T Nation

Diet Problem

In September I moved and had no fixed address until Oct.I stopped working out for about 3 weeks because my gym equip. was all dismantled and I was not expecting it to go that long so I didn’t get a temp. gym membership. I kept eating the same as I did when I was working out which was roughly 4500 cals per day, 40% protein, 50% carbs and 10% fats. I gained 15 lbs and went from size 36 pants to 42. I resumed my workout schedule and have been doing it for a month now and I feel WAY off. My strength is going up, my workouts are awesome, but I always feel lethargic and I don’t get hungry every 2 or 3 hours like I used to. It feels like my metabolism has slowed and the weight isn’t coming off at all. I even get weird insulin spikes at off times. I want to stay in my bulking stage and don’t want to cut yet, but should I take a thermogenic for awhile to kick start my metabolism or bump up my protein or what? Please help cause it seems like everything as far as my diet that I used to do is wrong now for some reason and I am kinda stuck on what to try. Thanks.

What is your eating schedule like? You gave the macronutrient ratios but what types of fats and carbs are you eating? What are you doing for pre workout and post-workout nutrition? I’m not a big fan of thermogenics, so I would first critically analyze your diet and see if there are any things you can improve before resorting to thermogenics. Whats your current body composition, your total kcaloric intake may be to high for your current composition. Especially if your 15lb increase is mainly adipose tissue gain.

the human body is so neat… if you eat every 3 hours it will then get hungry every 2.5 hours, eventually… You can either bulk or you can cut… with a thermo you’ll lose a bit of water weight, feel happy you are losing the fat, then get frustrated again since the fat (actually water) loss will stop. So umm… maybe look in the mirror and really ask yourself… can I live with being 15 pounds overweight? if you can’t then you know what to do… I don’t know what the right answer is… maybe you should continue bulking even though overweight? I really don’t know… honestly I’ve stopped bulking everytime I felt I was getting out of control fat wise.

I’m no expert so take this with all the salt you can find. This training is a life style not a quick cure short sighted game. Take the long view. What is it you really want? how do you really want to look? Then tune your daily, weekly, etc lifestyle to achieve those goals. Sounds to me like you had things tuned and the break just broke the balance. I often must travel for 3-4 weeks at a time when work outs are all but impossible. Everytime I get back it takes me weeks to get back where I was. Lose the 2-3 new kilos and trim out again. Why? because I’m me and thats the way my body responds. Hay at 55 I’m pretty happy that this old bod still works. OK? The extra weight will come back down when your balance is re established again. I just do not agree with all this up and down roller coaster stuff. Find a balance and grow with it. Its a life style remember? So whats the rush?

I hope this will not sound too harsh as it’s not my intention.

“Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different outcome.”

Now, I’ll try to analyse your position. 1) You have gained 15lbs of fat. 2) You’re unhappy about that 3) but You don’t want to change anything?!

I think you’ll have to look again at your objectives priority. If you want to bulk up, then fine bulk up. Remember that while bulking-up, you’ll add fat, so your 15lbs might become 20-25lbs with time. It’ll be much harder and longer to lose 20-25lbs rather than 15lbs. If you want to cut(which it seems you don’t), then start cutting now, reduce your kcal and/or increase your activity level.

It’s all a matter of priority, look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself:“Am I feeling good with the extra weight?”. If you answer yes, hten go on. If you answer no, then change your plan so you’ll lose the extra weight.

As far as the thermo goes, don’t take them as it’ll not help you to bulk up and you’ll waste your money.

Again, I’m not flaming you, far from it. We all end up sometimes in this kind of situation and it really sucks. But we must be strong and wise enough to recognize the hard facts and act accordingly.

Hope this helps,
-LPdSB

I eat a large orange, 1 cup oatmeal, 2 whole eggs and 6 whites scrambled and 2 scoops of nitrotech for breakfast. Next a shake consisting of 65g of protein, 4g of carbs, 1 tsp of flaxseed oil and 1/2 litre of milk. Lunch is either 1.5 lbs of chicken breast(or 2 cans of tuna)with a bagel or bun of some kind. Then I have another shake the same way as before. Next is 1.5 to 2 lbs of beef, either lean ground or just a lean cut with broccoli or brussel sprouts (steamed) and a large yam or baked potato. To finish the day I usually have 3 medium chicken breasts with brown rice. I supplement with 5 780mg CLA caps, 1000mg Vitamin C, 1200 IU of Vitamin E. All spaced out during the day evenly with meals. I start the schedule within 30 minutes of waking up, eat every 2.5 to 3 hrs, and don’t eat 3-4 hours before bedtime. Hope that’s enough info. On workout days I take the Creatine mix post workout instead of with breakfast, then I drink a shake about 1 hour after that. Then resume my schedule with a whole meal.

I didn’t think your response was harsh at all and I thank you for your opinion. I hope I got your initials correct. I am just at a sticking point and if curbing my ignorance is the answer then that’s what I’ll have to do. I didn’t want it to seem like I wasn’t willing to change anything but my problem was that my diet is the exact same as before and if my outcome was different because of a slower metabolic rate then I would have to raise it before my gut hit my knees :slight_smile: Just needed some help. BTW I am 5’11, now 240 lbs, 15-20% BF. I forgot to add that to my post before.

Your diet looks pretty sound. Taking that into consideration the 15lbs your gain is probably 50-75% adipose tissue because of the same kcaloric intake, but your total daily kcaloric expenditure during the same time frame decreased because of lack of exercise which is why you gained weight. For the next 2 weeks drop your daily kcaloric intake 500 kcal per day to 4000 kcal total. See where your at at the end of the week, then drop another 500kcal to 3500kcal total per day for a 2 week period. This will help you drop some of the fat while supplying enough macro/micro nutrients and kcals to sustain your resumed workout schedule. At the end of the 4 week period you will be able to start increasing your kcal intake by 250kcal-500kcal per day/per week. Again keep track of your body comp and to a lesser extent scale weight, as this will help determine what total kcal intake is right for your current situation.

To Roadblock:

You got my initials almost right, but don’t sweat, most people writing french make at least 2 mistakes in my full name !:slight_smile: I agree with Renegadechef: decrease your kcal/day until bodycomp stabilized then increase kcal/day and activity. Then, remove your increase activity and enjoy your new higher metabolism!

-LPdSB

Below 30 % fat intake your male hormones will crash. At 10 % they might go so low as not to allow muscle to be gained. Bump the fat to 30% and you’ll see what I mean.