T Nation

Diet Soda

OK… people at my work drink diet soda and I always give them a hard time because I know it’s not good for you, but then they say “oh look on the can, it’s zero calories and has splenda”

I know it’s bad, but how do I explain it to these people that simply drinking a diet soda isn’t going to help you lose weight?

Well, it depends, it is better than having a non-diet soda.

However, if the rest of their diet consists of fast food in large quantities, it’s not going to make a lot of difference.

I think a lot of people say “it is bad for you” but don’t really have much to back it up with.

So maybe it’s not that bad for you, true we don’t have anything data to back it up, yet.

Weight watchers says three diet soda’s equals one water… they couldn’t be wrong…

Alright, I’ll leave my co-workers alone… they already think I’m crazy for eating six times a day and eating all this protein and spinach salads…

Really, really not helping by getting on someones case about diet friggin coke.

Diet coke does help you lose weight- for a start I can drink it at the pub with my mates, not feel an idiot, and enjoy the taste.

Come on, im sure your coworkers are committing worse dietary sins!

Choose your targets

I avoid it just because of all the unpronounceable crap that it is made out of. I don’t need the sugar and I don’t need the caffeine, whether it has calories in it or not.

My wife drinks lots of diet soda and thinks that it is good for her. I continuously tell her to stop drinking that because it is not healthy. When she asks why I explain about the chemcials that are used in there to give the sweet taste.

This morning she sends me a forward stating all of the crap that I do plus more. I know that most forwards are crap but they reference a book by the name of Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills by Russell L. Blaylock.

Amazon Link

-Machine

Doesn’t carbonation do something to your teeth/gums?

I don’t see this being a problem for all the alcoholic beer guzzlers out there…

[quote]fedorov91 wrote:
Doesn’t carbonation do something to your teeth/gums?[/quote]

As long as you’re taking proper care of your teeth and gums, you should be okay. I was a hardcore pop/soda/whatever drinker in high school, and my teeth came out fine.

You know how everybody can’t stand those Jehovah’s Witnesses that go door to door trying to recruit people? You know how no one really seems to have an opinion about the Amish, who tend to stay to themselves? Be Amish, bro, unless somebody asks you about something health or fitness related (which you should take as a compliment to your physique,) then I’d say stay out of it and hesitate to pontificate, because as someone who works out, you know that 99.9% of people won’t change, even if they claim to desire to. All you’re gonna do is wind up pissing someone off or coming off like the local workout jackass, and nobody wants that :slight_smile:

Ace

p.s. I apologize if I have offended anyone based on the religions I’ve chosen above to illustrate my point. Follow my advice and tell everyone you’re as Scientologist and no one will bother you, you’ll clear out the room :slight_smile:

[quote]outlawkayak wrote:
OK… people at my work drink diet soda and I always give them a hard time because I know it’s not good for you, but then they say “oh look on the can, it’s zero calories and has splenda”

I know it’s bad, but how do I explain it to these people that simply drinking a diet soda isn’t going to help you lose weight? [/quote]

Well at least they are not drinking regular soda. People want to be able to enjoy themselves and not feel too deprived. If they can’t have the real thing, regular soda, then diet is the next best thing. Not everyone is interested in being as health conscience as everyone here at T-Nation.

I enjoy drinking soda, yet I don’t drink several sodas a day. My main drink of choice tends to be water.

As for the teeth thing, I had a dental assistant spend several minutes explaining to me how each sip of soda causes a 20 minute acid attack to the teeth. Regardless of what she said I still drink my diet soda when I want and I happen to have very nice pearly whites! :slight_smile:

Let them drink what they want. You’re the one who’s going to look better in the long run.

Just listened to Dr. Lonnie Lowery’s good explanation of the harmful effects of drinking diet cola in the Double Tap 4: T-Nation radio. Really good listen.

Drinking diet coke isn’t a big deal. It’s obviously a better alternative than drinking soda or juices loaded w/ HFCS. Water, crystal light, tea, etc. gets boring, and it’s nice to have a little variety. There’s nothing wrong w/ drinking diet drinks, especially if they’re in moderation.

I try to keep my diet soda consumption to a minimum. I consider it a treat. Anyways, Im sort of torn of the weight watchers stuff it has no sodium no caffiene & uses splenda but its still a bunch of unpronouncable crap in a can… Tastes so good though… doh

BTW Federov,

your line WAS funny

maybe it just got lost in the middle of all the other posts and people missed it?

either that or they hate you…

:wink:

The excito-toxins book was pretty good, although it didn’t really convince me that mono-sodium glutamate, aspartate etc. were harmful. If I remember correctly, neurons are only damaged or destroyed if there is a dearth of available nutrients and/or a magnesium deficiency.

I try to avoid extra ingredients such as MSG and aspartame anyway, just in case.