T Nation

Diet Plan??

Hello. I decided to boost up my strength while increasing my muscle mass. I want to look muscular but also have lots of strength. I started the Starting Strength program. However, what can I do to decrease my fat and increase my muscles? I’ve read many articles.

Some say to first cut down fat and others say to increase muscles. Also, the online bodyfat calculator says that I have 28% bodyfat. Does it look reasonable based on my picture? Thanks!

weight: 220lbs
height: 5’8"
calorie intake: around 3,000

Here is a great resource

[quote]indianlifter wrote:
I started the Starting Strength program. However, what can I do to decrease my fat and increase my muscles?[/quote]
I’d choose a different training plan. Starting Strength is a good plan, but it’s really not designed to help lose bodyfat so it’d be an inefficient tool for the job, especially when there’s as much as you need to lose.

There are other basic programs that have 3-4 days of lifting. Add in 2-3 weekly cardio sessions to start and you should be good to go. Plenty of simple nutrition plans around, like the one Pwnisher said. What are you currently eating?

Bodyfat percentage totally doesn’t matter, but if you need to know, I’d say yep, it’s probably in that ballpark.

Thanks for the response guys.

Chris, what other programs would you recommend? Also, I tried “the simple diet” and ended up gaining 10 pounds after 2 weeks! I eat food like there is no tomorrow even if its natural (chicken, rice, etc).

I think the problem with the foods I eat is that they are very oily. A typical Indian dish with meat is very very oily. I usually eat that with rice. My wife makes very traditional foods. Maybe thats the reason why I am gaining so much weight?

Indian, I’ve lost quite a bit of weight eating a primarily curry-based diet. You actually probably need to cut out the rice… it makes it a lot harder to overeat on the curry if you can’t dilute it w/ rice, especially if it’s oily.

Henriques tends to be a bit too carb-friendly for me. If you take his diet, but limit yourself to 2-3 cups of rice, you should be fine.

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
Indian, I’ve lost quite a bit of weight eating a primarily curry-based diet. You actually probably need to cut out the rice… it makes it a lot harder to overeat on the curry if you can’t dilute it w/ rice, especially if it’s oily.

Henriques tends to be a bit too carb-friendly for me. If you take his diet, but limit yourself to 2-3 cups of rice, you should be fine.[/quote]

I would say it is only as carb friendly as you make it. If you know you put on weight with carbs, you would just eat more meat and veggies instead. Just like you stated, crtitical thinking is still required.

I don’t get it. I lost 20 pounds a few months ago by eating 1,800 cals a day but I gained all the damn weight back AND I gained an additional 10 pounds. I HATE dieting. I tried ALL KINDS of dieting but NONE of them seem to work. If my body is hungry then it will eat anything. Right now I am doing intermittent fasting. I much prefer eating 1-2 meal a day vs 5 small meals.

Also I have a question. I sit on my chair most of the time in the day (for my studies). I am barely active. However, I lift crazy weights at the gym. Am I considered “moderately active” or “secondary”? Even though I am sitting most of the time, I still workout about 3 times a week for 40 minutes each workout.

Is there any way I can EAT WHATEVER THE HELL I WANT TO EAT while getting a better body? I don’t mind including cardio in my plan. Please help me get started! Thanks everyone

I hear what you’re saying bud. The best way to be able to eat a lot is to have a lot of muscle. A while back, when I was not in my best shape, I had my body fat measured. It was somewhere in the 15-20% range. That was down from 25%,so, I understand your situation. The girl doing the measurement said I had 90kilo muscle mass and that was my biggest advantage to lose body fat. Just resting all day I needed well over 3000calories per day to stay the same size .

Other guys on here can better explain how this can burn fat and the proper way to do it. All of that is to say one simple thing…Train really hard with serious intensity on a proven muscle building program! Have the eye of the tiger about building muscle. Its gonna take a while, but don’t give up, your body will slowly change and you will change also. Confusion

Is there any way I can EAT WHATEVER THE HELL I WANT TO EAT while getting a better body? I don’t mind including cardio in my plan. Please help me get started! Thanks everyone [/quote]

No. There is no way to “eat whatever the hell you want to eat” while still getting a better body. You can certainly get muscular, but you’ll never get lean or anything.

The problem, I would imagine, is that you would just eat more after you go for a long-ass walk.

What you can do is set a calorie limit, and start walking 5-6+ miles everyday at a fast and lively pace. Incline would be a plus.

Just move more. A lot more. It’ll help at least.

[quote]magick wrote:

Is there any way I can EAT WHATEVER THE HELL I WANT TO EAT while getting a better body? I don’t mind including cardio in my plan. Please help me get started! Thanks everyone [/quote]

No. There is no way to “eat whatever the hell you want to eat” while still getting a better body. You can certainly get muscular, but you’ll never get lean or anything.

The problem, I would imagine, is that you would just eat more after you go for a long-ass walk.

What you can do is set a calorie limit, and start walking 5-6+ miles everyday at a fast and lively pace. Incline would be a plus.

Just move more. A lot more. It’ll help at least.[/quote]

I really like this advice. It’s not that hard to do either!

From Dan John:

" A woman once asked me if I knew a diet where you could eat anything you wanted. I said yes, but first she’d have to eat two pounds of salmon, three cups of oatmeal, a cup of blueberries, two bowls of mixed vegetables, and a carton of cottage cheese. After she finished that each day, she could eat anything she wanted! "

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/the_history_of_dieting_and_take_home_lessons

Right now I am doing intermittent fasting.[/quote]
And how’s that working out for you?

You don’t need to eat 6 meals a day, but I’m guessing you’re the kinda guy (like myself) where, after a while, Intermittent Fasting turns into “Holy shit I’m so hungry at night I’m gonna drink melted butter eat the rest of last year’s Halloween candy.” A little more structure will probably help you. Plain old ‘three meals a day and a workout shake’ is a basic starting point.

Exercising two hours per week, I’d say you’re just a step above sedentary, especially considering your current shape and desired goals.

You already know the answer to this.

Train like this:

Eat like this:

Take front, back, and side pictures for your own records (wearing just a pair of shorts and not trying to pose/flex) and weigh yourself once a week (first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom/before eating or drinking). Make smart decisions to adjust things based on how things are progressing.

Now go start.

When I start eating food, I eat until I get full. There is no way I can allow food to just foreplay me without giving me satisfaction. But the good thing about my body is that I can fast for a long time with no problem. So I am now following the 5/2 diet http://www.T-Nation.com/diet-fat-loss/5-2-fat-loss-diet-for-lifters. Its been working great for me so far. I will post an update picture every week and hopefully I’ll get some results.

When I start eating food, I eat until I get full. There is no way I can allow food to just foreplay me without giving me satisfaction.[/quote]
This is exactly the kind of mindset that creates fat people. Truth.

Stick to the 5/2 plan, but understand that your approach to eating is what’s causing problems. I don’t mean to go all “Dr. Phil” on you, but it is what it is. Until getting lean is more important than getting full, you’re in for some trouble.

Overeating, (especially on carbs) + sedentary lifestyle = FAT

As has been said above, eat less carbs. I would initially go lower than 100 grams, to under 50 grams. You’ll feel way less hungry once you’re capable of mobilizing your fat reserves better (this can take up to 8 weeks so stick with the low carb for that time). You can start to raise carb intake after you’ve lost fat, gained muscle and increased your activities)

Lift heavy and build muscle. You’re probably insulin resistant so getting leaner would help with building muscle (and improving health).

Start adding some cardio. For example walking at a brisk pace that gets you sweaty but not out of breath. Wear a weight vest, start light and add pounds to the vest as you lose bodyweight. At least 3x a week, 30 min.

Good luck

Alright guys so here is my update: I’ve been walking fast pace for 3x a week and lifting for 3x a week and doing the 5/2 diet. I’ve been eating less than 120 carbs. I lost 2 pounds so far!!!

Nice, success with the new lifestyle :slight_smile:

Good job. Just keep up the work. The key is CONSISTENCY with nutrition and training.