T Nation

Diet and Workout Help

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for reading :slightly_smiling: Let me start off with a tiny bit about myself. When I was 16, I lost 60 pounds. I kept it off for a long time, but recent personal events/problems, combined with starting to buckle down and work hard in school has lead me to put it back on. Now I'm 20, 6'2" and 235 pounds. Unfortunately for me, there's a combination of forgetting a lot of the finer points of diet/work outs, and a need for perfection, which I've come to force myself to realize is impossible. Either way, I need your guys' help with my diet. This is what I have now:

1 (9 AM): 1/4 cup steel cut oatmeal, 3 egg whites, one whole egg, one banana
2 (11 AM): 1 scoop protein powder (ON Optimum Whey), 2 cups water, 1/4 cup walnuts
3 (1 PM): 1 cup brown rice, 4 oz chicken breast, 1 cup carrots
4 (3 PM): 1 red pepper, 1 slice whole grain bread, 1 can of tuna
5 (6 PM): 4 oz 98% Lean Ground Turkey, 1 red potato, 1 cup broccoli
6 (9 PM): 1/2 cup nonfat yogurt, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup strawberries

This comes to 2,033 calories, 52.0g of fat, 192.2g of carbs, 198.7g of protein

The protein seems a bit low to me, but I'm not sure what to do about that without eating a ton of chicken/tuna a day lol.

Now, as for the workouts, can anyone suggest a routine that is good for cutting?

Thanks!

Actually, I would add a few calories in the fat department. Your total calories look a bit low - you should aim for no more than 500 or so less than your BMR (the number you need to sustain your weight). Eating less will cause you to lose muscle along with fat, which is what you do not want. I need approximately 3000 calories to maintain my 185 lbs and I work out 4-5 times/week. Remember - eating fat does not make you fat (within reason) so you may want to eat the whole eggs, or add some nuts to get healthy fat into your diet.

Assuming you are not presently working out, anything you do will help you lose fat and maintain or even gain some muscle, at least at first. A good mix of cardio and strength training doing whole-body workouts at least 3X/week should suit you fine. If you do cardio on the same days as weights, remember to do the weights first so as not to be too tired from the cardio to lift. Shoot for losing 1-2 lbs/week and adjust your calories and/or workouts if not getting the results you want. After that, you may want to add some lean mass. 175 pounds at 6'2" is a bit on the lean side.

Thanks a ton for the reply! Are you sure about how much I should be eating, though? I looked at several different ways to find out and got a few different numbers for BMR/RMR, from 2044 - 2333. The highest one:

BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x 235 ) + ( 12.7 x 74 ) - ( 6.8 x 20 )
= 66 + (1464.05) + (939.8) - (136)
= 2333.85

Moving up to that amount, though, I'm concerned about the protein amount. Should I do the 1g/pound thing? I have no idea how to add more protein in without getting sick of tuna and chicken after the first three days lol. Any suggestions?

Yeah, I haven't worked out in a while. I still have a bit of muscle from when I worked out, but I've noticed I've lost a bit since I had to stop. Would doing weights before the protein shake meal be a good idea, and then cardio a few hours later nearer to night? I remember back when I first started there was arguments about working out and doing cardio 8 hours apart from each other, though I'm not sure if it's true. I'll definitely want to add mass, I probably wont cut to 10% til after a bulk.

Thanks again for the reply :slightly_smiling:

I'm not 100% sure about this, but would be willing to bet that your BMR calculations do not take into account your physical activities. Once you start working out, you will be burning more calories as well. I base my assumptions on my own personal experience, and I know I could not exist for long on 2000 calories per day. The best thing to do is to keep a food log for a couple of weeks and keep track of the cals/day you eat now, and then subtract 500 or so per day. On days that you work out, you will want to add some calories, and a protein shake post-workout should take care of that.

It wouldn't hurt to add some protein if you are concerned about that. Just keep total calories in check. As far as when to do cardio, you will get many opinions on this. Personally, I don't think it matters much as long as you do it.

100% agree @ keeping a food log. It has helped me tremendously. Planning meals out in advance really works.

You're right, I completely forgot, woops lol. So multiply by 1.375 with 3/week workouts and cardio is 3209. Wow, 2700 is a lot more than I expected, still seems like a bulking diet to me. Would it be bad if I started off at ~2500, and went up if I was still hungry/losing muscle? Yeah, I'll definitely try out a food log, seems like it'll help a lot.

Thanks again for the replies and help :slightly_smiling:

If you have an iphone/itouch get a food log for that, I use one and its wicked easy to track your eating. I've found that eating about 1/3 of my calories from each macro has worked really well to at least maintain my weight and not get heavier, I am a pretty solid meso-endomorph, just to give you an idea.

Which app do you use? There are a ton lol

Sorry for double posting, but I've changed up my diet.

1 (9 AM): 1/2 cup steel cut oatmeal, 6 egg whites, one whole egg, one banana
2 (11 AM): 1 scoop protein powder (ON Optimum Whey), 2 cups water, 1/2 cup walnuts
3 (1 PM): 1 cup brown rice, 6 oz chicken breast, 1 cup carrots
4 (3 PM): 1 red pepper, 1 slice whole grain bread, 1 can of tuna
5 (6 PM): 4 oz 98% Lean Ground Turkey, 1 red potato, 1 cup broccoli
6 (9/10 PM): 1/2 cup nonfat yogurt, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup strawberries

This comes out to
2,522 calories, 75.7g of fat, 222.0g of carbs, 236.3g of protein, 26% fat, 35% carbs, 39% protein.

Any suggestions how to get more fat, less carbs? By the way, I think I forgot to include this, I'll be taking liquid fish oil every day, too.