T Nation

Diet Plan and Brown Sugar?

Need some help with this diet critique I’ve been working on, and I was wondering is brown sugar ok?

Breakfast
1 cup of steel oats and brown sugar in milk
2 scoops chocolate low carb MD in water

Snack
Superfood shake(one scoop vanilla low carb MD and scoop of Superfood)in water.
1 cup yogurt

Lunch
Greek salad w/ greek dressing
6 oz boneless chicken breast
2 hard boiled eggs

Pre workout
1 scoop chocolate or vanilla low carb MD
refried beans in whole grain tortilla w/ cheese.

During workout
1 amp (there bad I know)

PWO
1 scoop low carb MD
Greek salad w/ greek dressing
6 oz boneless chicken breast
3 hard boiled eggs
fruit salad

Dinner
sautéed mixed veggies and 12 oz of boneless chicken breast

Dessert
yogurt

now when you say yogurt, you need to specify? Greek yogurt? Plain, full fat, what is it? Also, what is your weight, height, bodyfat, goals through dieting?

oh…and use cinnamon and nutmeg instead of brown sugar. they are just as tasty and 1,000x better for you

Is Brown sugar okay as opposed to what?

If I’m correct, brown sugar is the same as white sugar with the addition of molasses.

So the real question is, are you trying to eat clean? Then you shouldn’t have sugar…period!

Amp has a ton of sugar too. If you cut out the sugar you have a pretty good diet. But with it, you might as well be eating a candy bar every day…how does that sound?

[quote]dratner wrote:
now when you say yogurt, you need to specify? Greek yogurt? Plain, full fat, what is it? Also, what is your weight, height, bodyfat, goals through dieting? [/quote]

reduced fat usually with fruit already in it… what ever is cheapest really.
i’m 6’1, 200lbs body fat id say somewhere in the ball park of 15 or 16%

and my goals are to lean up a bit. I figure basic training will be easier if I’m lean when I get there.

If your trying to gain weight don’t worry about it. Especially since you are eating it in the morning. Generally sugar isn’t great whether it’s in the morning or whenever, but I have to put some sugar on my oatmeal just to be able to stand it.

Your diet looks prettt good (aside from the Amp) so having some sugar in the morning probably isn’t going to make a big difference. Personally I wouldn’t worry about it but then again I’m not too worried about fat gain at this point.

yeah your diet looks good in exception of the amped and the yogurt. Check the ingredients on the yogurt your eating, does it have high fructose corn syrup or corn syrup? If it does, do not eat it. Get rid of it. it’s crap. buy skim plain yogurt, or skim milk plain greek yogurt.

i have some cin/brown sugar with my sweet potatoes.

as long as you keep it to a minimum don’t sweat it.

[quote]dratner wrote:
yeah your diet looks good in exception of the amped and the yogurt. Check the ingredients on the yogurt your eating, does it have high fructose corn syrup or corn syrup? If it does, do not eat it. Get rid of it. it’s crap. buy skim plain yogurt, or skim milk plain greek yogurt. [/quote]

I need the amp for energy when working out… I work out in hour and a half sessions… Ive seen great results with the amp hour+ workout combo.

I buy organic yogurt in w/e flavor the cheapest I can find… so yes it is good for me.

Put the Metabolic Drive in the Oatmeal and use water instead of milk. It will cut down on calories and sugar and taste like a dessert. Trust me it’s delicious. Add some Cinnamon and you’ll forget all about the brown sugar.

[quote]Spencerulz wrote:
dratner wrote:
yeah your diet looks good in exception of the amped and the yogurt. Check the ingredients on the yogurt your eating, does it have high fructose corn syrup or corn syrup? If it does, do not eat it. Get rid of it. it’s crap. buy skim plain yogurt, or skim milk plain greek yogurt.

I need the amp for energy when working out… I work out in hour and a half sessions… Ive seen great results with the amp hour+ workout combo.

I buy organic yogurt in w/e flavor the cheapest I can find… so yes it is good for me. [/quote]

Even if the yogurt is organic, if it is flavored then it has a ton of sugar added.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
So the real question is, are you trying to eat clean? Then you shouldn’t have sugar…period!
[/quote]

Actually, the REAL quesrtion is, do you need to eat super clean to make optimal gains?

the answer is no.

there was a study that showed that replacing 60% of the carbohydrates in a diet with pure sucrose (i.e. table sugar) produced NO INCREASE in bodyfat when calories were held constant.

In other words, brown sugar isn’t any more fattening than an equal amount of calories from any other carb source.

Clean eating for the lose.

first of all, you don’t know what type of people those studies were taken on, if they already had fast metabolisms, gifted for hypertrophy, or if they consumed 60% of this sucrose during training time, etc. Ronnie Coleman could eat pizzas and fries all the time in his early career and still look better than ANY of us if we tried our hardest…he’s a genetic freak.

Now, spencercurlz might be a genetic freak, or he might be a normal guy whose trying to bust his ass like the rest of us. If that’s the case, then yes, eating brown sugar would not be the ideal source of carbohydrate for his body type, especially if he’s 15%. Nor would the yogurt that he is eating, whether it’s “natural” sugar or not, it is still undoubtedly going to raise his blood sugar levels somehow and too much of this will lead to fat gain. Argue with me all you want, it’s going to happen.

And you may be able to ride with the notion that not eating clean, but getting your adequate calories is just as good, but for people who want to be healthy, then it’s stupid. Let’s not forget, the better your immune system, the more stable your cholesterol, the higher your testosterone, cortisol levels, blood and lipid levels, etc. the better place those elements are in, the easier it will be to build muscle and lose fat.

[quote]dratner wrote:
first of all, you don’t know what type of people those studies were taken on, if they already had fast metabolisms, gifted for hypertrophy, or if they consumed 60% of this sucrose during training time, etc. Ronnie Coleman could eat pizzas and fries all the time in his early career and still look better than ANY of us if we tried our hardest…he’s a genetic freak.

Now, spencercurlz might be a genetic freak, or he might be a normal guy whose trying to bust his ass like the rest of us. If that’s the case, then yes, eating brown sugar would not be the ideal source of carbohydrate for his body type, especially if he’s 15%. Nor would the yogurt that he is eating, whether it’s “natural” sugar or not, it is still undoubtedly going to raise his blood sugar levels somehow and too much of this will lead to fat gain. Argue with me all you want, it’s going to happen.

And you may be able to ride with the notion that not eating clean, but getting your adequate calories is just as good, but for people who want to be healthy, then it’s stupid. Let’s not forget, the better your immune system, the more stable your cholesterol, the higher your testosterone, cortisol levels, blood and lipid levels, etc. the better place those elements are in, the easier it will be to build muscle and lose fat. [/quote]

I don’t have the genetics of ronnie coleman, however I did hit a genetic lottery of sorts… my body is very good at handling carbs… before I was conscious of my eating habits my PWO meal was a medium meat lovers pizza and I could still manage that 4 times a week and maintain 17 to 18 % body-fat

I’m here for w/e help I can get but I gotta argue with this I’m gonna get fat mentality it all really depends on carb sensitivity, yes some will see a lot of fat gain, others little to none.

Also I do agree with you 100% eating clean is always the better option. however its not always an option I can’t afford to do it all the time so yes I do cut corners on things like yogurt and amp.
also look at guys like phelps he couldn’t survive on eating 100% clean… with AT LEAST a 7000 calorie maintenance level he had to cut corners.

[quote]JMoUCF87 wrote:
tw0scoops2 wrote:

Actually, the REAL quesrtion is, do you need to eat super clean to make optimal gains?

the answer is no.

there was a study that showed that replacing 60% of the carbohydrates in a diet with pure sucrose (i.e. table sugar) produced NO INCREASE in bodyfat when calories were held constant.

In other words, brown sugar isn’t any more fattening than an equal amount of calories from any other carb source.

Clean eating for the lose.[/quote]

Do you know anything about this dude’s genetics or whether he is an ecto-,meso-, etc? Is he carb tolerant?

Well I have no clue. The kid wants advice on his diet and I’m airing on the side of caution. If he is also eyeballing his bodyfat in the mirror and didn’t have a professional do it, he could be 20% BF for all we know, in which case saying it’s ok for him to eat sugar would be a mistake…

It seems to be the consensus that at lower BF levels, 10% and under, carb control seems to be less of an issue. But he is not at that level. Right?

[quote]JMoUCF87 wrote:
tw0scoops2 wrote:

the answer is no.

Clean eating for the lose.[/quote]

Do you know anything about this dude’s genetics or whether he is an ecto-,meso-, etc? Is he carb tolerant?

Well I have no clue. The kid wants advice on his diet and I’m airing on the side of caution. If he is also eyeballing his bodyfat in the mirror and didn’t have a professional do it, he could be 20% BF for all we know, in which case saying it’s ok for him to eat sugar would be a mistake…

It seems to be the consensus that at lower BF levels, 10% and under, carb control seems to be less of an issue. But he is not at that level. Right?

[quote]Spencerulz wrote:
dratner wrote:

And you may be able to ride with the notion that not eating clean, but getting your adequate calories is just as good, but for people who want to be healthy, then it’s stupid. Let’s not forget, the better your immune system, the more stable your cholesterol, the higher your testosterone, cortisol levels, blood and lipid levels, etc. the better place those elements are in, the easier it will be to build muscle and lose fat.

I don’t have the genetics of ronnie coleman, however I did hit a genetic lottery of sorts… my body is very good at handling carbs… before I was conscious of my eating habits my PWO meal was a medium meat lovers pizza and I could still manage that 4 times a week and maintain 17 to 18 % body-fat

I’m here for w/e help I can get but I gotta argue with this I’m gonna get fat mentality it all really depends on carb sensitivity, yes some will see a lot of fat gain, others little to none.

Also I do agree with you 100% eating clean is always the better option. however its not always an option I can’t afford to do it all the time so yes I do cut corners on things like yogurt and amp.
also look at guys like phelps he couldn’t survive on eating 100% clean… with AT LEAST a 7000 calorie maintenance level he had to cut corners.

[/quote]

He needs that amount of calories cuz he swims many hours a day and probably burns 4000 in his practice alone.

If your carb tolerant more power to ya then…and a little sugar is probably not gunna effect you. However, if you have trouble getting lean, the first thing I’d do is drop the sugar. Good luck to ya.

I hear ya spencercurlz…but I had to break it to you, 17 to 18% body fat is not anything to be proud of. sorry dude. If you could eat that and stay at 12 or 13% then I’d say right on. But I do know where youre coming from in terms of cutting corners and saving money, but listen, it’s not gonna cost you any more to get plain yogurt instead of sugar induced. You can always mix it in with Metabolic Drive and some fruit and it will be delicious. I do.

Dratner,

you seem to be under the impression that sugar = fat gain. this is not the case.

Excess calories = fat gain.

Excess calories can come from carbs (sugar), fat, or protein. Transient increases in blood sugar won’t make you gain fat unless you’re in a caloric surplus.

Believe what you want, but fat gain is caused by a chronic surplus of calories, over and above what the body can use. Thousands of studies, and millions (perhaps billions?) of individual experiences confirms this.

Furthermore, researchers do not recruit professional bodybuilders (or the genetically elite) to perform studies on. If they did, the studies would be essentially useless, and genetically superior people can often “get away” with more that us normal folk.

This is why researchers use large random samples of the population: so that the results are generalizable to the greatest number of people.

Finally, stop using the phrase “sugar induced” to describe foods with added sugar, it makes you sound stupid.

[quote]JMoUCF87 wrote:
Dratner,

you seem to be under the impression that sugar = fat gain. this is not the case.

Excess calories = fat gain.

[/quote]
these can actually both be true