T Nation

Diet for Losing Fat While Gaining Strength?

has anyone here lost fat while they gained strength. I realize this would be a slow process, but im wondering if it is at all possible. And if u did, what was ur diet like? any feedback is appreciated

I’ve gained strength at a decent and sometimes quick rate on a keto diet. Its all a mental game+ proper recovery/intensity. If you think you are gonna get real weak on a diet, you will. If you determine that you aren’t, you probably won’t.

When I decided 2 months ago that I needed to get back into a healthy body-fat range (8-12%) that this time around, I’d do it differently than I had in the past.

The first time I reached under 10% bodyfat, I just did it eating wheel-barrows of natural, clean food and basically running close to 30 miles a week along with the basic 8x4 weightlifting scheme in the gym.
It went smoothly, but this was very rough on me for the first month and a half. Improved Strength, close to 6-8% bodyfat lost.

This time, I took a different approach. I decided to throw in 4 Bike Intervals (or, Bike Sprints so to speak) sessions a week for 45 minutes along with a weightlifting scheme I made from some inspiration by Doug Hepburn. I basically decided to start lifting on a scheme of 2x12, with up to 4 Compound movements a session, 3-4 times a week.

I believe the second time around this was a lot more painless. Sure, tons of muscle soreness but I’ve never felt better or more confident, and the bike intervals are/was really just shredding the bodyfat completely.

Yep… I’ve lost around 11 pounds in the past 8-9 weeks, but all my lifts have gone up. Keep in mind, though, that I’m a beginner-intermediate level trainee, so I don’t know how this would work for someone who’s advanced.

I’m not on a keto diet though; I cycle, and eat carbs before/after workouts, and for breakfast.

Doing it right now. Low low carbs (less than 20g a day, but I don’t count veggies so whatever) with one huge refeed meal a week as the last meal of Sunday and training is the Texas Method. The cycling of volume and intensity throughout the week is fantastic with low calories and carbs (for the purposes of gaining strength while losing weight).

[quote]Cthonic wrote:
Doing it right now. Low low carbs (less than 20g a day, but I don’t count veggies so whatever) with one huge refeed meal a week as the last meal of Sunday and training is the Texas Method. The cycling of volume and intensity throughout the week is fantastic with low calories and carbs (for the purposes of gaining strength while losing weight).[/quote]

Sounds a lot like the anabolic diet, which I hope to try one day :slight_smile:

its all mental perception don’t let ur mind play games with u

Since flipping my routines around every few weeks, (usualy, 3 weeks heavy lifting/2 weeks EDT), once I finished my second phase of that, I was able to drop my BF% AND increase my bench for the first time up to 40 lbs more… all within two months total.

I know this prob isnt a big deal to some in this site, but for me it was crazy!! I know it wont do this EVERY time I cycle my routines this way, but its deffo got me up and going, and more excited about training right now!!

My diet for the past 3 months has also been a huge factor. I’ve been following a Keto-style diet and after just under 3 weeks, my body shifted and started using the fats insted of the carbs now. It was grueling the first 2 weeks with all the “carb withdraw”, but now its deffo worth it.

My diet now is still about 90% totally clean, and I usually have a “cheat” meal on Saturday evenings. But the rest of the whole week consists of Eggs, chicken, LEAN beef/buffalo, tuna, fish oils, EVOO, Drycurd Cottage cheese, ALOT of greenbeans/celery, and TONS of water (about a gallon and a half a day).

I’ll let you know in here in about a month from now, if it still keeps going up with my lifts and/or endurance…