T Nation

Diet Formulation Help

I am a newbie to T-Nation. I have read most of the newbie articles including the TDawg diet, Nutrition for Newbies (all parts) and several other nutrition articles. I have been eating 1200 calories for what seems like forever. I began a training program about 3 months ago. I have seen some changes in my body, but haven’t lost any fat. From reading these articles I think I have been depriving my body of calories and thus my body has been hanging on to the fat.

I currently weigh 147 and I am 5’1 (on a good day, usually 5’.5). My goal is to be around 125-130, which according to my height is an ideal weight. I want to be lean and muscular (but I am female and don’t want to look like a professional body builder).

After reading the articles it seems that I should be eating about 2191 calories to maintain my weight. So, since I am trying to lose fat I have set my target at 1691 (500 less). I have set my carbs at 70 on non training days and 100 on training days. I have my fat at 80g per day and Protein at 220g per day. Other than that, I am planning on following TDawg for what I should be eating. I am seeking critques, advice and any other suggestions.

Because you’ve been so low for so long, take a few weeks and eat at maintenance. Then drop down to 500 below.

If you want us to critique, you’ll need to post a sample daily menu so we can see what foods you’re actually eating. Obviously you read the t-dawg article and set it up accordingly. You numbers look good, but the real test is what you’re eating.

What’s your training look like?

Pre TDawg My menu was:
1st meal:
FiberOne Cereal
Fat Free Milk
2nd meal:
Premier Nutrition Protein Shake
3rd meal
1/2 Turkey sandwich w/ cheese and mustard
4th meal
fresh fruit or vege
5th meal
chick breast + vege

NOW I am trying to get all of the calories in, but it has been tough. I am not use to eating that much food. Adding in the veges fills me up quite a bit. For example, yesterday I was only able to eat about 1450 calories.

Here is what I ate yesterday:
1st: Egg white omelet w/ Parm cheese, 4 slices turkey bacon, 1 cup mixed berries
2nd: Premier Nutrition Protein Shake
3rd meal: 1 cup mixed frozen veges
4th meal: grilled salmon salad (with caesar dressing)
5th meal: 2 cheese sticks

I am struggling with the best way to reach my nutrient goals (so much protein! I haven’t been on a “diet” like this before).

Training: I train with a trainer (who is fantastic, he is the one who turned me on to this site) 3 days a week for about 1 hour of what I would call circuit training. I don’t know if that is the correct categorization.

We do three segments. 1st segment is 12 reps of about 5 different exercises (repeated 3 times), 2nd segment is 15 reps of about 5 different exercises (repeated 3 times) followed by triceps, pikes and biceps. Then we do 10 minutes on a stationary bike, one minute at 5 then 30 seconds at 9. We repeat every 1 minute increasing until we reach 12.

On days I do not train, I do either 1) spinning or 2) step aerobics. The other two days I either walk or run on the tradmill.

I try to take one day a week off. I always make my training appts, but sometimes I am not always albe to get in my cardio days

[quote]smpalmer wrote:

Here is what I ate yesterday:
1st: Egg white omelet w/ Parm cheese, 4 slices turkey bacon, 1 cup mixed berries
2nd: Premier Nutrition Protein Shake
3rd meal: 1 cup mixed frozen veges
4th meal: grilled salmon salad (with caesar dressing)
5th meal: 2 cheese sticks
[/quote]

This doesn’t look awful.

A few things:

-Your first meal looks awesome.

-You need to eat protein WITH EVERY MEAL. a cup of veggies is not a meal, it’s nothing.

-take a look at protein shake, make sure it doesn’t have crap you don’t need in it. it should just have protein and a big of fat (1 or 2g) and bit of carbs (less than 5g, probably). Add olive oil to the shake if you want some healthy fats in there.

-Dressing on salads=no good. Especially creamy white ones loaded with useless calories and not so great fats. Oil and vinegar should be your salad buddies.

-eat a few whole eggs, you won’t die. And Saturated fat is the not the evil monster it’s made out to be.

-no beef?!

-Cottage cheese as a meal an hour or so before bedtime would be a good addition.

-two cheese sticks is probably not enough of a meal.

-shoot for 6 meals/day.

Check this out:

read and apply, the 7 habits work with in the context of any nutrition program. I wouldn’t get too anal about the fats as JB suggests in there. focus on getting protein at each meal, eating 6 times a day, and getting carbs at the right times.

Good luck.

As far as training, as long as you’re squatting and deadlifting, do what your trainer says. Especially if it’s working.

Thank so much for the reply! I appreciate the help.

Keep increasing the protein until you hit AT LEAST 1 g/lb bodyweight. Try to exceed that 1 g number every day, as much as you can.

Use a quality protein powder to help hit those protein targets, especially at first. But make it a goal to eat at least 3 meals a day with meat, fish, or eggs.

I think that fish is a great protein for fat loss. It is also easier to eat and digest than other sources.

Protein is magic.