T Nation

Diet on a Time Crunch? 4 Shakes?

Hey, so I would like to get your opinions on this diet idea. I’m 19 and getting into power lifting. I would be training 3 times a week just for some background. Well I’ll be starting summer school soon as well as a new job at the mall. Summer school is about an hour and the mall job is any where from 4-8 hours. (usually 8) with one 45min lunch break and one 15min break. This doesnt leave me to much time to spread meals out. I’m currently trying to eat around 5-6 meals a day, I’m not getting to anal, just counting calories, protein and try to eat good carbs and fats depending on what I can get. I don’t wanna eat one or two meals and shovel down the other 3-4 within 2 hours. I was on here and asked jim wendler what he recommend for college kids on a budget and he said to eat 4 times a day and before each meal have a protein shake that has 40-50g of protein in it and then eat a normal meal after that. He said this is what he did in college.

What do you guys think about this? Good idea for my situation? I’m down for it but im just worried about the effects of that much whey.
Is that okay? I mean i figure if the velocity diet works it should be fine to have that many shake plus solid foods. I’ll try to put olive oil in the shakes and replace them some times with 2 glasses of milk instead of a shake. I’d only be doing this for summer (3 months) where I’m working crazy hours. Days I’m off I’ll avoid shakes and eat solid foods.

This would be the diet I eat the majority of the week. Besides a few changes here and there.
(btw, I need to save $$$ so I’ll be using 20g of protein shake a meal instead of 40-50)

Protein shake
3 Eggs
Oatmeal
Glass of milk

Protein shake
Veggies
Can of tuna

Protein shake
2 peanutbutter sandwhiches on wheat bread
veggies

Protein shake
Chicken breast or beef
Veggies

and then I’ll be drinking milk throughout the day as well.

What do you guys think?

I’d like to know what effects you are worried about with too much whey???

If Jim Wendler said that, why are you asking anyone else? It obviously works.

Well I guess I’m asking more a long the lines of what I should eat with this? Or if you have meal suggestions other than what I listed. From what I have above is there anything else you would add. I’m not doubting it, I believe jim 100%. Just seeing if there is anything else I should know.

How many calories per day are you consuming? I ask because there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot in your nutrition plan.
What is your height & weight? What is your goal, lean up or put on size?

[quote]ACTrain wrote:
How many calories per day are you consuming? I ask because there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot in your nutrition plan.
What is your height & weight? What is your goal, lean up or put on size?[/quote]

Well diet has always been something I’ve messed up on since I’d make it way to complicated for myself. Right now I’m 200lbs, 5’11 at maybe 25-30%bf. I’m most concerned about gaining strength and loseing about 20lbs or so.
I’m gonna try and add food when I can with that is listed above. What I have there is just the staples I’ll be working around.

[quote]ACTrain wrote:
How many calories per day are you consuming? [/quote]
Well I tend to under eat. I’m probably around 2000 a day right now or less. I’m trying to eat around 2500 or more now.

You want to powerlift with only 2000 calories a day at 200lbs body weight? I’m getting the feeling that you’ll need more calories to put up heavy weight. I think its pretty tough to lose fat and gain strength at the same time, choose one and eat for it - you’re gonna find it tough to gain strength with a caloric deficit (I think, maybe the more experienced guys on here have better input?).

Also, eat the whole chicken! I personally prefer beef though…

[quote]The Goose. wrote:
You want to powerlift with only 2000 calories a day at 200lbs body weight? I’m getting the feeling that you’ll need more calories to put up heavy weight. I think its pretty tough to lose fat and gain strength at the same time, choose one and eat for it - you’re gonna find it tough to gain strength with a caloric deficit (I think, maybe the more experienced guys on here have better input?).

Also, eat the whole chicken! I personally prefer beef though…[/quote]
I’m shooting for more than that. My problem is I under eat. I’m gonna try to eat as much as I can but of good or at least decent choices. I’m hoping that cleaning up my diet will help drop a little fat while getting stronger. That plus pushing the prowler around.