Diet Questions

[quote]ftlty wrote:
Hi coach ,

What is your opinion about consuming mustard on a fat loss diet ?

[/quote]

Mustard is perfectly fine. It contains no calories. Ketchup, mayo and relish are to be avoided though.

[quote]pumped340 wrote:
Coach how would you ease someone in from a CKD used to get lean into a carb cycling plan like you and Shelby Starnes have written about?

I am guessing you would not just jump straight into the higher calories/carbs so I am very interested in how you would go about it most effectively to minimize any fat gain.

Thanks![/quote]

The first step would be to switch to a targeted carbs approach: having carbs only before, during and after a workout. The rest of the day is low carbs.

Then you reduce paraworkout carbs by keeping only the pre-workout ones.

You can then switch to full keto, but you could also keep 30-50g of carbs pre-workout

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
pumped340 wrote:
Coach how would you ease someone in from a CKD used to get lean into a carb cycling plan like you and Shelby Starnes have written about?

I am guessing you would not just jump straight into the higher calories/carbs so I am very interested in how you would go about it most effectively to minimize any fat gain.

Thanks!

The first step would be to switch to a targeted carbs approach: having carbs only before, during and after a workout. The rest of the day is low carbs.

Then you reduce paraworkout carbs by keeping only the pre-workout ones.

You can then switch to full keto, but you could also keep 30-50g of carbs pre-workout[/quote]

Sorry I think there was a misunderstanding. I meant going from Keto to carb cycling not the other way around. Would it just be the opposite by…
-adding in pre workout carbs
-adding more overall para-workout carbs
-go to carb cycling

?

If so, how long should each “phase” last and do you drop the refeed after the last one of a full keto week?

Thanks again

ftlty wrote:
Hi coach ,

Mustard is perfectly fine. It contains no calories. Ketchup, mayo and relish are to be avoided though.[/quote]

Coach,

The mustard that I have says it has 5 calories yet there isn’t any carbohydrates, protein, or fat in it. Why is this?

Also, even in a muscle-gaining phase, isn’t mayo bad because of the soy content, which is bad for our hormones?

[quote]Loui.s wrote:
Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
ftlty wrote:
Hi coach ,

Mustard is perfectly fine. It contains no calories. Ketchup, mayo and relish are to be avoided though.

Coach,

The mustard that I have says it has 5 calories yet there isn’t any carbohydrates, protein, or fat in it. Why is this?

Also, even in a muscle-gaining phase, isn’t mayo bad because of the soy content, which is bad for our hormones?[/quote]

Soy contains phyto estrogens that might act as mild estrogens in the body. I personally had very bad estrogenic reaction when using soy protein (without knowing it).

[quote]Loui.s wrote:
f

[/quote]

By law, you can say that a food has “zero” of something if a portion has 0.5g or less of that something.

So technically a serving could have 0.5g of carbs and 0.5g of protein which would provide for 4 calories.

CT, Looking jacked in the new pic!

Coach,

When using the TKD template, do you recommend a serving of fruit with breakfast to refill liver glycogen?

Thanks.

tyler

[quote]tyler15625 wrote:
Coach,

When using the TKD template, do you recommend a serving of fruit with breakfast to refill liver glycogen?

Thanks.

tyler[/quote]

Not really needed most of the time since you are still providing some carbs to the body and that it will use liver glycogen only when there is none left elsewhere

That makes sense, the only reason I asked is because I was considering the possibility the body would prioritize pre-workout carbs to the liver if it was depleted, but incidentals should do the job.

Thanks again Coach. Very informative.

tyler

Somewhat related to the TKD question…

CT now that you’ve been experimenting a little more, what would be your new recommendations for muscle growth as a primary goal while keeping fat at bay as possible? In terms of macro per lb/bw or lb/LBM

and how many of those carbs you recommend would be placed para-workout?

Thanks, I’m very interested in your new recommendations.

[quote]pumped340 wrote:

CT now that you’ve been experimenting a little more, what would be your new recommendations for muscle growth as a primary goal while keeping fat at bay as possible? In terms of macro per lb/bw or lb/LBM

Thanks, I’m very interested in your new recommendations. [/quote]

*NOT INCLUDING PARA-WORKOUT NUTRITION
1.25g of protein per pound
60-80g of fat
100-125g of carbs (can even go higher depending on how the individual is reacting)

pumped340 wrote:

60-80g of fat
100-125g of carbs (can even go higher depending on how the individual is reacting)

[/quote]

Thib, what is an optimal ratio for someone who’s looking mostly for recovery and maximal strength gains?

pumped340 wrote:

60-80g of fat

[/quote]

very interesting, I really think I’ve been bulking with fat too high (100+) and possibly not enough carbs. Also protein was around 1.8-2g/lb of body weight.

That only puts me at around 1750-2000 calories though. So you feel that would be adequate for off days while workout days would have another 500-1000 calories?

If you don’t mind a few follow up questions:

1. There is a very large difference in calories between the days, given your para-workout protocol adds I think about 200g of carbs and 50-100g protein so lets say about 1000 calories or so more. Not that that is a problem but on off days would you add anything, like say if the person did cardio the 3 days they weren’t working out?

2. If one were to stop gaining weight, what macro would you increase to add calories while keeping the individual from gaining unnecessary fat?

Thanks a lot CT

60-80g of fat

[/quote]

What about for cutting? And where would those carbs be placed other than maybe 50g at breakfast?

Coach,

Do you have specific diet guidelines you recommend to a client who is cortisol dominant? More specifically, can a low carbohydrate diet negatively affect the testosterone/cortisol ratio in a person already exhibiting cortisol issues?

Thanks.

tyler

[quote]tyler15625 wrote:
Coach,

Do you have specific diet guidelines you recommend to a client who is cortisol dominant? More specifically, can a low carbohydrate diet negatively affect the testosterone/cortisol ratio in a person already exhibiting cortisol issues?

Thanks.

tyler[/quote]

Yes it can. Well, to be fair, a regular diet can too. If the caloric deficit is too drastic, regardless of the macro composition, cortisol will tend to go up.

The main thing with cortisol and nutrition is the avoidance of the foods you are allergic/intolerant to. Ingesting these foods represents a stress and will increase cortisol output.

The problem is that a lot of these intolerences are without significant external symptoms; they can be quite subtle. So oftentimes a food allergy test is required. However it is still possible to rule out evident intolerences… you know that you are intolerant to a certain food when it makes you bloated or gassy.

[quote]Needmassquick wrote:

60-80g of fat

What about for cutting? And where would those carbs be placed other than maybe 50g at breakfast?
[/quote]

Actually, when training to gain mass I like to spread those carbs around in 30g increments throughout the day except for the last two meals of the day.

For example…

Breakfast: 30g of carbs
Snack: 30g of carbs
Lunch: 30g of carbs
Snack 2: 30g of carbs
Dinner: minimal carbs
Snack 3: minimal carbs

Paraworkout protocol: around 120-150g of carbs spread between pre and during.

Total: 240-270g daily

Then you adjust depending on how your body is reacting.

For cutting it depends on the individual, but in most cases I would drop all carbs except for para-workout. If the individual is good with carbs I’d add 30g at breakfast.

Needmassquick wrote:

60-80g of fat

Actually, when training to gain mass I like to spread those carbs around in 30g increments throughout the day except for the last two meals of the day.

For example…

For cutting it depends on the individual, but in most cases I would drop all carbs except for para-workout. If the individual is good with carbs I’d add 30g at breakfast.[/quote]

Christian,

For someone trying to lose fat, (not contest condition, but sub 10% BF) would you still include a lower protein, higher carb day like you mentioned earlier in your Amino Pulsing thread, or would you bypass the high carb, low protein day and just stick with carbs para-workout. Thanks

[quote]ndiddy85 wrote:
Needmassquick wrote:

60-80g of fat

For example…

For cutting it depends on the individual, but in most cases I would drop all carbs except for para-workout. If the individual is good with carbs I’d add 30g at breakfast.

Christian,

For someone trying to lose fat, (not contest condition, but sub 10% BF) would you still include a lower protein, higher carb day like you mentioned earlier in your Amino Pulsing thread, or would you bypass the high carb, low protein day and just stick with carbs para-workout. Thanks
[/quote]

I’d still include the low-protein day, but I wouldn’t jack up carbs too much