T Nation

Diet Critique

hey so im interested in putting on 10-15 lbs by summer…can you all tell me how good my weight gain diet is?

4 peanut butter and tuna sandwiches
3 designer whey protein shakes
1 protein bar
1 hot pocket

this gets me about 180 grams of protein, and is 500 calories above what i normally eat. its about 35% protein, 45% carbs and 30% fat.

any critique/advice greatly appreciated.

That’s not enough. Where’s the meat, other than the tuna? Where’s the fruits and vegetables?

Throw out the hot pocket and get some lean ground beef/chicken, oatmeal, whole wheat pasta, a TON of veggies (corn doesn’t count), cottage cheese/yogurt, and some olive oil.

[quote]getabsfast83 wrote:
4 peanut butter and tuna sandwiches
3 designer whey protein shakes
1 protein bar
1 hot pocket.[/quote]

that’s not a complete diet whatsoever. go eat more food, a VARIETY of food, and then use your bars & shakes to SUPPLEMENT, not as a basis to work out from. do your reading.

no fruits, no vegetables, tuna only as a meat, bread & hot pockets as carbs, fats in peanut butter and hot pockets.

there are articles everywhere, on this site and on the web.

you may get to summer with that diet, but unless you’ve got beginner gains to fall back on, don’t expect to reach your goals.

[quote]getabsfast83 wrote:
this gets me about 180 grams of protein, and is 500 calories above what i normally eat. its about 35% protein, 45% carbs and 30% fat.[/quote]

Did you use to only eat 1000 cals/day before? Because by my estimates that’s only about 1500 calories. My dog eats more than that a day.

I refuse to give you any advice whatsoever based solely on your name. It’s a matter of principle.

OK best bulking diet ever and If I was semi lean I would be doing it

break fast
6 eggs
peanut butter bagel sandwich
3 cups milk

lunch
12 oz steak
peanut butter bagel sandwich
3 cups milk
[insert healthy shit here]

2nd lunch
12 oz chicken
peanut butter bagel sandwich
3 cups milk
fruit salad

Pre dinner
3scoops whey
2 cups milk
peanutbutter
olive oil
frozen banana

dinner
12 oz chicken salad
dressing

before bed snack
6oz sliced turkey
2 pieces whole wheat bread
mayo


I mean who dosent like steak chicken peanut butter bagels and milk

[quote]n3wb wrote:
OK best bulking diet ever and If I was semi lean I would be doing it

break fast
6 eggs
peanut butter bagel sandwich
3 cups milk

lunch
12 oz steak
peanut butter bagel sandwich
3 cups milk
[insert healthy shit here]

2nd lunch
12 oz chicken
peanut butter bagel sandwich
3 cups milk
fruit salad

Pre dinner
3scoops whey
2 cups milk
peanutbutter
olive oil
frozen banana

dinner
12 oz chicken salad
dressing

before bed snack
6oz sliced turkey
2 pieces whole wheat bread
mayo


I mean who dosent like steak chicken peanut butter bagels and milk

[/quote]

This is not a good diet either man. Try something like this and add or tweak to your weight gaining needs.

Meal 1
4 egg whites/ 2 whole egg
1 cup of yogurt or 1 glass of skim Milk
1 cup (dry) oatmeal or 3 slices whole grain bread (not whole wheat)
Peice of fruit

MEal 2
Protein shake 1 1/2 servings
1/2 cup walnuts or almonds

Meal 3
8 ounces chicken
2 cups (cooked) brown rice
salad or 1 cup someother veggie
1 peice of fruit

Post workout
2-3 servings Gatorade powder mixed with 5 grams of creatine.

Shortly after

2 servings whey shake with water

Meal 5
8 ounces lean steak
2 baked sweet potatos
1 large salad with olive oil

Meal 6
1 serving whey shake
1/2-1 cup cottage cheese
1 serving olive oil or flaxseed oil.

[quote]chriscarani wrote:
n3wb wrote:
OK best bulking diet ever and If I was semi lean I would be doing it

break fast
6 eggs
peanut butter bagel sandwich
3 cups milk

lunch
12 oz steak
peanut butter bagel sandwich
3 cups milk
[insert healthy shit here]

2nd lunch
12 oz chicken
peanut butter bagel sandwich
3 cups milk
fruit salad

Pre dinner
3scoops whey
2 cups milk
peanutbutter
olive oil
frozen banana

dinner
12 oz chicken salad
dressing

before bed snack
6oz sliced turkey
2 pieces whole wheat bread
mayo


I mean who dosent like steak chicken peanut butter bagels and milk

This is not a good diet either man. Try something like this and add or tweak to your weight gaining needs.

Meal 1
4 egg whites/ 2 whole egg
1 cup of yogurt or 1 glass of skim Milk
1 cup (dry) oatmeal or 3 slices whole grain bread (not whole wheat)
Peice of fruit

MEal 2
Protein shake 1 1/2 servings
1/2 cup walnuts or almonds

Meal 3
8 ounces chicken
2 cups (cooked) brown rice
salad or 1 cup someother veggie
1 peice of fruit

Post workout
2-3 servings Gatorade powder mixed with 5 grams of creatine.

Shortly after

2 servings whey shake with water

Meal 5
8 ounces lean steak
2 baked sweet potatos
1 large salad with olive oil

Meal 6
1 serving whey shake
1/2-1 cup cottage cheese
1 serving olive oil or flaxseed oil.

[/quote]

mine tastes better

neither of those are ‘good’ diets (they are suck which means they are better than shit…), the second makes improvements on the first, but not a lot.

there is still a lack of fruits and veggies and no fat balance indicated for the meals (where is the fish oil and the flax? these are ‘food’ items along with Metabolic Drive - or a reasonable facsimile)

here is a thread for bulkers (CT’s bulking diet):

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1349235

read it and compare his diet to these (don’t worry about the supps for now, just look at the diet). also if you have questions, he may just answer them.

[quote]n3wb wrote:
chriscarani wrote:
n3wb wrote:
OK best bulking diet ever and If I was semi lean I would be doing it

break fast
6 eggs
peanut butter bagel sandwich
3 cups milk

lunch
12 oz steak
peanut butter bagel sandwich
3 cups milk
[insert healthy shit here]

2nd lunch
12 oz chicken
peanut butter bagel sandwich
3 cups milk
fruit salad

Pre dinner
3scoops whey
2 cups milk
peanutbutter
olive oil
frozen banana

dinner
12 oz chicken salad
dressing

before bed snack
6oz sliced turkey
2 pieces whole wheat bread
mayo


I mean who dosent like steak chicken peanut butter bagels and milk

This is not a good diet either man. Try something like this and add or tweak to your weight gaining needs.

Meal 1
4 egg whites/ 2 whole egg
1 cup of yogurt or 1 glass of skim Milk
1 cup (dry) oatmeal or 3 slices whole grain bread (not whole wheat)
Peice of fruit

MEal 2
Protein shake 1 1/2 servings
1/2 cup walnuts or almonds

Meal 3
8 ounces chicken
2 cups (cooked) brown rice
salad or 1 cup someother veggie
1 peice of fruit

Post workout
2-3 servings Gatorade powder mixed with 5 grams of creatine.

Shortly after

2 servings whey shake with water

Meal 5
8 ounces lean steak
2 baked sweet potatos
1 large salad with olive oil

Meal 6
1 serving whey shake
1/2-1 cup cottage cheese
1 serving olive oil or flaxseed oil.

mine tastes better[/quote]

Yea and will also put you in the hospital with hardened arteries, kidney failure and a giant stomach.

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
neither of those are ‘good’ diets (they are suck which means they are better than shit…), the second makes improvements on the first, but not a lot.

there is still a lack of fruits and veggies and no fat balance indicated for the meals (where is the fish oil and the flax? these are ‘food’ items along with Metabolic Drive - or a reasonable facsimile)

here is a thread for bulkers (CT’s bulking diet):

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1349235

read it and compare his diet to these (don’t worry about the supps for now, just look at the diet). also if you have questions, he may just answer them.[/quote]

Did you even read the diet? This kid is not CT, brother, he probably could not eat half the stuff he does. This is a well balanced diet, minus your fish oil. Last meal contains flax. There are at least 5 servings of vegetables in there, (yes sweet potatoes are vegetables) and two servings of fruit, a couple short of the RDA, but a huge improvement over hot pockets and tuna fish. No need for Metabolic Drive and did you realize healthy fats come in other sources other than Biotest products? Yep that’s right, olive oil and the nuts I listed contain them too. Good lord.

[quote]chriscarani wrote:
Did you even read the diet? This kid is not CT, brother, he probably could not eat half the stuff he does. This is a well balanced diet, minus your fish oil. Last meal contains flax. There are at least 5 servings of vegetables in there, (yes sweet potatoes are vegetables) and two servings of fruit, a couple short of the RDA, but a huge improvement over hot pockets and tuna fish. No need for Metabolic Drive and did you realize healthy fats come in other sources other than Biotest products? Yep that’s right, olive oil and the nuts I listed contain them too. Good lord. [/quote]

i did. it still sucks (the original poster’s was plain shit).

the point was not to emulate CT’s diet (or even follow it) but to see how it is structured. multiply by whatever fraction to get the right size if one wants to follow).

flax oil, not bad, flax meal is better, taken once is not bad, added to all food meals is better (damn all those free lignans and it doesn’t taste like shit to boot)

veggies, i’d give you the sweet potatoes if it weren’t a variety issue. i still think that there is an obvious need for some leafy greens and other veggies other than the 1 cup included with the other meal. or at least a greens+ type supp.

fruit, two servings a day is an improvement over nothing, but short of the minimum of 5. a minimum for staving off death and disease. bulking minimum should be double that.

Metabolic Drive is a protein replacement, end of story.

fats
i have never purchased Biotest fish oil. i buy the 30% stuff in the store if you must know (webber naturals - meg3)

the omega 6 in your diet is balanced by some flax oil with one meal? unlikely.

[quote]getabsfast83 wrote:
its about 35% protein, 45% carbs and 30% fat.[/quote]

anyone else notice this doesn’t add to 100%?

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
chriscarani wrote:
Did you even read the diet? This kid is not CT, brother, he probably could not eat half the stuff he does. This is a well balanced diet, minus your fish oil. Last meal contains flax. There are at least 5 servings of vegetables in there, (yes sweet potatoes are vegetables) and two servings of fruit, a couple short of the RDA, but a huge improvement over hot pockets and tuna fish. No need for Metabolic Drive and did you realize healthy fats come in other sources other than Biotest products? Yep that’s right, olive oil and the nuts I listed contain them too. Good lord.

i did. it still sucks (the original poster’s was plain shit).

the point was not to emulate CT’s diet (or even follow it) but to see how it is structured. multiply by whatever fraction to get the right size if one wants to follow).

flax oil, not bad, flax meal is better, taken once is not bad, added to all food meals is better (damn all those free lignans and it doesn’t taste like shit to boot)

veggies, i’d give you the sweet potatoes if it weren’t a variety issue. i still think that there is an obvious need for some leafy greens and other veggies other than the 1 cup included with the other meal. or at least a greens+ type supp.

fruit, two servings a day is an improvement over nothing, but short of the minimum of 5. a minimum for staving off death and disease. bulking minimum should be double that.

Metabolic Drive is a protein replacement, end of story.

fats
i have never purchased Biotest fish oil. i buy the 30% stuff in the store if you must know (webber naturals - meg3)

the omega 6 in your diet is balanced by some flax oil with one meal? unlikely.[/quote]

Were you born with a chip on your shoulder or did you just forget to eat your last meal?

Again read the diet plan.

“salad or 1 cup some other veggie”

“1 large salad with olive oil”

Staving off death and disease lol. Ten servings, for a kid who is eating three cans of tuna fish and protein shakes, which is ?an improvement over his other diet?? By the way that is way too many servings for most people. Fruits primarily contain fructose, which cannot be converted to glycogen by muscles, only the liver or for immediate use as energy. So if you want to store more body fat than needed eat ten serving of fruit a day. You are better off with another carbohydrate source, and taking a mixed greens supp (I am with you there) or a high potency multi.

The daily recommendation (since you are so keen on that) for Omega 3, is 4 grams. 1/2 cup of walnuts contains 5 grams (which is in there). Obviously trained individuals need more, hence the flax, and olive oil does contain omega 3 albeit in small amounts.

Yes I know what MD is, an over priced protein powder.

I didn?t write this up to cover every single angle of the kid?s nutrition, buddy boy. I was just giving him an idea of what a decent diet looks like. So go eat something, calm down, and take the stick out of your ass.

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
getabsfast83 wrote:
its about 35% protein, 45% carbs and 30% fat.

anyone else notice this doesn’t add to 100%?[/quote]

haha. No I didn’t. Well I guess he is putting 120% into his diet, lol.

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
getabsfast83 wrote:
its about 35% protein, 45% carbs and 30% fat.

anyone else notice this doesn’t add to 100%?[/quote]

The extra 10% is there to let us know how commited he is to making himself better. :wink:

[quote]chriscarani wrote:
Yea and will also put you in the hospital with hardened arteries, kidney failure and a giant stomach. [/quote]

I hope this was supposed to be a joke.

If not I think they are missing a member over at bodybuilding.com

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
chriscarani wrote:
Yea and will also put you in the hospital with hardened arteries, kidney failure and a giant stomach.

I hope this was supposed to be a joke.

If not I think they are missing a member over at bodybuilding.com[/quote]

Lol. Yes, hyperbole, although not to far off.

Not trying to be a jerk, here, but in the lunch meal he has

12 oz steak
peanut butter bagel sandwich
3 cups milk

Steak had about 7 grams of protein per ounce, milk 8 and probably about 2 TBL spoons of PB on a bagel sand, which has 7 grams so that’s about 120 grams of protein in one meal man, and a ton of saturated fat.

Do you know what the omentum is? Basically it’s why so many BB have distended bellies with six packs. Too much saturated fat!

[quote]chriscarani wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
chriscarani wrote:
Yea and will also put you in the hospital with hardened arteries, kidney failure and a giant stomach.

I hope this was supposed to be a joke.

If not I think they are missing a member over at bodybuilding.com

Lol. Yes, hyperbole, although not to far off.

Not trying to be a jerk, here, but in the lunch meal he has

12 oz steak
peanut butter bagel sandwich
3 cups milk

Steak had about 7 grams of protein per ounce, milk 8 and probably about 2 TBL spoons of PB on a bagel sand, which has 7 grams so that’s about 120 grams of protein in one meal man, and a ton of saturated fat.

Do you know what the omentum is? Basically it’s why so many BB have distended bellies with six packs. Too much saturated fat!
[/quote]

Your stats on milk are way off. Like 8 to 1.

Oh and let me guess- you think saturated fat is bad for you?

Also- ever heard of GH? Apparently not.

[quote]chriscarani wrote:

Were you born with a chip on your shoulder or did you just forget to eat your last meal?

Again read the diet plan.

The daily recommendation (since you are so keen on that) for Omega 3, is 4 grams. 1/2 cup of walnuts contains 5 grams (which is in there). Obviously trained individuals need more, hence the flax, and olive oil does contain omega 3 albeit in small amounts.

Yes I know what MD is, an over priced protein powder.

I didn?t write this up to cover every single angle of the kid?s nutrition, buddy boy. I was just giving him an idea of what a decent diet looks like. So go eat something, calm down, and take the stick out of your ass.
[/quote]

no i suffered it later, bad snowboard crash.

i ran the diet through my program. i have to apoligize and upgrade it to good. sometimes, i don’t know where to draw the line with optimization.

protein: 328g
carbs: 289g
fat: 107g
sat fat: 20.7g
poly fat: 25.4g
mono fat: 61g
o3 (18n3): 7.9g
o6 (18n2): 16.2g
EPA/DHA: 0.07g fish oil could be added

potassium, vitaminC, vitamin B1 and B9 are barely at or above DRI. for a higher calorie diet like this, they should be higher a bit

the lack of long chain polyunsaturated fat is the biggie, easily fixed with fish oil. if walnuts are eaten, then you also are taking in 22g of o6 too, not balanced, this could be remedied by splitting into two servings and eating a heaping tablespoon of flax meal with it.

you’re wrong on the MD.

the doctors say the stick should stay. i meanwhile have been looking for second opinions.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
chriscarani wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
chriscarani wrote:
Yea and will also put you in the hospital with hardened arteries, kidney failure and a giant stomach.

I hope this was supposed to be a joke.

If not I think they are missing a member over at bodybuilding.com

Lol. Yes, hyperbole, although not to far off.

Not trying to be a jerk, here, but in the lunch meal he has

12 oz steak
peanut butter bagel sandwich
3 cups milk

Steak had about 7 grams of protein per ounce, milk 8 and probably about 2 TBL spoons of PB on a bagel sand, which has 7 grams so that’s about 120 grams of protein in one meal man, and a ton of saturated fat.

Do you know what the omentum is? Basically it’s why so many BB have distended bellies with six packs. Too much saturated fat!

Your stats on milk are way off. Like 8 to 1.

Oh and let me guess- you think saturated fat is bad for you?

Also- ever heard of GH? Apparently not.[/quote]

Milk has 8 grams of protein for every cup, right. Yes I think too much saturated fat is bad for you, especially some 70 grams of it in one meal! Do you even know what you are advocating here? Apparently not.