T Nation

Diet Coke, Pork, and Dairy

just a few questions.

diet coke - only 1.3 cals per can - obviously still bad for you chemically. can someone tell me the highlights of how and why? (and i mean practical ramifications of drinking it - rather than scientific jibberish ;])

pork and dairy - noticed the T-Nation Clinicers (fat loss) were having none of these products.

was wondering if there is something to do with the chemical make up of pork? i.e why is pork bad for you? and is it only bad when in a standard(unhealthy) diet?

and with dairy i read its high GI, but ive also read is a nice source of protein (and taste). Is there more to this story?

thanks!

Diet Coke, contains aspartame. That chemical was invented by Monsanto, who also came up with the infamous Agent Orange. He is in the chemical industry, although he has taken over most of the GM food industry as well. If you’d like to read up on some of the side effects of the chemical: http://aspartame.ca/page_a13.html You said you didn’t want the scientific jibberish so I didn’t quote any studies.

Pork contains trichina worms. As well as many other types of ticks and worms. Enough said.

As far as dairy goes, don’t know enough about that one to comment. Maybe someone else could step in here.

Hope that helped you out some.

Diet coke also blocks calcium absorption. Drink very sparingly. I admit I’ll still have one occassionally, but stick to my green tea and water 99 percent of the time.

Dairy has a high glycemic load, but it’s very anti-catabolic. I drink it only when trying to gain some weight, but never when shredding. I used to get whole unpasteurized milk and it made me feel like a million bucks at about a cup a day. But conventional pasteurized milk is full of synthetic vitamins, and synthetic Vitamin A is actually toxic and been shown to increase cancer risk and other adverse effects.

As for the pork, we don’t have to worry about the worms too much in this day and age. That’s so rare anymore. I was actually just reading about pork loin having some special health benefits. I’ll try to track that article back down. It’s a good source of lean protein and can be eaten in a clean diet.

They’re looking for extreme transformation in the clinic, and are limiting intake to optimal food sources. Pork is variety, but not the powerhouse like salmon, grass-fed beef, etc.

[quote]MsM wrote:
Diet Coke, contains aspartame. That chemical was invented by Monsanto, who also came up with the infamous Agent Orange.[/quote]

I love how you bring two distinct, seperate and unrelated facts together in the same sentence to create some serious FUD.

But, I do agree on being wary of artifical chemicals in food.

But, yeah, well done with those debating skills.

[quote]Spry wrote:
MsM wrote:
Diet Coke, contains aspartame. That chemical was invented by Monsanto, who also came up with the infamous Agent Orange.

I love how you bring two distinct, seperate and unrelated facts together in the same sentence to create some serious FUD.

But, I do agree on being wary of artifical chemicals in food.

But, yeah, well done with those debating skills.[/quote]

The point that I was trying to make was, do you want to drink a chemical that was made by the same person that invents chemical warfare agents? In other words, it’s a chemical…not food.

Also, A scientist who was part of the development team for aspartame was interviewed on television after its invention and the following ensued:

Reporter: “so how do you feel now that you’ve helped invent a substance that will revolutionize the coffee industry?”

Researcher: “coffee? I wouldn’t put it in your coffee.”

This is because it is not supposed to be heated as it becomes very toxic when heated.

There is a heating process in the making of most sodas and in the canning on sodas.

So yeah, stick to splenda. made from sugar molecules with the energy substrate removed.

Dairy can often contain estrogens that are pumped into the cows to make the heffers milk more. The exogenous hormones will be found in post metabolic products such as milk and piss. So get your free birth control pills at your local grocer.

Just for you I won’t even look for the studies and the clip of the reporter.

-chris

[quote]Thrown wrote:
Diet coke also blocks calcium absorption. Drink very sparingly. I admit I’ll still have one occassionally, but stick to my green tea and water 99 percent of the time.

Dairy has a high glycemic load, but it’s very anti-catabolic. I drink it only when trying to gain some weight, but never when shredding. I used to get whole unpasteurized milk and it made me feel like a million bucks at about a cup a day. But conventional pasteurized milk is full of synthetic vitamins, and synthetic Vitamin A is actually toxic and been shown to increase cancer risk and other adverse effects.

As for the pork, we don’t have to worry about the worms too much in this day and age. That’s so rare anymore. I was actually just reading about pork loin having some special health benefits. I’ll try to track that article back down. It’s a good source of lean protein and can be eaten in a clean diet.

They’re looking for extreme transformation in the clinic, and are limiting intake to optimal food sources. Pork is variety, but not the powerhouse like salmon, grass-fed beef, etc.[/quote]

thats exactly why i post this stuff at t nation rather than look up scientific journals.

here people can and have applied the science to actual practical situations.
the fact that it blocks calcium absorption is one such perfect practical message.

i can get alot of pork cheaply where i am, i know it cant be bad for you in moderation - i was just wondering if say 800g lean pork loin in 1 day (not every day) may have some kind of chemical significance im not aware of.

it would be good if a clinic client could let me know the coaches take on pork and dairy for fat loss and matainance?

thanks!

the diet coke fear is way exaggerated its 100 times better then regular still not as great as water but hey tastes great. I also use fake sugar in green tea all the time, nothing wrong with it. Honestly diet coke isn’t as good as water and you should stick to that generally, but its really not that bad with all the fake science on it.

Nothing wrong with pork or dairy either pork is a really bad source of protein relative to other sources though. Milk is good for you, squats and milk for a reason. -best for bulking-

[quote]Avocado wrote:
A
This is because it is not supposed to be heated as it becomes very toxic when heated.

-chris

[/quote]

LOL! What absolute BS.

Yes, you can’t cook with aspartame, but only because it breaks down into exactly the same chemicals that it does when ingested.

Therefore it loses its sweetness. Same as it does if you leave it too long, or even out in the sun/heat for a couple of days - that’s why the expiration dates are relatively short compared to regular soda.

As simple search would have given you that info.

And I’m guessing you don’t know that the potentially toxic ‘chemical’ that aspartame breaks down to is an ESSENTIAL amino acid. Go figure - an essential amino acid is toxic in high enough doses. Well, most things are toxic in high enough doses - reminds me of the ‘apple juice gives rats cancer’ experiment.

Anyway, I respect peoples decisions not to drink diet sodas, but posting this absolute BS is just unwarranted.

This biggest issue with diet sodas is that they are not good for your teeth. Well unless you are drinking more than 20 cans/day. Then you might get close to the ‘toxic’ realm.

Don’t know about the calcium absorption, could be another reason to stay away from them. But with heavy lifting and a decent diet, loss of bone density isn’t going to be much of a health concern. But that’s more of an opinion than a fact.

[quote]cynical kane wrote:

Do you fly in airplanes that are made by the same people who make missiles? Aren’t you worried that the airplane might suddenly lock on to a target, crash into it and explode?[/quote]

That’s why I haven’t bought a SAAB. I’m worried it’s going to suddenly take off or worse, get into a dogfight with a rouge F16.

[quote]Avocado wrote:
… The exogenous hormones will be found in post metabolic products such as milk and piss…

[/quote]

So I guess I’d better cut down on the cow piss!

Sodas (diet and otherwise) are crap. Avoid them.

Pork is fine. Eat it if you like.

Dairy is good if your body can handle it (not lactose intolerant) and if you have room in your diet for the carbs. It seems hard to get super lean if you are eating a lot of dairy though so this one is not good for everyone.

[quote]Avocado wrote:

Dairy can often contain estrogens that are pumped into the cows to make the heffers milk more. The exogenous hormones will be found in post metabolic products such as milk and piss. …
[/quote]

I have seen studies claiming that milk from cows given hormones and those not given hormones is indistinguishable. The “extra” hormones were not detected so I am not sure that is a big concern. Hard to know the truth of it and we certainly are not going to get straight answers from either the dairy industry or Peta.

[quote]cynical kane wrote:
MsM wrote:
Spry wrote:
MsM wrote:
Diet Coke, contains aspartame. That chemical was invented by Monsanto, who also came up with the infamous Agent Orange.

I love how you bring two distinct, seperate and unrelated facts together in the same sentence to create some serious FUD.

But, I do agree on being wary of artifical chemicals in food.

But, yeah, well done with those debating skills.

The point that I was trying to make was, do you want to drink a chemical that was made by the same person that invents chemical warfare agents? In other words, it’s a chemical…not food.

Do you fly in airplanes that are made by the same people who make missiles? Aren’t you worried that the airplane might suddenly lock on to a target, crash into it and explode?[/quote]

yawn

homo :slight_smile:

[quote]Pansee Sauvage wrote:
cynical kane wrote:

Do you fly in airplanes that are made by the same people who make missiles? Aren’t you worried that the airplane might suddenly lock on to a target, crash into it and explode?

That’s why I haven’t bought a SAAB. I’m worried it’s going to suddenly take off or worse, get into a dogfight with a rouge F16.[/quote]

Don’t buy a BMW either, they used to make planes before cars :slight_smile:

[quote]dday wrote:
Pansee Sauvage wrote:
cynical kane wrote:

Do you fly in airplanes that are made by the same people who make missiles? Aren’t you worried that the airplane might suddenly lock on to a target, crash into it and explode?

That’s why I haven’t bought a SAAB. I’m worried it’s going to suddenly take off or worse, get into a dogfight with a rouge F16.

Don’t buy a BMW either, they used to make planes before cars :slight_smile:
[/quote]

To the 4 and the 10 post wonders, if you don’t like the different spectrum of answers and opinions, why would you post in a forum?

Btw, I would not let myself be insulted by someone that uses the word “cheaper” and another who whines about 2400 cals being so hard to get in in a day - that’s fucking breakfast!

  1. aspartame falls under the classification of excitotoxins - think MSG. the phosphorous in sodas - diet and otherwise - can eat away rust - think of your bones as rust. glutamine and glutamate are not the same animal - aspartame belongs to the latter.

  2. on pork - i have no comment. i personally like the center sirloin lean cut myself.

  3. dairy can trigger allergies. non/low fat dairy tends to have hidden sugars. i read somewhere that skim milk can cause insulin spikes - and when trying to burn fat, insulin spikes are rather undesirable.

[quote]Pansee Sauvage wrote:
Avocado wrote:
A
This is because it is not supposed to be heated as it becomes very toxic when heated.

-chris

LOL! What absolute BS.

Yes, you can’t cook with aspartame, but only because it breaks down into exactly the same chemicals that it does when ingested.

Therefore it loses its sweetness. Same as it does if you leave it too long, or even out in the sun/heat for a couple of days - that’s why the expiration dates are relatively short compared to regular soda.

As simple search would have given you that info.
[/quote]

So I’m assuming you missed the point where he was quoting the scientist who helped create the chemical? Those weren’t his own words, so chill out. You have stock in the chemical or something?

Lol I have never seen someone defend a chemical so violently before!

Anyway they just wrote in one of the articles about why milk is bad. Basically causing a huge spike in insulin, not something you want at just any time of day.

Oh and so I can fit better in this thread:

WHAT?!?! Diet coke is the best freaken thing like every made!!! How ever could it be bad for me!! What? Alter my tastes in foods so that I crave more sugar? NEVER! Chemicals bad for me? How dare you say such things!

Wow! There sure are some lame scare tactics thrown around in this thread.

Don’t sweet an occasional diet soda. I don’t care if it was designed by the devil, it’s not going to hurt you. Just don’t rely on them for the bulk of your fluid intake.

Pork is fine – just make sure it’s adequately cooked.

Dairy is fine too, as long as you’re not allergic or lactose intolerant.

I think you have the lame part about right.

Listen, it’s about making informed choices as to what you put in your body. I never once said “don’t drink diet soda”. I have one every now and again. I have one about once every six months - not six a day like many people.

You should try reading some good double-blind research instead of making statements like “pork is fine”.