T Nation

Diet and Training

Gooood Morrrning T-Nation!! This is probably the third time I've asked for help and the 1000th time I've wanted to. Currently I'm 227lbs and 15-20% bodyfat (my calipers tell me something different each time). Two years ago I weighed 300lbs at who knows what bf% and a year ago I was at the peak of my diet/workout phase, motivation came easy, and I was having no problem maintining my food and training log, which I did consistently for the last six months of that year. At my best shape I was 214lbs 13%bf. For the last year (4/03 to 4/04)I have been ashamed of myself, I've had no consistency in the gym or the kitchen, I couldn't go 3 days without cheating on my diet; which usually meant fast food, and for the last few months I've really slacked of in the weight room. But I've joined a more hardcore gym which really motivates me and I'm on my second day of the fat fast. My new workout is to do Chins, Pullups, dips, bench, Squats, Deadlifts, and Rows in one work out. 3sets of 8 reps, as I feel that I've really ignored certain muscle groups.

I just wanted to ask the T-Nation for any thoughts or ideas (be it for diet or training) that could help out in my new program.

Thanks,

Ed

Give any of these programs a shot they all work.

http://www.t-mag.com./nation_articles/307hyper.jsp

http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/257ovt2.html

http://www.t-mag.com/articles/173melt.html
http://www.t-mag.com/articles/205melt2.html
http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/258melt2.html

Hey, there, Ed!!!

Fat Fast is a rough diet. High failure rate. My recommendation is that you have a Plan B in place if/when you can't stand it anymore. My vote goes with T-Dawg 2.0.

In the meantime, read John Berardi's article, "7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutritional Progams." Institute his recommendations as part of taking control of your life. Part of making this a lifestyle and holding on to it is learning how to eat, replacing bad habits with good ones, and putting some structure in place. Fat Fast isn't really going to teach you how to do any of that.

Anyway, not trying to talk you out of it. Just have a Plan B ready for when you need to make a transition.

BTW, as a general rule, when you're going ultra-low/no carb, you're better doing heavy weight and less reps. Try 8x3, instead of 3x8. And don't do more than 20 sets in a given workout.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

you are doing "chins, pullups, dips, bench, squat, deads, and rows" in one workout? how many times a week?

if you can handle that then cool!

i personally tried doing heavy ass deads/squat/bench 2x a week, i burnt out in a week and a half or so.. major sore rotator/back/shoulders. the point is to try it, because if you do try it and somehow manage to make big gains on it, then you got something good going!

unless you meant:

day 1:
chins, bench, squat

day 2:
pullups, dips, deads

if you didnt mean that, and you get totally fried doing what you are gonna do, try something like that out, maybe put a day 3 (light/speed) to recover :slight_smile:

as far as fast food, do you cook for yourself? crappy places get ditched when you're making yourself great food: subs,steakds,chicken,pastas. become the iron chef.

anyway good luck

peace

Terry, thanks for the feedback. I've been lifting heavy for the last six months and have actually made decent gains, but I feel like I need a change. Is there anything wrong with a hypertrophy type training while on a fat loss diet?

Ed, it's like iamnobody said, "if you can handle it, then cool!"

The purpose of a hypertrophy program is to create a stimulus for growth. A hypertrophy program typically has higher volume and more TUT (Time Under Tension) and results in more muscle breakdown than, say, a strength program does.

The problem with following a hypertrophy program when you're cutting (especially with an extreme program like FF) is that you're eating at way below your maintenance calories, and you're not providing your body with the substrates it needs to make those repairs. And carbs definitely facilitate the process of repairing/building muscle.

So if your body is not optimally making those repairs because you're hypocaloric and taking in little to no carbs, recovery is going to become an issue. Or it does for most people, anyway.

FYI, strength training doesn't use as much glycogen (carbs stored in the muscles) as a hypertrophy training does. It causes more of a CNS adaptation, than a muscular adaptation. It's the best type of training you could do on a cutting diet and will do a better job of preserving muscle for you than a hypertrophy program.

You're free to follow any program you want, of course, but a lot of us around here love to study the science of body composition and what is ideal/optimal; in other words what gives us the biggest bang for the buck. Even then, there are many approaches to any given goal. (grin)

Tampa-Terry,

That's a great point on training, while dieting.

Do you do each bodypart once per week?

Pats, there are no hard and fast rules on how many times to work out a bard part. Chad Waterbury would tell you that you could work out a body part several times a week. Different strength and conditioning coaches have different views on the subject.

Some programs are designed so that you do a total body workout 3 times a week. Other progams are designed so that you work out a body part twice a week (especially when trying to bring up a lagging body part); once heavy, low reps, the next time lighter weight and higher reps. Olympic lifters might be in the gym 5 or 6 days a week, practicing their lifts, shorter, but more intense sessions.

It's a huge topic, Pats, with no one, single right answer. (grin)

Terry,

Thank you so much for the best answer I've ever read to that question.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!! I feel really good with the way both my new diet and new training program are going. I dropped 6 pounds last week and I measure my bodyfat tomorrow. So I think I'll stay with what I'm doing now, but adaptability is a good thing to have in a training program.

I still don't have the "flat" feeling which I know will be creeping up on me. My plan is to switch to T-dawg 2.0 as soon as that happens. I just feel like I really need the self confidence that comes with sticking to the fat fast for at least a couple of weeks. Terry, thank you for the sound advice and constructive criticism, they better give you the poster of the week award for this one.

Ed

Ed, you're doing great! You have a plan and you're working your plan. You also have your Plan B. (grin)

Congrats on that 6 pounds, too!!!!!

Yes, there are lots of options and approaches. The fun part is experimenting and seeing what are body responds to best.

Keep up the good work!!!

Terry (or anyone) could you post the original link to the T-Dawg 2.0 diet? I can't seem to find it although I may have missed the link since there are so many references to it, I can't filter through every single one.

Thanks very much. I need to shake things up a lot and I'm hoping that will do it.

regards
Darcy

[http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/243tdawg2.html
- Moderator]

Darcy, the trick with using the search engine is probably making sure you change the T-forums default to T-mag. (grin)

I also like to use Google to search through the articles. The folowing search would search the T-mag articles (not the board/forum).

site:t-mag.com t-dawg 2.0

If you need any help running the numbers, be sure to let us know. T-Dawg is an awesome diet. It's gotten a lot of people great results without their feeling too terribly deprived.

Thanks TT, and the moderator who so kindly threw in that link. I'll check it out as soon as possible. Beats watching Oprah!

You hit the nail on the head with that comment about not feeling deprived. I'd guess that it's the main reason the best laid plans of mice and T-men get sidetracked. Whatever works. My diet of 12 Detour Bars a day didn't seem to do much (ha ha - joking).