T Nation

Diet is Holding Me Back...

I just started 5/3/1, but before I get into it, I want a solid diet. I was always a skinny kid, until I did Rippetoes Starting Strength for 6 months. I gained a lot of muscle and got a lot stronger, but I also gained a lot more fat than I should have (due to problems with my diet). I then switched to a 5 day split and my lifts continued to go up, but since my diet was bad I gained more fat. Since then, I have lost a lot of that fat, and I am doing 5/3/1 to gain lean mass.

I spent countless hours reading the nutrition section here, and learned a lot, yet I am still struggling in making a solid diet.  John Bereradis 7 simple diet rules has helped a lot.  I know for the most part what foods are healthy and what aren't but I still have a hard time making a solid diet that will help my gains but not contribute to fat loss.

Here are a few staples in my diet:
-canned tuna, canned salmon, peanut butter, chicken breasts, brocolli, almonds, ezekiel bread and ezekiel raisin bread, milk, water, and whey protein.

I usually start off the morning with a shake composed of milk, whey, peanut butter, flaxseed, and oats.

Can you guys make some suggestions for a solid diet with the above foods, and what foods I should add? I don't mind eating 5 meals a day, but I need to bring one of those meals to school, and eat it in class, so I need one good portable meal.

Sorry if this is a lot of info, but I read a lot of articles and its kind of overwhelming.

I am 6'1 190 so I am guessing I should eat about 3000 cals.

Thanks for the help!

btw another staple in my meal is oatmeal, but on some articles here it said that you should avoid oatmeal.

kind of confusing

[quote]DanJS14 wrote:
I just started 5/3/1, but before I get into it, I want a solid diet. I was always a skinny kid, until I did Rippetoes Starting Strength for 6 months. I gained a lot of muscle and got a lot stronger, but I also gained a lot more fat than I should have (due to problems with my diet). [/quote]
I think we should start by defining what your idea of ‘a lot more fat than I should have’ is.

Did you turn into a lardass or did you just lose sight of your abs?

close to lard ass

Judging by that photo, I would put your lean mass at about 150. I’d start you off at 2700 clean calories for bulking purposes, and adjust upward as needed. So that would be five meals of 540cals or seven meals of 385, whichever your schedule permits.

Get your ass to the gym five days a week and lift hard and heavy. I don’t care what program you’re on (5/3/1 is a good one) as long as it’s pre-written by someone who knows what they are doing.

As for the title of this thread, I would say that diet is not what’s holding you back. If you gained that much fat, you are probably eating enough but not pushing hard enough in the gym.