T Nation

Diet Critique

Weight-190
Height-6’
BF- 14 (accumeasure)
Goals- fat loss/maintain LBM or increase (obviously!)

7am- HOT-ROX
5g BCAA
5 egg omelet 4 white/1 whole
1 cup veggies (peppers, broccoli, spinach)
2T-pineapple salsa
1 cup yogurt (light n fit nonfat vanilla) w/ .5 cups berries (strawberries/blueberries)

Class

10:30-11
1 scoop ON whey
5g BCAA

Workout

PWO
1 scoop ON whey
5g BCAA

~1pm—1 hr after WO
1 packet “weight control” Oatmeal w/.5 cups berries
Another 5 egg omelet (same as above)

4pm
1 medium chicken breast (about 6oz)
1/2 cup brocolli
handful of spinach
.25 cup grapes in salad
.5oz pumpkin seeds in salad
<1 T of light honey mustard dressing

7pm
5-6oz of trout
Large salad of romaine, spinach, cucumbers etc and grapes (above), dressing (above)

10pm
Pumpkin pudding
1/2 cup pumpkin
1 scoop choc Metabolic Drive
2T of natty pb
cinnamon to taste

bedtime
5g BCAA

I try to stay low on carbs for the most part (under 100g)

I also perform HIIT 3-4/week plus light cardio

Most of my meals are like this. I will post my meals for tomorrow, tomorrow. (I have to work so i usually bring a salad and turkey or tuna lettuce wraps)

Whole eggs, fish oil, and flax. Nike says just do it. I say consider. You might be able to handle a little more fat. If you want to gain, you can take in more carbs, but this should be upped slowly. The first place I would add is the post-workout meal.

Good work on the veggies, protein looks good.

Does your yogurt have sugar added?

I would add the pre-bed BCAA to the post-workout intake.

I looked up the oatmeal, not bad, does it have added vitamins and minerals on the package? I compared to oats which had more phosphorus and potassium, but slightly lower levels of vitamins listed. All in all the nutrient profile is not too different from the steel-cut oats I have been eating for breakfast lately.

Replace the ON Whey with Surge PWO. That’s the only really big hole I see. If you have room in your calorie intake I’d have more whole eggs instead of just the whites. Your last meal of the day probably wouldn’t work too well for me as I don’t do very well with any carbs before bed but that’s just me.

P

[quote]Peter Orban wrote:
Whole eggs, fish oil, and flax. Nike says just do it. I say consider. You might be able to handle a little more fat. If you want to gain, you can take in more carbs, but this should be upped slowly. The first place I would add is the post-workout meal.

Good work on the veggies, protein looks good.

Does your yogurt have sugar added?

I would add the pre-bed BCAA to the post-workout intake.

I looked up the oatmeal, not bad, does it have added vitamins and minerals on the package? I compared to oats which had more phosphorus and potassium, but slightly lower levels of vitamins listed. All in all the nutrient profile is not too different from the steel-cut oats I have been eating for breakfast lately.[/quote]

Those are the two points I would make as well.
1.) AM Carbs to make gains
2.) More fats; stick them later on in the day…

Your measurements are about exactly the same as I was 4mo ago. I was 6’-1", 194lbs @ 15% (approx) bf. Your diet is similar to mine; good luck!

Early morning cardio REALLLLY helped me. Pre-Breakfast (post HRX)

Thanks i appreciate everyones help…b rock, i have just recently started fasted morning cardio, except for some BCAA’s to preserve muscle. I haven’t done any measurements yet but it seems pretty logical that it should work.

do you think i should cycle low carb/mod carbs days 3-4:1…my question has always been how low is low carb…i think anything besides am carbs and PWO carbs is low and moderate carbs is like quinoa with my lunch plus a.m carbs and PWO, do i have the idea??

and i know there are about a million ways to describe low carb and my bodys biochemistry, insulin sensitivity, carbohydrate intolerance etc, i just want a ballpark answer

The only carbs I got were some oatmeal on training days in the morning, a salad for lunch and Surge. That’s it. I was at about 50-60g carbs on training days.

That’s pretty low for guys like us; unless you want to bring your body into Ketosis; which has pros/cons

B Rock, oatmeal and Surge would only give you 50-60g of carbs? I guess you’d only use 1 scoop, not one serving, right?

Anyways, OP, I’d say try and get some Surge or Surge-equivalent for PWO, and eat the eggs whole. There is nothing wrong with having whole eggs.

[quote]tico1028 wrote:
B Rock, oatmeal and Surge would only give you 50-60g of carbs? I guess you’d only use 1 scoop, not one serving, right?

Anyways, OP, I’d say try and get some Surge or Surge-equivalent for PWO, and eat the eggs whole. There is nothing wrong with having whole eggs.[/quote]

Nah I have a full (2scp) serving. One during and One after.

I have some other stragglers of carbs, some spinach at lunch and some other carbs taht just come along with foods…but I don’t get much else.