T Nation

Diet Help to Drop 4-5% Bodyfat

hey i am about 5'10 178ish and 12 percent body fat and i want to cut 4-5 percent body fat..my current diet is cup veggies and a 4-6oz piece of meat usualy chicken breat at 3 meals with postworkout shake just protein and pre workout shake just protein and i throw in some healthyu fats such as almonds about 30 a day..can someone help please

The diet sounds ok to me, what’s the problem?

i just started it wanted to know how many cups of veggies i should eat and how much fat i should really be getting and i have been doing alot of HIIT cardio is that okay with this low carb diet?

technically you shouldnt do HIIT cardio more than 3 times a week. Try doing some steady state cardio on days your not doing HIIT. Fat is an important component of a diet and is necessary. Try rotating in some fish like salmon and red meat to get your fat and also from good sources like fish oil and extra virgin olive oil.
If your trying to lose body fat and keep muscle mass lift very heavy to give your body a reason to keep your muscle.
Good luck

At about 16 oz of chicken (just over 5oz/meal for 3 meals), 10 oz. of mixed veggies (something like 1+ cup a meal for 3 meals) and ~30 almonds, your macro breakdown looks like:

Cal: 1142
Protein: 158g
Fat: 38g
Carbs: 46g (of which 15g is fiber)

You can add in the particulars for the workout protein.

I think the general consensus is to go higher protein and fat – at least 1g protein per pound of body weight and probably at least 60g fat. It is also common to start at a higher caloric intake (even the V-diet would have you at a few hundred more calories) and reduce it if your progress stalls, but I do not know what you are switching to this from or anything, and Waterbury seems to recommend “one gram of protein per pound of body weight, fibrous vegetables, water, green tea, 12 grams of fish oil, and spread those out over the course of six meals each day” for getting leaner http://www.tmuscle.com/readArticle.do?id=2234321

thanks for the suggestions…i was thinking doing some more research and now going to try and reach around 180-200 grams protein about 60 grams fat and i 2 cups of veggies for 3 meals with a pre workout shake just protein and post workout just protein maybe for about 6 weeks and yes i will be lifting heavy and doing HIIT 3 times a week and steady state 2-3 and i will be doing cardio in the morning with a protein shake before cardio.

i also have a question about how long HIIT cardio should last and how many times a week should i train abs?

[quote]tlydi23 wrote:
i also have a question about how long HIIT cardio should last and how many times a week should i train abs?[/quote]

HIIT shouldnt last more than 20 minutes plus if your giving max effort you should be able to do much more than that.
How often you train abs is a personal preference. Experiment with frequency and you will figure it out.

[quote]tlydi23 wrote:
i also have a question about how long HIIT cardio should last and how many times a week should i train abs?[/quote]

start with 20 mins 6 days a week and increase it by 5 mins every week. abs are no different than chest or back etc so once or twice a week is enough.

thanks and as far as my diet goes how many calories do you think it too little or too much? i was thinking about eating brocoli and spinach for my carbs and chicken breast talapia and eggs for my protein \and almonds as far as fat goes

Why the fuck do you want 4-5 percent?

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:
Why the fuck do you want 4-5 percent?[/quote]

OP wants to lose 4-5% from his current 12%

READ