T Nation

Diet Help

Tampa-Terry,
I have noticed over the years that you are very knowledgeable and willing to help. I was wondering if you would take the time to recommend a diet for me. I’m a 42 year old male in reasonably good shape, but I’d like to drop about ten pounds. I’ve done a search and studied some of the diets, but there is no substitute for actual experience. Any help would be appreciated. Have a great holiday.

Hi, there T-Raven!

10 pounds isn’t a lot. Honestly, I think if you cut out a few of the things you know you shouldn’t be eating and increase activity a tad, you should strip that 10 pounds without too much deprivation.

Of course that wasn’t what you were wanting to hear, was it. (grin)

I have two articles I’m going to recommend to you and a few suggestions, recommendations.

Start by reading JB’s “7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutritional Programs” and “T-Dawg 2.0.”

My recommendations are that you focus on the basics in the two articles above.

As a general approach, I’d recommend that you make sure you’re meeting your protein requirements (1g x TBW), divided between 6 meals (or 3 meals and 3 “snacks”), each about 3 hours apart.

From there, I’d recommend that you get some green veggies (without the calorically heavy sauces and flavorings) or fruit every meal. Save starchy carbs (whole wheat pasta, sweet potatoes, yams, oatmeal, brown rice) for the whole-food P+C meal you have post workout. If you don’t work out, forget the starchy carbs.

And bread and sweets? Temporarily, cut 'em out.

Allow yourself a little more freedom on the weekend. Keep the same structure, but allow yourself a meal you enjoy or some dessert.

If you’re not active or don’t currently do cardio, find a way to add a little walking into your day. Borrow a neighbor’s kid or dog. You’ll burn a few calories, do your heart some good and earn all sorts of brownie points. (grin)

If the above doesn’t get you the results you want, drop me a note in a month or so, and we can get more precise, calculating protein, fat and carb requirements, along with your keeping a food log.

Let me know what you think and how you do. And if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask! (grin)

Thank you for the advice. I just printed hard copies of those two articles and I’m going to read them at lunch. I’ll let you know how it goes.

TT:

Question:

Have you revised your recommendations somewhat in using TOTAL bodyweight in your calculations as opposed to LEAN body weight…or is it just because Raven didn’t appear to be overly fat?

Thanks! You always have great advice!

Mufasa

Make sure you get yourself a cpoy of JB’s No-Nonsense Nutrition. It will clear everything up for you without a doubt. I had a good understanding and schooling for nutrition but JB’s approach really made things clear as clear can be, it really lived up to the name NO-NONSENSE.

get yourself a copy.

Hey, there, Mufasa!

In T-Raven’s case, I was trying to keep things as simple as possible so that he doesn’t have to go off and test BF or determine LBM.

If the simple approach doesn’t give him the results for which he’s looking, we can always get more precise down the road.

For a lot of people (though not all), dropping 10 pounds doesn’t involve too much more than making a few positive changes (cutting out the snacks after dinner, cutting out the Cokes and the high-calorie lattes at Starbucks, etc.). If that’s the case, there’s no reason to overly complicate things at this point.

Thanks, T!

Mufasa

Not to Hijack but TT, it is great to have you back and postin again. We all get to missing you when you get busy and what not. As always a top notch contributor to this forum and MUCH needed. :slight_smile:

Also wanted to add to this whole TBW or LBM thing. I used the LBM for quite a bit and have changed totally to using TBW just for ease and it is seeminglt just as accurate a STARTING point for any diet.

Just that with the measures of BF% and the errors that take place I find it just as accurate and much easier to use TBW off a scale. Both are just starting points and can /need to be swayed even more in the case of over fat, or extremely lean ppl.

Just my 2cc in my constant search to simplify things and ease the headaches.

Phill