T Nation

Diet Coach/Training Coach

[quote]Yogi wrote:
you doing a comp ELS?[/quote]

I want to, but im just really anxious to see what i’m working with and need to shed some fat first. Still feel like i need a shit load of size first, but definitely something I will do, just not sure when yet. I’m hiring Phil Hernon today, can’t really go wrong with the price he offers. So hopefully he can help get me dialed in.

Quick Ben on here used Hernon’s services for a year when he began training seriously.

Pros: He’ll tell it to you like he sees it without sugarcoating things.

As for the cons, you’ll see :slight_smile:

[quote]eatliftsleep wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

I want to, but im just really anxious to see what i’m working with and need to shed some fat first. Still feel like i need a shit load of size first, but definitely something I will do, just not sure when yet. I’m hiring Phil Hernon today, can’t really go wrong with the price he offers. So hopefully he can help get me dialed in.
[/quote]

[quote]jeremielemauvais wrote:
Quick Ben on here used Hernon’s services for a year when he began training seriously.

Pros: He’ll tell it to you like he sees it without sugarcoating things.

As for the cons, you’ll see :slight_smile:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

Cons? Like what? Most everything ive read has been positive. Have you used him?

If Meadows is too expensive

Matt Porter. without a doubt.

[quote]zraw wrote:
If Meadows is too expensive

Matt Porter. without a doubt.[/quote]

Well shit i wish you would have commented before i went with hernon, oh well hopefully hes good

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[/quote]

well best of luck mate, you’re looking fucking huge in that new avatar

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[/quote]

well best of luck mate, you’re looking fucking huge in that new avatar[/quote]

thanks man appreciate it, i still feel like i need waaaaayy more size though, definitely need to bring up chest and arms, those are weak points for me i believe, definitely definitely going to do a show in the future, i just feel like i need more size first or at least bring up those parts

so here is the routine that was suggested to me. Honestly I am not feeling it at all. I am one that loves high volume and to be honest I never really have done any low volume like this before. I just don’t feel like I’m getting enough stimulus if i were to do that. What do you guys think on this routine?

3 Sets ONLY per body part. After warm up, do heaviest set first, maybe in the range of 5-9 reps to failure, then drop 10% for another set, then another 10% … go again when breathing returns to normal

1. Chest, Back, Standing calves-
  2. Quads, hamstrings, abs-1 set crunches to failure
  3. Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps, Seated calves-
  4. Off

so here is the routine that was suggested to me. Honestly I am not feeling it at all. I am one that loves high volume and to be honest I never really have done any low volume like this before. I just don’t feel like I’m getting enough stimulus if i were to do that. What do you guys think on this routine?

3 Sets ONLY per body part. After warm up, do heaviest set first, maybe in the range of 5-9 reps to failure, then drop 10% for another set, then another 10% … go again when breathing returns to normal

1. Chest, Back, Standing calves-
  2. Quads, hamstrings, abs-1 set crunches to failure
  3. Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps, Seated calves-
  4. Off

[/quote]

i think i am just going to save my money for john meadows, cause john meadows is the fucking man and whatever he tells me to do, i’ll have zero doubt in my mind about it, and that’s what i need, because sometimes i’m a bitch when it comes to change.

thanks man appreciate it, i still feel like i need waaaaayy more size though, definitely need to bring up chest and arms, those are weak points for me i believe, definitely definitely going to do a show in the future, i just feel like i need more size first or at least bring up those parts
[/quote]

Don’t let your head screw with you, at least not yet -lol. Everyone thinks they need more size, better conditioning etc. You’d be surprised how much bigger someone can appear after shedding a bit o’ fat while retaining their lean mass.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[/quote]

Don’t let your head screw with you, at least not yet -lol. Everyone thinks they need more size, better conditioning etc. You’d be surprised how much bigger someone can appear after shedding a bit o’ fat while retaining their lean mass.

S[/quote]

yeah i hear ya, i just feel like i’d be majorly disappointed if i leaned out right now, well at least with my arms and chest, those fuckers are so stubborn for some reason. I think my front delts take on most the work, and that makes my tris suffer too

I don’t really like that routine either to be honest. I’m not sure I’d grow off of that.

Speaking as a very delt dominant presser who’s managed to make my chest a stand out bodypart, here’s what I’ve been doing for my chest:

-3 sets low to high cable flyes, 2 second squeeze at the top of each rep, slow eccentric, not going all the way back into a stretch
-3 sets high to low cable flyes, same as before with tempo
-4 sets barbell incline
-4 sets barbell decline

and that’s it, done as part of a push workout, done twice a week.

You’re a big dude so you certainly don’t need my help, but when I do this routine my chest seems to get trashed with very little stress on my front delts so maybe there’s some stuff there you could try

[quote]Yogi wrote:
I don’t really like that routine either to be honest. I’m not sure I’d grow off of that.

Speaking as a very delt dominant presser who’s managed to make my chest a stand out bodypart, here’s what I’ve been doing for my chest:

-3 sets low to high cable flyes, 2 second squeeze at the top of each rep, slow eccentric, not going all the way back into a stretch
-3 sets high to low cable flyes, same as before with tempo
-4 sets barbell incline
-4 sets barbell decline

and that’s it, done as part of a push workout, done twice a week.

You’re a big dude so you certainly don’t need my help, but when I do this routine my chest seems to get trashed with very little stress on my front delts so maybe there’s some stuff there you could try[/quote]

dude seriously thankyou, i am definitely not big though, but i will be one day! Yeah when i was sent that routine i was a little disappointed. I just don’t see any way of me growing off of that but i didn’t try it so i guess i can’t say anything. I enjoy higher volume anyway and enjoy my time in the gym so i want to maximize it. But i got another coach, program and diet is solid, and gonna focus on gaining mass and hopefully bringing up everything into proportion, and in the mean time, save up for john meadows to get me lean after this mass phase and definitely do a show.

I’ll give that chest workout a try, when you say twice a week, how many days in between are you giving it?

well you’re bigger than me mate!

I’m doing that chest workout on mondays and thursdays. I’m training a push/pull/legs/push/pull, Mon-Fri. I thought it might be more than I could handle but I’m keeping the reps high and the rest times low for everything and it seems to be doing the trick

you have to trust phil bro… he knows what he’s talking about

Remember man, there’s more than one way to skin a cat. If you attack those sets with Dorian like intensity , you’ll grow.

Does it cost much to work with phil?

No way i could only do three sets for back though, back requires at least one rowing movement and one pulling down movment IMO.

Never heard a good thing about Phil

honestly I don’t want to talk shit or bash him in any way, I did not try his routine, so I can’t really say anything, but IMO that’s just not enough for me. Me personally, I need a coach who is going to be pretty thorough with me and not just give me two sentence replies. No big deal, just not what I’m looking for. Definitely saving up for JM for my future cut.

Grind over matter, Phil is pretty damn cheap, only $300 for a year, you get what you pay for.

You should also consider Skip aka Ken Hill. Shelby is the effing man and gets people into crazy condition, but he is expensive (for a reason). JM and Skip are great choices too. You also need to decide what type of coaching you want. Some will lower the price if there is no teaching involved. Meaning, not having to explain or divulge why they are doing what they are doing in regards to diet and training for you.

[quote]Mateus wrote:
You should also consider Skip aka Ken Hill. Shelby is the effing man and gets people into crazy condition, but he is expensive (for a reason). JM and Skip are great choices too. You also need to decide what type of coaching you want. Some will lower the price if there is no teaching involved. Meaning, not having to explain or divulge why they are doing what they are doing in regards to diet and training for you. [/quote]

Yeah i am the type of person who is gonna ask why to a lot of things, especially since i am new to the hiring a coach thing.