Diet Help for Critical Hypertension

long story short my father in law has 180/110 blood pressure. I finally got him to see a Dr. and he put him on 2 meds and told him to diet and exercise. that’s like giving a monkey a hammer and telling him to build a house. He has worked out off and on for years never seriously, he is 40 years old 5’10 and weighs 185. He has come to me for exercise and diet advice and need help. anyone have any experience with this? Please Help!

Hypertension is more like a risk factor for CHD & stroke, so anything that goes with prevention of CHD & stroke, would be a good idea.

There are many unknown genetic underlying reasons for hypertension but 180/110 is pretty high.

Although some people are more sensitive and some dont respond, cutting salt might work, definitely worth giving a try and then see if it effects the BP or not

Apart from that, the advice you’ve been hearing;

Cut out processed junk, fructose, grains, smoking, excess alcohol

Dial in vegetables, fruits, animal protein & smart fats, water, fish oil

Oh also stress (psychological) is also related with higher levels of blood pressure

This might help as well;

Hope it helps & fire away anything you wonder!

[quote]outlaws wrote:
Hypertension is more like a risk factor for CHD & stroke, so anything that goes with prevention of CHD & stroke, would be a good idea.

There are many unknown genetic underlying reasons for hypertension but 180/110 is pretty high.

Although some people are more sensitive and some dont respond, cutting salt might work, definitely worth giving a try and then see if it effects the BP or not

Apart from that, the advice you’ve been hearing;

Cut out processed junk, fructose, grains, smoking, excess alcohol

Dial in vegetables, fruits, animal protein & smart fats, water, fish oil

Oh also stress (psychological) is also related with higher levels of blood pressure

This might help as well;

Hope it helps & fire away anything you wonder!

[/quote]

Yeah I would say that he is stressed for sure. He runs a used car lot and is a real estate agent and is always on the go. He doesn’t eat a lot, but what he does eat is mostly processed junk. I am going to start him with simple whole foods, and make sure he is lifting properly and him and his wife are going to start taking evening strolls through the neighborhood. I think it is a combo of stress and a bad diet.

Magnesium glycinate