T Nation

Diet Coach/Training Coach

[quote]eatliftsleep wrote:
honestly I don’t want to talk shit or bash him in any way, I did not try his routine, so I can’t really say anything, but IMO that’s just not enough for me. Me personally, I need a coach who is going to be pretty thorough with me and not just give me two sentence replies. No big deal, just not what I’m looking for. Definitely saving up for JM for my future cut.

Grind over matter, Phil is pretty damn cheap, only $300 for a year, you get what you pay for. [/quote]

Unless the question involves a simple and short answer, two-sentence replies would make me feel like just a number.

edit: but I never worked with the guy, so I can’t say how the above statement would apply

I worked with Hernon for about a month or so. His training advice I found online was always helpful, and his training concepts were very influential in Big Beyond Belief, which I loved. Working with him, it just seemed he was unnecessarily short with me, and he made no tweaks or improvements past the cookie cutter program he gave you, myself, and to find out a few others I know have worked with him, along with the diet. He made no changes, no recommendations, and in not so many words said that the program is kind of ‘perfect’ so there’s no need to tailor it to the individual.

His diet did not really work with me. I understand his theory, that your muscle mass will dictate your hunger levels or whatever, but honestly I felt like shit on the diet and it seemed unnecessarily restricting. The way he used to train (very high frequency) isn’t how he does it now, and while I appreciate how much old articles and forums of his writing have helped influence my training, he himself just wasn’t the right coach for me. I feel the clientele he has (usually bigger, enhanced guys) probably suit his style much more than I. I don’t wish to knock the dude, as I said, his training philosophies as a whole really have helped me a ton. But as a coach, he’s just not what I prefer, now having worked with others.

Phil Hernon knows his stuff very well, and coaches a lot of competitors. He emailed me back within 20 minutes most of the times I contacted him with a question. Thing is, you have to follow the initial diet and program, and report back on what’s going on… guy needs some time to learn how your body works. Training and diet is simpler than most people seem to want it to be…

When you think about it, Phil’s business model is genius. Most people pay him the 300 bucks and then hop onto the next thing that catches their attention, and he never hears from them again. haha

I can tell you from experience though, the man is dedicated and serious about what he does, and I made a lot of progress working with him.

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
Never heard a good thing about Phil [/quote]

A lot of people can’t stand Phil, he is a bit of a polarizing character. A lot of people love the guy too though, it’s hard to believe you never noticed that over at the other forum.

Yeah on THAT forum, for some reason Phil doesn’t seem to take kids who cycled for a grand total of 2 years and promptly crowned themselves bodybuilding experts of a natty-dominated forum too seriously. I can’t understand the guy :slight_smile:

[quote]jeremielemauvais wrote:
Yeah on THAT forum, for some reason Phil doesn’t seem to take kids who cycled for a grand total of 2 years and promptly crowned themselves bodybuilding experts of a natty-dominated forum too seriously. I can’t understand the guy :slight_smile: [/quote]

you referring to me or something?

I have no clue if you post on THAT forum or not, so no.

Yeah on THAT forum, for some reason Phil doesn’t seem to take kids who cycled for a grand total of 2 years and promptly crowned themselves bodybuilding experts of a natty-dominated forum too seriously. I can’t understand the guy :slight_smile: [/quote]

[/quote]

I have no clue if you post on THAT forum or not, so no.

[/quote]
[/quote]

i pretty much have no clue what you guys are talking about, but i just wanna say, i’m sure phil is a great coach, i just prefer something different, that’s all. Of course there will be mixed opinions, can’t please everyone.

now i’m work with Emmet Browne

ELS did you ever decide on a coach?

[quote]Yogi wrote:
ELS did you ever decide on a coach?[/quote]

yeah bud, i went with a little lesser known (as of right now) coach. Name is Curt Dennis Jr. You can look him up on facebook if you’d like. I’m pretty sure any links I post will get deleted.

But yeah, things are going good up 4-5lbs so far, training is intense, a lot of higher rep, superset type things which i am really liking, pumps are very good. Currently cruising right now but gonna get back in my rocket ship and blast off in about 5 weeks. I’d like to get up to 240-250lbs, depending on the mirror as well obviously, then go with john meadows and do a nice lean out and hopefully have the balls to enter a show lol.

Seriously, you’re working with “the brute”??? Interesting, I used to wonder when he’d he get into the bodybuilding racket.

He used to post on this site, and was generally respected (Dude was/is big as a house), although Stronghold had some choice things to say about hum here (scroll down to “running joke in powerlifting”)

[quote]Yogi wrote:
ELS did you ever decide on a coach?[/quote]

yeah bud, i went with a little lesser known (as of right now) coach. Name is Curt Dennis Jr. You can look him up on facebook if you’d like. I’m pretty sure any links I post will get deleted.

But yeah, things are going good up 4-5lbs so far, training is intense, a lot of higher rep, superset type things which i am really liking, pumps are very good. Currently cruising right now but gonna get back in my rocket ship and blast off in about 5 weeks. I’d like to get up to 240-250lbs, depending on the mirror as well obviously, then go with john meadows and do a nice lean out and hopefully have the balls to enter a show lol. [/quote]

haha that’s funny, i didn’t know he used to post on here.

I’m pretty sure Reed knows Curt, is that how you came across him?

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
I’m pretty sure Reed knows Curt, is that how you came across him?[/quote]

ding ding ding

Quick Ben,
What happened to that email account man? I was very bummed to see that it vaporized.