T Nation

Diet to Get Big and Strong?

i realize all my views before were horrible, i dont want to weigh so little. what i want to do is build quality mass but i dont want to eat so much that i get fat. stats:

5"3, 119 in the morning.

i do 5x5 strength program on days i dont train.

i train thai boxing 2 times a week for an hour each time

i train brazillian jiu jitsu 2 times a week an hour each time

i do HIIT cardio once a week, a do 10 miles on a stationary bike for 30 minutes on the other days. calorie burn is 300 according to it, but i dont know how accurate it is since it doesnt ask for my height/weight.

i want to know this, how many calories should i eat a day to grow big and strong not wide and fat. im no longer afraid of carbs, so macros high in carbs would be fine. please help me as i am really willing to listen to anything and everything, i will give progress updates as well. i promise!

Make a food log, track your calories and your weight. Make increases as needed.

Try to keep your carbs in meals up to and and after you train (lifting or martial arts) and stick with protien/fat meals afterwards.

If your that active, it will be easier to gain lean muscle.

Good luck

how many cals per day?

[quote]tplet wrote:
how many cals per day?[/quote]

As many as it takes to start growing and continue growing. Weighing yourself 2-3 times per month is a good way to keep track of progress.

Do you really think anyone can tell you how many calories you need to eat?

What you need to do is to weigh yourself, log your food intake for 2 weeks, eating the same amount of calories each day, then weigh yourself at the end of the 2 weeks to see if you gained weight or lost weight. You adjust from there. I feel like this has been said before, somewhere…

It’s mind boggling how complicated you are making this. 14 year olds should not be worried about counting calories but you are hung up on this shit so bad that you can’t see otherwise.

For the last time STOP WORRYING ABOUT GAINING FAT!

What he said, you can be a skinny little kid for the rest of your life or you can man up and gain a little fat and a lot of muscle, your choice.

[quote]tplet wrote:
i want to know this, how many calories should i eat a day to grow big and strong not wide and fat. im no longer afraid of carbs, so macros high in carbs would be fine. please help me as i am really willing to listen to anything and everything, i will give progress updates as well. i promise!
[/quote]

You won’t know how many calories are needed until you get there. The best anyone can do is give you a formula to help you arrive at a starting place, but it’s just as easy to begin eating more and chart your progress.

Seriously, with all your prior posts, you just need to start doing and stop asking.

If you need a program to follow, Cy’s Skinny Bastard Diet is a good place to start.

thats the problem though, im the body type with bad genetics that puts on fat very easilly…skinny bastard diet would be no good. and my bf % is already close to 15

I appreciate that at least you’re set on gaining weight now. But you weigh 120 pounds or so, you are not fat. It will take a lot of food with no training to make you fat. Eat a lot and eat fairly intelligently, you’ll be fine.

when i saw my doctor…he did some tape measure test or BMI thing and got me at 9% body fat…but im confused, because my scale at home says 12.7% in the morning. i asked him why no abs showed if i was under 10% , he said that the way my body is…the only place i have that much fat on me…is pretty much all in my stomach. sucks.

[quote]tplet wrote:
when i saw my doctor…he did some tape measure test or BMI thing and got me at 9% body fat…but im confused, because my scale at home says 12.7% in the morning. i asked him why no abs showed if i was under 10% , he said that the way my body is…the only place i have that much fat on me…is pretty much all in my stomach. sucks. [/quote]

BF tests vary wherever you get them done, be it in a gym, doctor’s office or at home…
Only use the stat the doc gave you as an estimate

I think with the level of activity you are doing, and the fact that you only 14 and still growing alot you will find it VERY hard to put on fat…
Also, doing long distances even on bikes can recruit alot of the wrong muscle type fibres you want for gaining muscle

[quote]tplet wrote:
thats the problem though, im the body type with bad genetics that puts on fat very easilly…skinny bastard diet would be no good. and my bf % is already close to 15[/quote]

Yet you still miss the point.

Regardless of what your body fat percentage is, you’re still skinny because you have essentially no muscle.

Until you stop being hung up on what some unreliable bio-electric-impedance scale says your body fat is, you’ll be unlikely to make any significant progress.

for my height/weight frame i do have muscle though…if im 9% body fat from what a doctor says, and only 5"3…i dont want to be HUGE just in better shape

[quote]tplet wrote:
when i saw my doctor…he did some tape measure test or BMI thing and got me at 9% body fat…but im confused, because my scale at home says 12.7% in the morning. i asked him why no abs showed if i was under 10% , he said that the way my body is…the only place i have that much fat on me…is pretty much all in my stomach. sucks. [/quote]

Or . . here’s a crazy thought . . .since you have effectively no muscle, you don’t have any ab muscle to show.

You’re 14, you just hit puberty yesterday practically. How do you expect to have a developed enough midsection to even have abdominal definition?

instead of the 30 minutes on the bike do your homework, and drink a protein shake or something.

[quote]tplet wrote:
for my height/weight frame i do have muscle though…if im 9% body fat from what a doctor says, and only 5"3…i dont want to be HUGE just in better shape[/quote]

When are you going to realize that you need to stop listening to everyone else and just do what your body is telling you to do?

If you want to be bigger eat more and train harder. If you want to be smaller eat a little less and expend more energy (cardio). THAT’S IT. There is nothing else to it.

Pick one BIGGER or SMALLER. This is a black and white issue, you can only choose one.

What you actually need to do is turn off the Supps/Nutrition forum from your preferences. That means no more posting about this nonsense. Turn it back on when you gain 30 pounds. 5’3 150 should be a good goal at this point.

OP I truly hope you are willing to eat, exercise and grow.

I think it would be tragic if you end up as a 5’3 adult because your physical growth got stunted by dieting during your developmental years.

[quote]tplet wrote:
…i dont want to be HUGE just in better shape[/quote]

I don’t think you need to worry about getting huge since you probably will not add any muscle until you get over your eating and image disorders.

steak, eggs & broccoli.

I’d have it all day long if I could afford that much steak!