Diet to Match Late Night Workouts

I need some advice for pre and post-workout meals for a workout schedule that occurs very late in the day. Here are the givens:

I workout from 9:00pm-10:30pm most nights, and go to bed at 12:00am. I am overweight at this point, so fat loss is by far my biggest concern. A distant second to fat loss is maintaining strength. I will be training for strength for the foreseeable future and not so much for size. I also eat a vegan diet.

My question is, what pre and post-workout meals would be the most conducive to fat loss at this late hour? I would like to have a sufficient amount of energy for the late workouts as well as a fairly good recovery meal. Please keep in mind that I will be going to bed almost immediately after the post-workout meal and that I prefer it be vegan.

Thank you for your time.

If you are honest about fat loss, with strength MAINTENANCE as a goal then your workout should consist only of 3-4 work sets of 1-3 reps on 3-5 compound exercises. So for maximum fat loss, the plan is to use only dietary reductions to reduce bodyfat, and training only to maintain strength. Since 3-4 work sets of 1-3 reps on 3-5 compound exercises has literally ZERO carbohydrate/glycogen cost, then you shouldn’t need carbs to get through your workout, though if your carbs are already high you may feel week when you reduce them.

Optimal blood sugar and insulin sensitivity occur with not less than 100 and not more than 200 grams of daily carbs.

So if you set your daily levels at about 150 grams of carbs, and 150 grams of protein, that’s 1200 cals. The rest should be from fat. So if you are using 2000 cals a day, then that’s 400 cals from fat.

You might need an extra 150 cals to fuel that workout. They should come from BCAA’s and MCT fats plus creatine maybe 2 hours before training.

So I’d say 5 grams creatine 2 hours ahead of time,
and about 15 grams BCAAS, and maybe 1 tablespoon of coconut oil about 30 minutes before training.

Pea protein is a pretty good source of BCAAs, but not super concentrated, so maybe 45 grams of pea protein, and a tablespoon of coconut oil, or 2 cups coconut milk.

That’s the absolute truth. If you think you need carbs for a strength maintenance ONLY program you are wrong, and if strength maintenence means more that 3 reps per set for you you are also wrong. More than 3 reps while cutting 500-800 cals a day will just burn muscle.

If you are actually going to do higher rep training, certainly 6-10 or more reps, you should shift to carbs around the workout. Some will say, why not do 6-10 reps on a submaintenance calorie diet with moderate to low carbs, but that is really backwards. You are taking calories OUT of a muscle, rather than out of your diet (where it is going to end up at least in part, replenishing fat. Why take cals out of a muscle when you can take them off the table?

By the way, Biotest Leucine and BCAA’s structured peptides MIGHT actually be derived from plant sources. In that case I’d use one of them, probably the BCAA’s on a cutting/strength maintenance, 4 scoops, probably 2 before and 2 after, or at least after the 1 hour mark. Then a slower active protein an hour later.