T Nation

Diet Soda and Doms?

Has anyone noticed impared recovery if drinking a lot of diet soda?

Well diet soda contains aspartame which is a known excitotoxin (and despite some of the supposed experts that downplay aspartame here) it is something that is serious threat to your health over the long term.

the phosphoric acid is probably not doing wonders for your body

Try water.

Although diet soda may be low in sugar and calories it still sucks as something to drink imo…

Some now and then probably won’t have any effects on recovery but if you drink them daily I’d suggest switching to water. lol

DG

I’ve read that caffeine can decrease the soreness after a workout, but it seems like you’d have to drink plenty of diet soda to get an effect like that.

It wont really effect you, though it is not as good as other stuff you could be drinking. It would be best to eliminate it from your diet, or to at least limit it.

Isn’t the phosphoric acid of the soda enough to negate any benefit that can come from its consumption?

http://www.wnho.net/blaylock_blasts_aspartame.htm

Nuff said on reasons to AVOID anything with aspartame.

i prefer milk.

if someone is pointing a gun in my face and making me choose coke or diet coke; diet obvioiusly…

how much are you drinking??

Drinking diet soda gives you cancer, rapes your children, aids in destroying the us economy, and helps support foreign terrorism.

Seriously, lighten up people. Saccharin has been around since the late 19th century.

What is “a lot”?

A couple of years ago I went through a semi-anorexic phase where I pretty much lived on diet root beer. And yes, the aspartame really screwed me up. I was completely drained of energy and had headaches all the time. I’ve heard that aspartame poisoning can be misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia and MS and after that experience I believe it, if someone’s downing enough.

It depends on how much you’re drinking and how sensitive you are to it. I’m not the type to be overly paranoid about what goes in my body, but yes, aspartame will have ill effects in excess. Just like anything else.

There’s lots of scare mongering here back up by little real science.

One probably shouldn’t get the majority of their fluids from diet sodas, but I’ve never seen any ill effects in myself or others from a couple a day.

[quote]hexx wrote:
Drinking diet soda gives you cancer, rapes your children, aids in destroying the us economy, and helps support foreign terrorism.

Seriously, lighten up people. Saccharin has been around since the late 19th century. [/quote]

Im not talking about saccharin… Im talking about aspartame. You can skirt the issue and mock it all you want. The fact remains it is a known excito-toxin and shouldnt be consumed by anyone anywhere. You got big business and fucktards like Donald Rumsfield to thank for all the collateral damage and ruined lives this shit has inflicted on the masses.

[quote]hexx wrote:

Seriously, lighten up people. Saccharin has been around since the late 19th century. [/quote]

It gives you herpes too…I swear it happened to a friend. At a bar he was drinking diet coke and rum, met this chick and BAM herpes…so he won’t touch diet coke again :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

People can lighten up if they wish, I hate that therm tho because it means settling for mediocracy.

If you want to take your physique to the next level then eliminate it from your diet. If you just want to look good on the beach then yea you can lighten up.

DG

HK their is plenty of research on aspartame that makes it painfully obvious it is seriously detrimental to your health. Google Dr Blaylock and aspartame (this guy is an acclaimed neurosurgeon and researcher who knows his shit) for the real deal on it. Your logic is a lot like smokers (I only do it a couple times a day). Well, your not looking at the cumulative long-term damage (relative short-sighted thinking) from consuming it.

Funny thing is this is the exact situation the cell phone is at (and according to the science if the problem is really as bad as it potentially could be) you will have a country with some serious health issues in the coming 5-10 years or so.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
There’s lots of scare mongering here back up by little real science.

One probably shouldn’t get the majority of their fluids from diet sodas, but I’ve never seen any ill effects in myself or others from a couple a day.[/quote]

BTW a lot of the research that shows aspartame to be completely safe is industry-funded. And almost ALL the studies that say it has serious issues are objective 3 party studies. Now the question is who are you gonna believe? (Hint : Merck and Vioxx, remember that cluster fuck?)

[quote]sluicy wrote:
What is “a lot”?

A couple of years ago I went through a semi-anorexic phase where I pretty much lived on diet root beer. And yes, the aspartame really screwed me up. I was completely drained of energy and had headaches all the time. I’ve heard that aspartame poisoning can be misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia and MS and after that experience I believe it, if someone’s downing enough.

It depends on how much you’re drinking and how sensitive you are to it. I’m not the type to be overly paranoid about what goes in my body, but yes, aspartame will have ill effects in excess. Just like anything else. [/quote]

You went through a phase of anorexia where you “pretty much lived off of diet root beer” and you think it was the aspartame that gave you head aches?

[quote]MrOldSchool wrote:
HK their is plenty of research on aspartame that makes it painfully obvious it is seriously detrimental to your health. Google Dr Blaylock and aspartame (this guy is an acclaimed neurosurgeon and researcher who knows his shit) for the real deal on it. Your logic is a lot like smokers (I only do it a couple times a day). Well, your not looking at the cumulative long-term damage (relative short-sighted thinking) from consuming it.

Funny thing is this is the exact situation the cell phone is at (and according to the science if the problem is really as bad as it potentially could be) you will have a country with some serious health issues in the coming 5-10 years or so.[/quote]

Okay, please show us the cumulative long-term damage from drinking diet sodas.

I’ll be over in the corner wearing my tin-foil hat drinking a Diet Coke in the meantime.

[quote]sluicy wrote:
A couple of years ago I went through a semi-anorexic phase where I pretty much lived on diet root beer. And yes, the aspartame really screwed me up. I was completely drained of energy and had headaches all the time.[/quote]

Lawl.

Erm…are you sure it was the aspartame that was giving you headaches and draining you of energy, and not the fact that you were living on diet root beer??

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
MrOldSchool wrote:

Funny thing is this is the exact situation the cell phone is at (and according to the science if the problem is really as bad as it potentially could be) you will have a country with some serious health issues in the coming 5-10 years or so.

Okay, please show us the cumulative long-term damage from drinking diet sodas.

I’ll be over in the corner wearing my tin-foil hat drinking a Diet Coke in the meantime.[/quote]