T Nation

Diet and Supps for a Boxer

I am trying to find the right diet and supps for boxing. I need to loose about 15 lbs but I want to maintain my strength. I do about an 1 1/2 to 2 hours of anaerobic exercise 6 days a week. I am having a tuff time loosing my gut and I feel as though I’m loosing more muscle then fat.

I pretty much eat like crap, I don�??t eat alot of greens because I cant stand them and when I try to eat healthy I always feel hungry. I take 30 g of protein in the am with 2 multi vitamins, 30 g protein post workout and 30 g protein at night.

Please I need help; I am willing to be disciplined if I can find the right diet. I look forward to hearing from you all. Thanks

6 days a week of exercise for 2 hours a day is gonna cause most people to go into an overtraining state. Add this to the fact that your diet is self-admittedly crap and you feel like your losing muscle? Bump down the volume on your routine.

Start eating 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight.

-20gram whey protein when you wake up
-15 gram whey protein 10 mins before workout
-20 gram whey protein immediately after workout
-15-20 grams casein whey blend before bedtime
(Metabolic Drive, or cottage cheese will achieve this)

(This whey protein should be mixed with a high GI carb like sucrose, maltodextrin, or dextrose, with the latter two being better choices)

Surge will provide this balance of carbs and protein or you can make the mix yourself.

Get some BCAA’s. (The article here will explain the different dosage protocols)

If you truly have a hard time eating your greens get a greens supplement or the superfood sold here.

I already take a multi v called maximum greens but should I also get the Superfood cause I really don�??t eat any greens at all. my whey protein consist of 24g protein, 5.5g BCAA and 4g glutamine will this suffice? BTW Boxing is a conditioning sport and realy does require that much training.

The thing about multi-vitamins is that vitamins and minerals are absorbed and utilized in the body best in the context of their foods. Eating a balanced diet of fruits and vegetables will always be superior to taking vitamins. Vitamins are more of the bare minimum in my opinions.

You use GO whey protein? That is fine. The guidelines are general for the amount of protein you eat at a given time of day. The actual timing relative to your workout is what is probably more important.

Here is the thing, if you are training and losing muscle something is wrong.

Why not do Aerobic training 3 days a week and anaerobic 3 days a week.

Is the Superfood product superior to multi v’s? Also you are right about the exercise, I do mix it up between anaerobic and aerobic however I probably haven�??t being do that as much as I should. What would you recommend for regular meals? For some reason I actually start to crave sugar and fat.

How can I find a diet that will help me to substitute bad carbs for good carbs and bad fats for good fats? What happens to me is that when I go to bed at night I can�??t sleep cause Im starving, this makes dieting very difficult for me.
btw thanks for all the help so far

I use Gold Standard Whey

[quote]HotCarl28 wrote:
6 days a week of exercise for 2 hours a day is gonna cause most people to go into an overtraining state.[/quote]

Sorry, but this is complete BS. I know many athletes that train in excess of 2 hours a day and are performing quite well.

Granted, they can’t necessarily perform high-intensity weight training the entire time, but that’s not what the OP is talking about.

[quote]HotCarl28 wrote:
-20gram whey protein when you wake up
-15 gram whey protein 10 mins before workout
-20 gram whey protein immediately after workout
-15-20 grams casein whey blend before bedtime
(Metabolic Drive, or cottage cheese will achieve this)

(This whey protein should be mixed with a high GI carb like sucrose, maltodextrin, or dextrose, with the latter two being better choices)[/quote]

There’s no reason why he should have high GI carbs with all of his protein. In fact, I’d recommend against it most of the time. There’s also no reason why he should use straight whey either. I’d rather see him use a blend of whey and casein like in Metabolic Drive throughout the day to get a steady flow of aminos to his muscles. Surge would be great during and after intense training.

[quote]ashrom wrote:
How can I find a diet that will help me to substitute bad carbs for good carbs and bad fats for good fats? What happens to me is that when I go to bed at night I can�??t sleep cause Im starving, this makes dieting very difficult for me.
btw thanks for all the help so far[/quote]

You need plenty of carbs to fuel your training. Don’t let anyone try to tell you otherwise. It’s likely that you’ll perform best with 40 to 50% of your calories from carbs.

If you’re starving at night you haven’t eaten enough throughout the day.

How hard is it to substitute good carbs for bad ones? You’re going to have to put some effort into eating better. I recommend reading the nutritional articles by John Berardi on this site to get started in the right direction.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
HotCarl28 wrote:
6 days a week of exercise for 2 hours a day is gonna cause most people to go into an overtraining state.

Sorry, but this is complete BS. I know many athletes that train in excess of 2 hours a day and are performing quite well.

Granted, they can’t necessarily perform high-intensity weight training the entire time, but that’s not what the OP is talking about.

[/quote]
When he said anaerobic training I assumed he meant weight training. Furthermore the OP says he thinks he is losing muscle.

[quote]
HotCarl28 wrote:
-20gram whey protein when you wake up
-15 gram whey protein 10 mins before workout
-20 gram whey protein immediately after workout
-15-20 grams casein whey blend before bedtime
(Metabolic Drive, or cottage cheese will achieve this)

(This whey protein should be mixed with a high GI carb like sucrose, maltodextrin, or dextrose, with the latter two being better choices)

There’s no reason why he should have high GI carbs with all of his protein. In fact, I’d recommend against it most of the time. There’s also no reason why he should use straight whey either. I’d rather see him use a blend of whey and casein like in Metabolic Drive throughout the day to get a steady flow of aminos to his muscles. Surge would be great during and after intense training.[/quote]

The high GI carbs are meant to be mixed with the whey protein only as I said. This means the only time you are really disagreeing with me is in the morning.

Ok here is what I’m thinking for a diet let me know what you guys think

Morning: bowl oatmeal, 30g gold standard whey protein shake, 1 scoop superfood, triflew sport sup (glucosaminee and chondroitin), omega 3 sup and a multi vite.

Lunch: tuna or chicken, bowl of oatmeal

Pre-workout: 30g gold standard whey protein shake.

Post work out: 30g gold standard whey protein shake, 2 tbls organic peanut butter.

Dinner: chicken, pork or fish and some greens.

Bedtime: bowl of low fat cottage cheese and some fruit.

[quote]ashrom wrote:
Ok here is what I’m thinking for a diet let me know what you guys think

Morning: bowl oatmeal, 30g gold standard whey protein shake, 1 scoop superfood, triflew sport sup (glucosaminee and chondroitin), omega 3 sup and a multi vite.

Lunch: tuna or chicken, bowl of oatmeal

Pre-workout: 30g gold standard whey protein shake.

Post work out: 30g gold standard whey protein shake, 2 tbls organic peanut butter.

Dinner: chicken, pork or fish and some greens.

Bedtime: bowl of low fat cottage cheese and some fruit.
[/quote]

An athlete needs carbs after training to replenish muscle glycogen, so go with Surge PWO. Save the peanut butter for another time.

It would probably be good to get in some carbs before training. Maybe some fruit would work for you.

I’d like to see you eat more food sources of protein and less whey. Whey is a fast digesting protein, so it’s not going to stick with you for very long. Try having eggs with your breakfast instead.

Finally, you’re overall intake seems fairly light even though you don’t indicate quantities. You’re fat intake appears low as well.

When would you add the peanut butter? What types of other protein would you replace the whey with and when? Do you thing I should be eating more fats and if so what kinds?

Yea you definitely need to get high GI carbs in your pre and post workout drinks. You probably wanna avoid large amounts of fats during those times. Also 30g of whey might be a little much. Not that you wont see good results but some of the protein is prolly gonna be wasted. Id just go with the standard 24 gram scoop that the protein comes with.

Other protein sources
fish
chicken
beef
eggs
pork
milk
cottage cheese
casein whey blends