Diet Guide

I’m looking to slowly add lean mass at the moment. I don’t have a fixed meal plan but my diet looks something like the following. I’d be grateful for suggestions for any improvements

non workout day

cals/protein/carbs/fat

meal 1 9.00am
porridge + whey
spinach, sprouts, carrots, apple
530/44/66/10

meal 2 11.30am
porridge
tuna, quinoa + spinach salad
572/50/75/8

meal 3 + 4 1.30pm and 3.30pm (cooked together)

lentils, onion, tomatoes, peas, peppers, apple, chicken
1005/101/130/9

meal 5 6.30pm
salmon, spinach, broccoli, flax oil, almonds
490/50/5/30

meal 6 8.30pm
sardines, eggs, linseeds, spinach
444/45/3/28

meal 7 11.00pm
chicken, flax oil, brazil nuts, cauliflower, broccoli salad
485/55/10/25

meal 8 1.00am
same as 5

total 4020/395/294/140

workout day

meal 1 9.00am
chicken, spinach, brocco;i, almonds, hazelnuts, flax oil
594/60/12/34

meal 2 12.00pm
salmon, spinach, linseeds
482/49/4/30

workout at 2.00pm PWO during and after
dextrose and whey
846/66/132/6

meal 5 5.00pm
banana, sweet potato, chicken salad + veggies
662/52/100/6

meal 6 7.00pm
apple, porridge, tuna, peppers, tomatoes, carrots
560/47/75/8

meal 7 and 8 10.00pm and 1.00am
spinach, sprouts, chicken, sardines, almonds, flax oil
893/98/15/49

4037/372/338/133

supplements: creatine and vit C PWO

What exactly is porrage? I truly don’t know. Is it just oatmeal or cream of wheat?

Of course it is lol! Proper Scottish rolled oats. Try calling it oatmeal to a scotsman and you might well get a “Braveheart” style reaction.

Adam, what’s your weight and BF%? Have you ever determined what maintenance calories are for you?

The diet looks good. You’re packing in some calories, and it’s definitely quality food choices! Good food combining, too.

If that’s an example of what you’re eating currently, what sort of results have you been getting for your efforts?

I was 10% BF 6 weeks ago. I think that my results are ok. Up 6lbs in 6 weeks but I have lost my abs now unless I’m tensing them in good light on an empty stomach in the morning lol. This just doesn’t seem great compared to some other posts on the forum but I don’t know how much of a difference extra supplements make.

The post about “how much protein is too much” worried me because my diet seems really high in protein and there was some interesting stuff on that thread about negative aspects of this.

I know that everybody is different but do you think that I am getting enough carbs to gain?

BTW, TommyT and Adam:
it’s the same guy…
it just depends which computer I’m on

Tommy, Adam, what ever.

1 lb a week is great, and sure you are getting enough carbs to gain, you are gaining. I would say it looks good, and your rate of progress is good. Any faster and you probably wouldnt like the amount of fat you packed on.

Stay at this K/cal level until you stall out for a couple weeks. Continue to train hard. You will actually start to lean a bit when you stall. Then it is time to raise those K/cals again another 200-300 and move to the next plateau.

Good work, keep it up.

Phill

I’ve been picked to represent my district’s golf team next week and have been putting in some serious hours on the course to get my game in shape. I can play 36 holes in a day some times and carry my own clubs (lots of weighted walking)!!

Do i need to increase my 300g daily carb intake to compensate for all this extra activity?

How much do you think that I should increade my calorie intake to compensate (roughly 8000yrds weighted walking per 18 holes)??

cheers all

I’ve been picked to represent my district’s golf team next week and have been putting in some serious hours on the course to get my game in shape. I can play 36 holes in a day some times and carry my own clubs (lots of weighted walking)!!

Do i need to increase my 300g daily carb intake to compensate for all this extra activity?

How much do you think that I should increade my calorie intake to compensate (roughly 8000yrds weighted walking per 18 holes)??

cheers all

Adam,
That is one of the healthiest, most well-rounded menus I’ve seen posted here. Great choices, good variety, excellent sources of protein, fatty-acids, and carbs, and hordes of micronutrients from the variety of veggies and nuts. Keep it up, and let us know your results!

thanks Newlife, JB is a legend… but everybody knows that by now lol!
Any ideas on the golf thing though?

Yesterday I filled my golf bag with lentils and chicken and took in an extra 75g of carbs and 500cals

seems like too much flax to me. linseeds are flax seeds right? you’re having flax oil and flax seeds, that’s a LOT of flax, or so it appears in your post, you don’t say amounts. i would go to a web site and check to see how much you’re actually getting as far as your fatty acid profile and see if it’s balanced. according to guru’s here, it should be equal amounts of sat. fat, mono and poly. i don’t believe those ratios, but i won’t get into that. just at least go to fitday.com and check your meals for a few days. you might need to sub olive oil for some of the flax, or even butter. butter is one of the healthiest sat fats you can eat, i think. get organic. it’s good in your ‘porridge’ too :slight_smile:

use www.fitday.com and it will give you an idea of how many calories you burned by doing different activities. you can then gauge how much more to eat. if you’re trying to maintain, don’t overdo the carbs and calories. if you want to gain, eat more. if you’re trying to lose, just look at the walking as a nice extra calorie spender.

WOW seminole chick that site is awesome thanks a lot!! Apparently I could burn 1300 calories playing the golf that I do. I had no idea that is was so much! That puts me up to about 5300 calories.

I’m going to experiment with 500g carbs and i workout in the am so i can eat them all way before bedtime.

What sort of carbs though? It’s hardly vigorous activity so it doesn’t justify a Surge type beverage lol! sweet potatoes or veggies, fruit and lentils?

I never thought that anybody would recommend butter but you are right. I’ve done the maths and my poly is about 45% and sats is only 15%. I’m not one to argue with JB (the guru in question I think.

Any other sources of sats? I can’t stand fatty meat and I’m experimenting without dairy

There are amounts of sats in almost all fatty foods. One great source I like though to get a big healthy dose of sats from is coconut. The oil, milk, or shredded (unsweet).

The milk is great mixed with Grow! in a shake.

Hope this helps.
Phill

I now need to eat 5200 calories daily to compensate for golf. How much fat can I eat in one meal or in a day?

JB says to eat carbs and protein in a nearly 1:1 ratio on non-workout days but this leads to a massive amount >450g of protein. Would I be alright on a 2:1 ratio without getting fat?

[quote]TommyT wrote:
WOW seminole chick that site is awesome thanks a lot!!

I saw that site before…sad thing is they dont have weight lifting listed as an activity…are you kidding me?? Also no protein shakes or supplements listed for foods…it would be nice to find a page or software that had everything you wanted…Im still in search of one.

yeah seminole chick that does thanks.

As far as that website goes, it is not designed for a serious bodybuilder or athlete. It is fantastic for the average person who doesn’t have the knowledge about diet and exercise that we might have. I’m sure that this website would clarify and explain many things for the average person and make it easier for them to live a healthy lifestyle.

I really think that you should know how many calories that you are burning in a weights session (if you look carefully you will also see that free weight training is actually included in this website and gives a similar calorie total to JB’s calorie calculation in the original massive eating article).

This website is still useful to us. It includes hundreds of daily activities helping you to workout a rough calorie requirement that in my opinion is better than the massive eating calculation of multiplying RMR by an activity factor of 1.0 - 2.0 with very vague descriptions of each.

The list of food’s is very useful and so far I’ve found that the macro numbers do add up to the calorie totals unlike al of the listings on www.nutritiondata.com. You can also add your own foods (protein powder if you like), which in my opoinion is still a bodybuilding supplement, which I wouldn’t expect to find on many of these types of websites.

So no, I wasn’t kidding and once again, thanks very much for the refernece seminole chick.

cheers