T Nation

Diet Help - Food At School

can anybody help me with a good, high calorie lunch with a a sufficient amount of protein? I’m only in high school and theres a limited amount of things i could bring to school…does anybody have any ideas?

i usually bring a chicken sandwich, protein bar, nature valley bar, orange, and a few other things

its kind of pathetic but does anybody have any ideas?

Here’s what you do-

Bag of walnuts.
Tub or bag of protein powder.
Shaker bottle.

Put in locker.

Eat-drink fast inbetween class.

i use to bring beef jerky or tuna to high school. and once in awhile i bought power butter, but i couldn’t always afford it. you can also put a protein powder in a water bottle and fill it up with water from a fountain or milk from your school cafeteria. i use to eat with a lot of ladies and they usually didn’t drink much of their milk or finish their proteins. So they’re always good source of food.

Yeah dude I like both ideas. If you don’t want to look weird at school drinking protein out of a shaker, shake it up before school and keep it in a colored Nalgene bottle and no one will see the protein, everyone will just think its water. Definitely stock up on the nuts and trail mix though, those pack some serious calories. Jerky’s not a bad idea either, just watch out for the sodium.

i know i was the food nazi amongst my friends and they ALWAYS (and still do) gave me shit about eating so healthy, but i just shrugged it off and it didn’t deter me, so don’t let “looking weird” stop you from reaching your goals. if someone asks, tell them what you’re trying to do or just to fuck off, and tell them that they are fat or something.

also, if your teachers won’t let you eat, politely ask to eat it real quick before class, sometimes that works

good luck man, go for it

thanks a lot for all your help

i have another question though…what’s a good snack, such as a replacement for maybe potato chips that i would benefit from?

[quote]joeymotts wrote:
i know i was the food nazi amongst my friends and they ALWAYS (and still do) gave me shit about eating so healthy, but i just shrugged it off and it didn’t deter me, so don’t let “looking weird” stop you from reaching your goals. if someone asks, tell them what you’re trying to do or just to fuck off, and tell them that they are fat or something.

also, if your teachers won’t let you eat, politely ask to eat it real quick before class, sometimes that works

good luck man, go for it[/quote]

There was this magic place in high school where you could always eat.

“Excuse me, Mrs. Chokesondick? May I go to the shitter” “No.” “Let me rephrase, im about to shit my self…”

Go to the can and eat a bag of tuna fish real fast, eat your protein powder and what ever else you can fit in your pocket.

As suggested, nuts, beef jerky, and water bottles with protein powder in it work very well.

[quote]SEV1800 wrote:
thanks a lot for all your help

i have another question though…what’s a good snack, such as a replacement for maybe potato chips that i would benefit from?[/quote]

Replace them with anything not made from a white potato and fat would be good.

Nuts, berries, and/or protein bar.

Any of those would be a good snack. If you can’t afford protein bars, well a bag of smoked almonds doesn’t cost much.

A half of a sandwich with a piece of chicken breast and one piece of whole wheat bread might look weird, but you’d be able to wolf it down pretty quickly. There are some good ways to cook chicken breasts to make them taste a lot better than plain old bland meat too.

Other than that, like others have said, I like any kind of jerky, but that usually takes a while to eat. The Jack Link’s Nuggets are a little softer and quicker to eat.

For carbs, you can’t go wrong with fruit. Bananas are easy, and so are apples and oranges. You can put a handful grapes in a baggie.

I wish I “looked weird” and ate right in high school instead of sticking to a pb&j sandwich and milk for the whole day at school.

Wendys

Ultimate grill chicken sandwich
33G protein 370 cals

2-3 or these babys should make a good lunch

pre cook and ziplock bags is your friend, haul the meats various kinds Nuts fruit, raw veggies etc. it pretty easy if you just make it habit.

Phill

All this is good advice, so the only thing I’ll add is I just started back to classes and it wasn’t a problem fo rme at all. Of course I only had to go from 5:30 to 8:30, but that’s two meals I engineered.

I mixed some unsalted and roasted cashews with some unsalted peanuts, put em’ in a bag and mixed up my protein shakes in nalgenes to put in my backpack. Between classes I scarfed it down. I woulda had time for an apple too if I had wanted.

I can’t imagine someone making fun of you for drinking protein shakes and eating healthy though. When I was younger it wasn’t cool to be fat…guess things have changed.lol

come on? eat healthy? today? not when wendy’s and mc donald’s run the world.

my friends put me on blast for ordering a freakin pepper and broccoli omlette when we went to the diner one night during christmas break…wtf? it’s all good though, i’ve learned to live with them, i get to poke fun at them also

[quote]Deserteaglle wrote:

I can’t imagine someone making fun of you for drinking protein shakes and eating healthy though. When I was younger it wasn’t cool to be fat…guess things have changed.lol[/quote]

People envy others who have what they don’t (in this case muscle or strength) and make fun of that which they don’t understand. Since much of the population doesn’t understand the importance of consistent, proper nutrition for muscle/strength gains, especially in a high school setting, I recommended he may want to drink out of a Nalgene. I’m not trying to say be afraid of what other think. Shit, when I was in high school I drank protein straight out of a clear bottle. I got some weird looks, a lot of annoying questions about it, and yes some shitheads made fun of me. But it helped my gains tremendously. By all means it helped my goals, I’m just recommending the colored Nalgene as a simple way to avoid these small, yet annoying, inconveniences.

[quote]hardwork wrote:
Deserteaglle wrote:

I can’t imagine someone making fun of you for drinking protein shakes and eating healthy though. When I was younger it wasn’t cool to be fat…guess things have changed.lol

People envy others who have what they don’t (in this case muscle or strength) and make fun of that which they don’t understand. Since much of the population doesn’t understand the importance of consistent, proper nutrition for muscle/strength gains, especially in a high school setting, I recommended he may want to drink out of a Nalgene. I’m not trying to say be afraid of what other think. Shit, when I was in high school I drank protein straight out of a clear bottle. I got some weird looks, a lot of annoying questions about it, and yes some shitheads made fun of me. But it helped my gains tremendously. By all means it helped my goals, I’m just recommending the colored Nalgene as a simple way to avoid these small, yet annoying, inconveniences.[/quote]

Maybe I’m thinking about this differently. I WAS a fat kid and I didn’t make fun of kids that ate healthy. But in school some kids are going to make fun of whoever they can no matter what.It’s just better to grow thick skin.

i get that all the time when im eating protein bars…people saying annoying little things. and i have come to the same generalization towards people who say those kind of things. it’s usualy those spaghetti armed or paper thin kids. it doesn’t bother me anymore

thanks for the suggestions though