crazy stuff like twists idk for upper body. Curls and presses with the sandbags, treat the sandbags like big dumbells, do rows with em etc. you’re only limited by your imagination…well that and any serious weight but make do

my day’s fine thank you

thank you mr 1guy!

i guess the most important thing about cutting is keeping protein high? what’s the recommended protein intake here?

training: makes sense. i’ll make more stuff up like climbing trees and wrestlin with squirrels.

[quote]kickureface wrote:
thank you mr 1guy!

i guess the most important thing about cutting is keeping protein high? what’s the recommended protein intake here?

training: makes sense. i’ll make more stuff up like climbing trees and wrestlin with squirrels.[/quote]

Make sure you pick the big badass squirrels!

You don’t need to do a crazy diet, you are 18% body fat. Just eat less and move more. Yes, it is necessary to keep protein high while dieting, 1g/lb is a good recommendation. Make some good food choices and maintain a calorie deficit.

thank you mr 1guy!

training: makes sense. i’ll make more stuff up like climbing trees and wrestlin with squirrels.[/quote]

Depending on where you live, that might be difficult. I’m pretty sure squirrels hibernate in the winter. Try wrestling a deer.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
kickureface wrote:
thank you mr 1guy!

training: makes sense. i’ll make more stuff up like climbing trees and wrestlin with squirrels.

Depending on where you live, that might be difficult. I’m pretty sure squirrels hibernate in the winter. Try wrestling a deer.[/quote]

but progression’s the key, after deers are a cakewalk you have to move up to bears, or gains will stall out

quick serious: any thoughts on carbs on losing fat?

bears don’t spawn here, except at ucla. if i ever encounter one, i’ll paint its nails pink and 20rep squat it (only if it isn’t over 400lbs)

quick serious: any thoughts on carbs on losing fat?

[/quote]

keep em low, if you worry about performance in the “weight room” then cycle em

I would cycle carbs before trying to take them to very low levels. I’ve tried low-carbing - it works for a little while.

i am planning on losing some fat in december until mid january, when i will be gymless. i plan to pull a homemade sled, and find something to do with 1 40lb dumbbell, a pullup bar, and maybe some sandbags. i was looking at the V-Diet but i seem to be lacking muscle (5’9, 184, 18%bf) and cannot afford so much Metabolic Drive. i don’t really know much other effective diets though.

so my goal is to lose fat, retain as much muscle as possible over those weeks.

several questions arise:

1. what diet is good for loss of fat and muscle retention (or what should the philosophy be to do this)?

2. is sled dragging good for fat loss (cardio) and lower body strength retention? haven’t done it yet and haven’t made it (with a tire i presume)

3. what can i do about upper body-can i pull off something with a sled for this?

4. how is your day :)?

thanks![/quote]

This is excellent and I can see you have done your homework! In terms of diet I would do 14 days no carbs (less than 50 grams) with ample fats and 2 grams of protein/ lb bw and at the 14 day mark I would begin adding in a carb MEAL at the end of every 7th day.

Sled dragging is great and IMHO not enough people do it. It is a great way to not only build your work capacity and ability to exhert force but, a great jump start for the metabolism. The best resource I have found for information on how to mix it up is Charles Poliquin’s Applied Strongmen Training Book. If you are feeling really crazy I’ve got one for you…I grew up in West Lafayette Indiana and I was there when NFL pro back Mike Alstott was there. That guy would attatch a harness to his jeep and drag it around the parking lot…what a beast!

Best of luck with your goals and let me know if ther is anything I can offer to help!

I would do what laroyal suggested - I just didn’t have time to type it all out :wink: