T Nation

Diet Soda and Artificial Sweeteners

Okay, I didn’t mean for this to be a big deal…obviously a bit of diet soda or artificial sweetner isn’t going to kill you, but I just found it rather interesting…especially the stuff about the effects of various things on blood sugar…guess I just like science too much…

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
The_Grim_Reaper wrote:
Actually ,there is some research being done right now on microwaves.Also,kids,in my opinion,don’t need to be vaccinated.I don’t get vaccinated every year and I haven’t been sick since I was thirteen.But most people will try to debunk such information so they remain affluent . …

You don’t need to get vaccinated every year.

Some kids can get away with not being vaccinated because most kids are vaccinated so it is very hard to spread the disease.

If everyone stopped getting vaccinated we would have widespread epidemics again.

And whowever thinks that chlorinated pool water is killing the bacteria in your colon must be giving himself a pool water enema.[/quote]

lol,
you would have quite a problem there zap if stuff you put in your mouth doesnt end up in your intestinal tract.

Widespread epidemics again?How aren’t we having wide spread epidemics? Last I checked America was getting sicker by the year…with or without flu shots. [quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
The_Grim_Reaper wrote:
Actually ,there is some research being done right now on microwaves.Also,kids,in my opinion,don’t need to be vaccinated.I don’t get vaccinated every year and I haven’t been sick since I was thirteen.But most people will try to debunk such information so they remain affluent . …

You don’t need to get vaccinated every year.

Some kids can get away with not being vaccinated because most kids are vaccinated so it is very hard to spread the disease.

If everyone stopped getting vaccinated we would have widespread epidemics again.

And whowever thinks that chlorinated pool water is killing the bacteria in your colon must be giving himself a pool water enema.[/quote]

Chlorinated water isn’t healthy for your skin.Just look on the back of the bleach bottle that you use when you clean your bathroom.It will say to avoid contact with skin.

Um,that was not the question.If,In some way ,you think that was a correct answer.

[quote]gdm wrote:
The_Grim_Reaper wrote:
PublickStews wrote:
gdm wrote:
I am down to one can of diet soda a day after a period of time (tax season) where I was up to 4 or 5 cans. Harmless, right? Well, I was feeling terrible during that time and happened to test my blood PH levels: off the charts acidic (5.5 was the lowest reading on the tape). An acidic blood environment can promote a plethora of ill-health effects.

Uhh, exactly how did you test your blood PH levels, by cutting yourself and bleeding onto the tape? If your blood’s PH was 5.5, you would be dead. The blood is kept at a constant pH no matter what you eat. The only thing that changes PH is your urine.

Very interesting.Please explain your theory of how urine can only change your Ph.By the way,you can buy test strips at your local hospital.

I used urine test strips which would of course test urine PH levels. I’m still very much alive.
[/quote]

[quote]gdm wrote:
The_Grim_Reaper wrote:
PublickStews wrote:
gdm wrote:
I am down to one can of diet soda a day after a period of time (tax season) where I was up to 4 or 5 cans. Harmless, right? Well, I was feeling terrible during that time and happened to test my blood PH levels: off the charts acidic (5.5 was the lowest reading on the tape). An acidic blood environment can promote a plethora of ill-health effects.

Uhh, exactly how did you test your blood PH levels, by cutting yourself and bleeding onto the tape? If your blood’s PH was 5.5, you would be dead. The blood is kept at a constant pH no matter what you eat. The only thing that changes PH is your urine.

Very interesting.Please explain your theory of how urine can only change your Ph.By the way,you can buy test strips at your local hospital.

I used urine test strips which would of course test urine PH levels. I’m still very much alive.
[/quote]

then why did you say blood? or are you somehow confused between red and yellow?

[quote]The_Grim_Reaper wrote:
Widespread epidemics again?How aren’t we having wide spread epidemics? Last I checked America was getting sicker by the year…with or without flu shots.
[/quote]

are you really this stupid?

[quote]The_Grim_Reaper wrote:
Um,that was not the question.If,In some way ,you think that was a correct answer.

[/quote]

Was this directed towards me? You need to practice your writing skills in order to communicate your thoughts better, and your reading comprehension could use some work too. I never said “urine changes your body’s ph.” I said that the pH of urine changes, but not the blood or other parts of the body, which are strictly regulated and kept very very close to 7.4

[quote]PublickStews wrote:
The_Grim_Reaper wrote:
Um,that was not the question.If,In some way ,you think that was a correct answer.

Was this directed towards me? You need to practice your writing skills in order to communicate your thoughts better, and your reading comprehension could use some work too. I never said “urine changes your body’s ph.” I said that the pH of urine changes, but not the blood or other parts of the body, which are strictly regulated and kept very very close to 7.4[/quote]

No,you said “The blood is kept at a constant pH no matter what you eat. The only thing that changes PH is your urine.” Don’t get mad at me for your illiteracy. If anything,you type like a thirteen year old highschool drop out who changes everything he says just to covor up his lack of proper english.

Glad you agree that blood pH never changes.

Could you give us examples of Journal Articles you found these statistics. Your friend on welfare doesn’t count.

Fact 3) There is significant evidence to suggest that flouride does NOT help prevent cavities. Comparing data between those areas with flourinated water and without (when economic level is the same) reveals no beneficial effect.

[quote]PublickStews wrote:
gdm wrote:

I used urine test strips which would of course test urine PH levels. I’m still very much alive.

Ok, that’s what I kinda figured. I’m just letting you know that your blood never changes pH, only your urine. So the acidity of your urine is nothing to worry about at all. If your blood moved above 7.8 or below 6.8, you would probably die.

This site:

http://www.chemistry.wustl.edu/~edudev/LabTutorials/Buffer/Buffer.html

explains how the body has buffers that that make sure the blood’s pH is always right around 7.4.[/quote]

Actually I remember reading that the body uses calcium to help restore the blood to a more alkaline pH. This is why they claim that most Americans are calcium deficient.

The problem is that the Standard American Diet places such a demand on the blood’s ability to self-regulate that it causes mineral deficiencies. This is despite Americans being among the top nations in calcium consumption.

I am not a chemist, but I also heard the phosporic acid in soda further depletes calcium levels in the diet, which leads to osteoporosis.

As was stated, we are introduced to many toxins by virtue of living in an industrial world/society. The key is to try to eliminate the things that are realistically within your control. That is why eliminating artificial sweeteners, sodas in general, and other unnatural foods with harmful additives is a logical choice if you seek optimum health.

AF Sergeant

[quote]Navy_Dentist wrote:
Could you give us examples of Journal Articles you found these statistics. Your friend on welfare doesn’t count.

Fact 3) There is significant evidence to suggest that flouride does NOT help prevent cavities. Comparing data between those areas with flourinated water and without (when economic level is the same) reveals no beneficial effect.
[/quote]

So, if it’s in a medical journal it must be true? Please…Medical journals aren’t gospel. I would even venture to say that some medical journals will print erroneous or bias information. After all, they are greatly influenced by the pharmaceutical industry. Need I say more?

AF Sergeant

No, Calcium doesn’t have anything to do with it. HCO3 and CO2 are the two things involved in the buffering.

[quote]PublickStews wrote:
No, Calcium doesn’t have anything to do with it. HCO3 and CO2 are the two things involved in the buffering.[/quote]

I merely stated what I have read in various articles. www.pureliquidgold.com/acid-alkaline-forming-foods.htm is just one example. I also said I am not a chemist so what you wrote went right over my head.

Whether it’s calcium or not that balances blood pH, you would have to say that diet has to be a major determinant as to how hard our body has to work to remain at its ideal pH.

With that being said, the average American diet has to place great demands on the body’s bio-chemistry to achieve and maintain equilibrium.

The bottom line is that soda, artificial sweeteners, and other unnatural food additives cannot be good.

AF Sergeant

I completely agree with USAFMTI.Just set realistic goals.I,personally,don’t use microwaves,drink diet soda,or consume artifitial sweeteners.That is my right as an American and a right that I feel proud about.A lot of people don’t realize that fitness and health go hand in hand

                        [quote]USAFMTI wrote:

PublickStews wrote:
gdm wrote:

I used urine test strips which would of course test urine PH levels. I’m still very much alive.

Ok, that’s what I kinda figured. I’m just letting you know that your blood never changes pH, only your urine. So the acidity of your urine is nothing to worry about at all. If your blood moved above 7.8 or below 6.8, you would probably die.

This site:

http://www.chemistry.wustl.edu/~edudev/LabTutorials/Buffer/Buffer.html

explains how the body has buffers that that make sure the blood’s pH is always right around 7.4.

Actually I remember reading that the body uses calcium to help restore the blood to a more alkaline pH. This is why they claim that most Americans are calcium deficient.

The problem is that the Standard American Diet places such a demand on the blood’s ability to self-regulate that it causes mineral deficiencies. This is despite Americans being among the top nations in calcium consumption.

I am not a chemist, but I also heard the phosporic acid in soda further depletes calcium levels in the diet, which leads to osteoporosis.

As was stated, we are introduced to many toxins by virtue of living in an industrial world/society. The key is to try to eliminate the things that are realistically within your control. That is why eliminating artificial sweeteners, sodas in general, and other unnatural foods with harmful additives is a logical choice if you seek optimum health.

AF Sergeant

[/quote]