T Nation

Diet Critiques!

Alright enough, that’s what I think everyday but is it? I’m not a noob, but I constructed my own diet and I’m starting to see little to no progression, can anyone help or give me their 2 cents on my diet.

Morning - Breakfast-
6 whole eggs scrambled with 2 cut up slices of lean turkey meat, and one cup of oatmeal plain. Supps - Multi-vitamin/Multi-mineral, fish oil caps, flaxseed oil, tribulus terrestris, diuretic.

2-3 Hours later -
Two cups fat-free cottage cheese, 1/4 cup almonds, one serving or rice cakes. Supps - Thermogenic fat burner

Pre-Workout -
8-12 ounces of steak or chicken, whole grain brown rice. Supps - Couple servings of Xtreme Formulations Ice BCAA + Glutamine cocktail

Post-Workout -
One serving of Optimum Nutrition After Max.

Dinner -
10-14 ounces of steak, fish, or chicken, two servings of two different kinds of veggies. Supps - Fish oil caps, tribulus terrestris, Multi-vitamin/Multi-Mineral.

2-3 hours later directly before bed -
2-3 cans of tuna, water drained. Supps - ZMA.

Like I said any critiques or even criticism will help. I’ve been a competitive powerlifter for about 5 years and never really had to worry about how I looked, just my lift poundages. I am converting to bodybuilding because I crushed my foot 6 months ago and can’t squat and deadlift anymore, but I’ll still compete in bench only. I’m 5’8’’-5’9’’, weighing in at now 235 down from 260, with last checked body fat % of 17-20. Help if you can because I’ve never done any type of bodybuilding or bodybuilder training so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Goals??

why he hell are you taking a damn diuretic you need to be hydrated for health, and well progress water = good.

Meals look OK need goals to know what you are trying to acheive.

Add fat to your plain Tuna at night

Thats about it with what you gave,

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
Goals??

why he hell are you taking a damn diuretic you need to be hydrated for health, and well progress water = good.

Meals look OK need goals to know what you are trying to acheive.

Add fat to your plain Tuna at night

Thats about it with what you gave,

Phill[/quote]

My goal is to basically convert from a powerlifter to a bodybuilder and compete within the next 3-6 months. My whole plan and my goals are to lose a cconsiderable amount of body fat so that within a number of months I can try and step on stage at the best shape I’ve ever been in. Also as far as a diuretic I was using test and it made me retain a lot of water. On top of that I added creatine and retained even more water so I felt it was necessary.

[quote]IndigoRacer wrote:
My goal is to basically convert from a powerlifter to a bodybuilder and compete within the next 3-6 months. My whole plan and my goals are to lose a cconsiderable amount of body fat so that within a number of months I can try and step on stage at the best shape I’ve ever been in. Also as far as a diuretic I was using test and it made me retain a lot of water. On top of that I added creatine and retained even more water so I felt it was necessary.
[/quote]

I’m thinkin that’s a really short time frame even if your already big. I don’t see how anybody could tune up proportions and symmetry while cutting, all for a FIRST physique contest. Although 6 months would obviously be easier than 3, but still.

Also I couldn’t eat steak pre workout, or probably even chicken. Not saying you can’t, but that would have me full and lazy.

[quote]IndigoRacer wrote:Also as far as a diuretic I was using test and it made me retain a lot of water. On top of that I added creatine and retained even more water so I felt it was necessary.
[/quote]

Nah bro your doping your self an inservice being dehydrated is the last thing you need drop the diuretic get Nolvadex, Adex, clomid recover right, get your T level back and estrogen in check PROPER.

The diruetic will just leave you in an unhealthy state of hydration and false leanness.

Aside from that the creatine sure it had you storing water intramuscular it would make you appear more rippied in general not less if your soft its well FAT not the cretaine and also yes water retention from the anabolics and whacy hormone state.

Creatine is great while cutting it will keep ATP stores a bit higher when in a hypocaloric state making getting that one more rep or bit of intensity better.

In short nail a solid diet that has you losing. You may have to go a bit drastic if you dont have much time you need to figure the time you have out and go for it. That will tell you just how far out you need to go.

Best of luck,
Phill

Oh and still the meals dont look bad at all are you losing weight how much?? It will be hard to tell if youve been pissing out a bunch of water only from a diuretic and will also make muscles flat but get that worked out and keep trucking,

Phill

Phill pretty much covered all aspects.

Although, you might do a little better switching the cans of tuna right before bed with the cottage cheese. The cottage cheese provides lots of casein protein which is slow digesting, which will keep your body out of a catabolic state longer while you sleep.

You could probably also add some fats pre-bedtime, also. So, instead of taking your fish oils in the morning, take them right before bed, too.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Oh and still the meals dont look bad at all are you losing weight how much?? It will be hard to tell if youve been pissing out a bunch of water only from a diuretic and will also make muscles flat but get that worked out and keep trucking,

Phill[/quote]

I have lost a total of 30 pounds within the last 2 months. Diuretics aside I have leaned down considerably along with my gut trimming down, starting to see the top two abs and my serratus muscles. Also my muscle bellies feel a lot fuller than when I was just big. A good note is that even with decreased calorie’s and decreased performance in the gym due to carb and calorie cutting I have been not only feeling my clothes out better they are actually getting tighter. I appreciate your criticism and advice.

Well seems to be working, keep it up.

Phill

I just got John Berardi’s Precision Nutrition System for Christmas. Now the fun will begin. I’ve heard so many good things about this system so hopefully it works. Has anyone else used this or know of people who have used it?