Diet Coke and Other Diet Drinks

Hey

I am cutting from 20% down to 12-10% at the moment and I am about 9 weeks from reaching my goal.I was wondering how many of you who have competed and that have reached 12% and below body fat drink diet soft drinks while cutting??

I did, but i think i over did it in the end and it may of hurt me drinking so much of it towards the end of my diet. next time i will keep it in moderation.

Sure you can, though it’s not necessarily good for your teeth/gum health.

Just make sure it is caffeine free diet soda.

Oh I see…Seems its ok then haha

Are you guys all competing?

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:
Just make sure it is caffeine free diet soda.[/quote]

Why the caffeine free?

First, a super large critter that use to post around here was a few weeks out from a contest, where he had to abruptly stop due to drinking too much diet soda.

At the end of the day, drinking some in moderation may be mentally helpful but the fact is that water is always going to be the better choice. Every single time.

[quote]SSC wrote:
First, a super large critter that use to post around here was a few weeks out from a contest, where he had to abruptly stop due to drinking too much diet soda.

At the end of the day, drinking some in moderation may be mentally helpful but the fact is that water is always going to be the better choice. Every single time.[/quote]
where is he at now? is he healthy again?

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:

At the end of the day, drinking some in moderation may be mentally helpful but the fact is that water is always going to be the better choice. Every single time.[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, he’s doing quite well at this point. He has recently hired John Meadows to assist with off-season gaining. To my knowledge he’s contemplating a show this fall but has not committed.

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:

[/quote]

Yes, he’s doing quite well at this point. He has recently hired John Meadows to assist with off-season gaining. To my knowledge he’s contemplating a show this fall but has not committed. [/quote]
hell yeah glad to hear he’s back to kicking ass

is there anywhere online where ppl can follow his progress (pm me if need be)

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:
Just make sure it is caffeine free diet soda.[/quote]

Why the caffeine free?[/quote]

I will post a quote because we can’t link to competitor’s websites but I’ve heard this a few places:

[quote]“The effects of caffeine drunk with aspartame”

CAFFEINE AND ASPARTAME
According to Mercola.com, the amino acid aspartic acid, which composes 40 percent of aspartame, elevates the level of aspartame in the blood. This chemical travels to the brain via the blood and performs as a neurotransmitter. It allows calcium and free radicals to enter brain cells that later die as a result of overstimulation; aspartame is referred to as an excitotoxin because it “excites” cells to death. Caffeine, which has side effects similar to aspartame, also stimulates brain activity and can compound the damage aspartame may cause. Taking caffeine in conjunction with aspartame may worsen side effects.[/quote]

Also some person named Dr. Christian Northup wrote this on their blog in regards to the subject:

[quote]Dr.Northup wrote:

Aspartame is probably the worst offender, especially when combined with caffeine in diet cola products. Aspartame is a known excitotoxin that causes brain cells to get over stimulated and then dieâ??a process that is made much worse with caffeine. [/quote]

I heard that in some documentary I watched on netflix as well (so specific and credible, I know, lol).

Needless to say… the fact I’ve heard this in multiple places leads me to believe it wouldn’t be such a bad thing to avoid combining aspartame and caffeine.

I competed in 2 contests last year. I drank diet coke on the weekends, usually a large one from McDonalds. The taste of sweetness and jolt of caffeine kept me sane. I stopped diet cokes about 3 weeks before my contests. Everything in moderation