Diet Tips/Hints?

Alright guys, I have been working to clean up my diet for the last 3 months but I am running into a few problems.

Before I elaborate I should clarify a few things-

1- Not trying to bulk nor cut, just trying to clean up my diet and make it healthier. After I manage that, I will think about other things.

2- I am young(19), and am a poor cook with little “know-how”. (My 3 years in cooking during high school apparently taught me that girls>cooking) I can follow a recipe, but if it calls for a “judgement call” I will mess up.

3- My main goal is improved GPP, however since I am also working on my diet I came here for help as many of you could be culinary experts and in fact know more about eating/cooking/diet than many chefs.

Now that I have said that, and hopefully prevented some confusion we can get to the heart of the post-

I am running out of things to eat that are both healthy and that I can cook. I have been eating canned tuna, canned chicken,bananas, peanut butter(on bagels or wheat bread), oatmeal and eggs for the last 3 months and I am starting to eye my friends’ non-healthy foods like frozen pizza.

So can anyone give me some healthy and hopefully easy alternatives/options that I can add to my terribly short list of foods?

Sorry if I am sounding like a whiner, but my taste buds are crying for a change, but I really do appreciate any responses I get.

[quote]SouthernBrew wrote:
Alright guys, I have been working to clean up my diet for the last 3 months but I am running into a few problems.

Before I elaborate I should clarify a few things-

1- Not trying to bulk nor cut, just trying to clean up my diet and make it healthier. After I manage that, I will think about other things.

2- I am young(19), and am a poor cook with little “know-how”. (My 3 years in cooking during high school apparently taught me that girls>cooking) I can follow a recipe, but if it calls for a “judgement call” I will mess up.

3- My main goal is improved GPP, however since I am also working on my diet I came here for help as many of you could be culinary experts and in fact know more about eating/cooking/diet than many chefs.

Now that I have said that, and hopefully prevented some confusion we can get to the heart of the post-

I am running out of things to eat that are both healthy and that I can cook. I have been eating canned tuna, canned chicken,bananas, peanut butter(on bagels or wheat bread), oatmeal and eggs for the last 3 months and I am starting to eye my friends’ non-healthy foods like frozen pizza.

So can anyone give me some healthy and hopefully easy alternatives/options that I can add to my terribly short list of foods?

Sorry if I am sounding like a whiner, but my taste buds are crying for a change, but I really do appreciate any responses I get.[/quote]

I suck ass at cooking too (thats what the fiancee is for!) and luckily I live on a base where people cook for me :wink:

Quickest suggestion - hit up menshealth.com for their diet section and all their recipes. They have very healthy, very easy to follow (its aimed at us guys) directions for everything. They arent aimed at bodybuilding either, just healthy and easy, like yourself.

Bro its not that damn hard just get a meat something that used to move, get a veggies. Cook said meat bake it, grill it heat the damn thing up somehow. The veggie eat it raw or steam it or micro it etc/ splash some olive oil on it. spices (experiment) bam your done. add a peice of fruit you got a good meal.

Experiement fish poultry, beef etc. a different veggie every week, buy a cook book, but most of my meals are simple but good make meat make veggie add spices etc and eat. worst thing that can happen is you make something that dont taste great dont do that one again.

Oh and a crock pot buy one throw in meat veggies spices turn on and enjoy a bit later.

just try things branch out

Phill

O.K eating healthy is pretty simple. Look up the 7 habits article by John Berardi to give you a framework for your nutrition.

Each meal needs to contain

1. protein - meat, chicken fish etc. George Foreman grills are great for this, or use your normal grill, or bake in the oven. Its best to cook up a bunch at a time then stick it in the fridge or freeze it so that you have it handy when you need it.

2. Veggies - hands down frozen vegetables are the simplest to prepare - just cook them in the microwave or boil them or whatever!

3. fat - choose a mono or poly. Therefore add nuts, seeds, Olive oil (flavoured varieties are handy!

4. Carbs (depending on your insulin sensitivity). Wholewheat breads, Brown rice sweet potatoes etc (the darker the carb the better!).

Use that as your base from there to add flavour try herbs / spices seasonings etc and experiment. For sauces etc chopped tomatoes, V8, yoghurt make great bases to start from.

Go buy Precision Nutrition package from precisionnutrition.com

It has the gourmet nutrition book with it that has hundreds of recipes. almost all are easy to do.

don’t be a pussy and wimp out eating the pizza. WTF w/ the bagels/bread? that’s not really clean per se unless you are skinny as.

-chris

hope this helps you out