Diet critique

Ok I put together a diet following the steroid diet outline. Some of the numbers are not spot on as you’ll see but considering I will be boxing twice a week, doing meltdown 1 and working my landscaping job I think I can allow going over the recommendations a little bit. Right now I am 6’2, 242lbs I would like to get down to 220 lbs by the end of the month for my next fight. I am going to be taking a MAG10 single dose in the morning, Hot Rox 4 caps a day, ZMA@night.

Here it is:

Calories 2132
Protein 335g
Carbs 128g (8g over steroid diet suggestions)
Fat 48g fat (13 grams over steroid diet suggestions)

Meal #1
7 ounces egg whites
1 slice fat free cheese
1 cup Kashi Go Lean cereal
1 cup whole milk

Meal #2
MRP
Opti nutrition pro shake + one scoop of whey

Meal #3
6 ounces chicken breast
1 serving Raw Broc
1 tablespoon flax oil

Meal #4
MRP

Meal #5
6 ounces chicken
2 serving Birds Eye Green Beans w/ I can’t believe it’s not butter spray

Meal#6
MRP

Hey, there, BAM13.

The things I like? The fact that you’re eating 6 meals a day and eating protein every meal. Your food choices are pretty good, too; clean!

The things I don’t like? Personally, I’m anti-milk (and probably anti-cheese, except for a little “flavor” and then only in small amounts). Milk contains galactose (a milk sugar) that contributes to subcutaneous fat stores. An alternative to milk would be to use something like LC Grow with water as a milk alternative.

I’d actually like to see you eating more green veggie carbs. Either way, be sure to subtract fiber grams from total carb grams when calculating your carb intake.

I wouldn’t worry about cardio considering your profession, choice of workout and the fighting/sparring you do.

Also, at your BW, I’d recommend water intake of 2 gallons per day.

All that said, it’s unlikely you’ll get to 220 by the end of the month. When restricting carbs, I typically see weight loss of up to 12 pounds the first two weeks (mostly lost glycogen stores). From there weight loss is much less dramatic, typically 2 pounds per week.

However, if you’re working out hard and doing Mag-10, I’ll cross my fingers for you.

Any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Thanks alot Terry! I’ll try your suggestion and substitute the whey shake for the milk. That’ll deduct 12 grams of carbs, 8 grams of fat and 8 grams of protein from my over all total.
I am a really big Squash lover and I would like to add that to my diet. How does that sound to you?
Also I seem to hold water really easily. So would the 2 gallons be too much or would my body not absorb it because there would be such a constant flow that I wouldn’t have time to absorb it all?
Oh also I have a SERIOUS sweet tooth do you have any trick or suggestions that will help me combat this? I can go for a few days without a piece of candy but then things get “ugly” and I splurge.
Thank you very much for your time!

Looks good, but 22 lbs in a month is a lot to ask for. I got a feeling you’re gonna be weak even attempting to lose this much. I think 15 lbs is realistic. Best of luck though! TenMan

beAman13, check Don Alessi’s Iron Dog column in T-mag 209 where he outlines a program for someone wanting to lose about as much as you in 8 weeks and keep all the muscle, I know you only got 4 but give it a look it might help. Good luck.

BAM13, great follow-up questions! (grin)

The 2 gallons of water would actually complement weight loss, as the body tends to hold on to water when water is in short supply. It’s an insider’s trick. (grin)

Additionally, it would be a good idea to add .5 to 1T of salt to replace the salt that is excreted with higher water intake.

Squash is an excellent choice. Honestly, for its thermogenic properties, I’d like to see you adding green veggies (or squash) at about 10g to your P+F meals. The fiber will be helpful for regularity and satiety, both.

Sweet tooth and cravings? Use Splenda with our oatmeal (an excellent carb choice). LC Grow by itself is so tasty that that alone will satisfy your sweet tooth. Jello without sugar. Crystal Light. No Sugar pudding with LC Grow for a P+C meal.

And finally, I’d recommend 5-HTP at 100-300 mg per meal, 1-3 times a day at the dosage I just recommended, about a half hour before your meal. The reason I’m giving you such a wide range with dosing is that for some people, lower amounts (100mg x 3) don’t blunt carb cravings. For other people, 300mg x 3 puts them to sleep. You’ll have to experiment. At the optimal dosage, it works quickly; 3 days or less!

Hope that helps. And once again, if you have any other questions . . . (grin)

Awesome news about the squash!! I can’t get enough of that stuff! I’ll try the 5 HTP to curb my cravings, hopefully it will work. Ever try to cure an italian’s carb craving before?? Hahaha…I skipped the milk this morning and added two scoops of whey with water instead - it was definetly um “different”. I’ll get used to it I suppose.

Does anyone have a good recipe for eggwhites in the morning? Scrambled egg whites will only keep my interest for so long.

Tampa-Terry you said add the squash to my P+F meals. I thought that adding carbs was a no no? I really appreciate your help by the way! I haven’t used grow as of yet because of the price but I figure I’ll give it a shot and see what all the hoopla is about…

Oh also I decided I’ll wait on the MAG10 during the first week of meltdown and dieting in order to let my body adjust. Then next week I’ll kick into hyper drive with double dose MAG10.
Also I was thinking about adding an arm routine so my arms don’t totally shrink to 15" nothings (they are at 17.5" now).
Can anyone recommend a maint program?

BAM13, I guess I should clarify. When I gave you the okay on the squash, I was giving the okay on zuchinni and yellow squash (summer-type squashes), not acorn squash, which is a starchier type squash. Either way, just count your carbs (subtracting your fiber, of course).

Re the egg whites, I’d recommend an egg and meat combo instead. Honestly, you should try to be hitting 50g of protein per meal, as close as you can, each and every meal – that recommendation is based on your daily intake of, what, 335g? My favorite egg recipe is 3 eggs, 2 ounces of ground beef, 2 ounces of onions, 2 ounces of red peppers. Remember in any P+F meal you’re allowed up to 10g of carbs. That gives me my 25g of protein, 15g of fat and <10g of carbs. You’ll have to adjust the quantities to hit your numbers.

You’ll like the LC Grow; tastes like a melted milk shake. Remember you can always add Splenda to taste.

Rats…Acorn squash was what I had hoped you meant. But the others will do just fine, thanks again.