T Nation

Diet to Get Down to 10% BF or Less

1.5 years ago I was 260lbs.

Now I am 200lbs and about 13% bodyfat. I would like to get down to 10% or less.

I do 20 minutes on an elliptical first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

Meal #1: 7:30
1 optimum nutrition whey
1 cup oatmeal
2 tsp brown sugar
2 fish oil capsules

Meal #2: 10:15
2 whole eggs
2 egg whites
1 slice low fat cheese
¼ cup almonds
8 oz watermelon

Meal #3: 12:00
6 oz beef or chicken
½ brown rice
¼ red pepper, sliced
¼ cup onion, sliced
2 fish oil capsules

Meal #4: 1:00
6 oz beef or chicken
2 oz spinach
1 tbsp balsamic dressing
¼ red pepper, sliced
¼ cup onion, sliced

Meal #5: 3:30
6 oz beef or chicken
½ brown rice
¼ red pepper, sliced
¼ cup onion, sliced

• Mondays at 4:30 I run 3 miles, then do a circuit of incline bench, weighted pull ups, and bodyweight squats.

• Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturday at 5:30 pm I do 1.5 hours of BJJ.

• Wednesdays at 4:30 I run 3 miles.

PWO - 1 serving Surge

Meal #6: 8:00 pm
1 optimum nutrition MRP

The diet breakdown is:

Calories - 2583
Fat - 87g
Carbs - 177g
Fiber - 18g
Protein - 249g

Sorry, I hit submit too quick…

How does that look? I plan on subing the rice with asparagus once in a while depending on how my energy levels are.

I would say cut down on the carb if you are cutting.

Have you been losing fat/on calorie restricted diet for the last 1.5 years? I went from 215 down to 118 then up to 150. The biggest mistake I made was losing all the weight without ever bringing calories back to maintenance or above. I would bring your calories up about 250/week until you gain about a pound. Then go back down 250 and stay there for a few weeks. Then go back to dieting.

Your diet looks good. You could take out the sugar and substitute spleda in your oatmeal, replace the brown rice in meal 3 with black beans, or just more veggies. You could also replace the watermellon with a cup of mixed berres, or an apple. Also, on wednesday, you could try omitting the Surge.

Might want to look at the Anabolic Diet or Velocity Diet

Overall, it looks like its been working good for you. Just my .02 here

Try SLOWLY lowering carbs while increasing good fats like olive oil etc…

Meals 1 & 2 are only an hour apart. I would try spreading them out a bit.

Eliminate the brown sugar (i know its not much).

Replace the watermelon with a lower GI fruit like berries.

Replace the rice with something like beans.

Check out John Berardi’s “Get Shredded Diet.”

You don’t need the Velocity diet for this. That’s for people who are very, very overweight and need to drop a lot of weight/fat.

Why do people keep suggesting the Velocity diet for people that it’s not intended for?

I love John Berardi’s stuff, that is what I based this diet on.

But, I am having a hard time eating all the meals. I have missed one of the beef meals each day.

I just picked up some waxy maize, I’m going to replace some of the PWO Surge with it.

Is it ok to mix in some BCAA’s with the waxi maize or will it slow the absorption?

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Check out John Berardi’s “Get Shredded Diet.”

You don’t need the Velocity diet for this. That’s for people who are very, very overweight and need to drop a lot of weight/fat.

Why do people keep suggesting the Velocity diet for people that it’s not intended for?[/quote]

The Velocity diet isnt just for people who are morbibly obese. I would recommend it to many weightlifters who have never seen there abs, given they already have a good foundation of muscle.

It was created to modify your eating habits, this includes night cravings, or emotional eating. More than likely this guy is an ideal candidate. Drop the hammer, V-Diet that shit. forget the moderate approach if its not working.

lol, I’m not doing The Velocity diet …

Try a keto diet…

Pro: 1.5-1.75g/lb
Fat: 0.5-0.75g/lb
Carbs: <30g a day and you can have 1 big carb meal a week and I guess you can increase that amount depending on your progress etc.

It’s not for everyone, but if you think oyu can handle the low carb lifestyle for a little while, try it out. Another option would be simply using a low carbs approach, but with more carbs, slightly less fat…Making sure majority of you carb intake is Post workout only and Pro/Fat meals for the rest of the day.

GJ

Am I going to have enough energy on a keto diet. I do a lot of BJJ and Muay Thai. It’s sucks royally to gas out.

[quote]Matt- wrote:
Am I going to have enough energy on a keto diet. I do a lot of BJJ and Muay Thai. It’s sucks royally to gas out.[/quote]

as long as you stay around or under 50 carbs you will have loads of energy. you just have to keep yourself in ketosis. Also, make sure you eat enough fat, that is another really people say their fatigued.