T Nation

Diet Analysis Paralysis

Need help, guys.

I want to start eating above maintenance. At 187, I have a long way to go towards being more muscular–according to a tanita scale, I’m 8%BF right now, which probably means not very much. I’m a FFB, and i’m having a hard time wrapping my head around this eating a shit ton of food thing.

I’ve been looking at various diet programs on here, and reading up on mass gaining things. I have to say that i’m more confused and freaked out that I was before. I’m litterally never over-eaten on purpose to try and gain size. I don’t know what the meal size should be. I don’t know what my p/f/c ratios should look like.

I accomplished the cutting thing with a carb restrictive approach, and it worked really well. But now I’m more carbphobic than anything.

Advice for a first time bulker? Especially a FFB first timer? I should be eating around 3600 kcal per day to gain mass. Should I just take my clean foods, and buy the non “lite” or “lowfat” versions?

It’s not hard. To the extent people make it look hard, it’s to make a buck off of you.

First, keep a food log. (You are doing this, right?) Second, weigh yourself first thing in the morning after a bathroom break. Third, monitor. If you are not gaining weight, add in 300 calories extra during the day. This could be split up in any way you want. If you have not gained weight, add 300 more calories. Keep tracking things until you make progress.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
It’s not hard. To the extent people make it look hard, it’s to make a buck off of you.

First, keep a food log. (You are doing this, right?) Second, weigh yourself first thing in the morning after a bathroom break. Third, monitor. If you are not gaining weight, add in 300 calories extra during the day. This could be split up in any way you want. If you have not gained weight, add 300 more calories. Keep tracking things until you make progress.[/quote]

Alright. I am keeping a food log (fitday.com is helping me with this). I guess it’s just a psychological block about eating a lot. I have no desire to be the 50 pounds heavier I was–unless it’s lean mass.

Should I try to keep it as clean as possible? or is little dirt going to hurt me?

[quote]boyscout wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:

Should I try to keep it as clean as possible? or is little dirt going to hurt me?
[/quote]

Depends if your obviously gaining a lot of fat clean it up. If your doing ok then by all means In reality unless trying to get Uber ripped for contest prep everyone should be able to allow treats from time to time. Be 90% and youll be great

Phill

i’m on meal three today, and 1800 kcal. Jesus. I feel like I can’t eat anymore. to give you an idea: 2300kcal was the max for a work out day on a fat lose, and under 100 carbs.

Today, so far:
1815 kcal
138g protein
146 grams carbs
77 grams fat

Meal 1
4 whole eggs
1 yogurt
1/2cup oatmeal
1 banana
coffee

meal 2
can o’ tuna
1 oz almonds
lots of veggies w/ 1tbsp olive oil and red wine vinegar

meal 3 (post work out)
12 oz. chocolate milk
protein shake (2 scoop whey, 1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium apple (golden delicious…mmmm)

Hey scout.
Totally hear you…i’ve been in the same boat myself.
What i would suggest is basically increasing your carb intake in a slow, clean measured way.

Add the exact same foods every day for 2-3 weeks and measure your progress.

If i were you, i would simply start adding clean carbs into my first 3-4 meals of the day.
Add a piece of fruit to each meal, add some oats or whole grain bread, brown rice…etc.
(of course i would also up your daily protein)

And just keep this in your head:
If something is going wrong, or you are gaining weight that you don’t want. You can fix it!
You already know how to get lean.

And if you are adding certain foods consistently to your daily meals, then you know how those foods are affecting you specifically…and you can in increase them or decrease them based on how you like the results.

Just start testing things out and remember you can always make adjustments.

I assume you are also changing your training to bigger, heavier weights…yadda yadda.

When you were fat were you doing resistance training? Most likely not, and when you do train and overeat your body puts the food to better use than when you were sitting on your ass.

[quote]uberswank wrote:

I guess it’s just a psychological block about eating a lot.

When you were fat were you doing resistance training? Most likely not, and when you do train and overeat your body puts the food to better use than when you were sitting on your ass. [/quote]

True enough.

The remainder of my day:
meal 4
1 chicken breast
1 whole wheat bagel

Meal 5
4oz. lean ground beef
veggies
1 oz. walnutes

Meal 6
shake: 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 scoop chocolate whey, 1 serving natural peanut butter.

Totals:
cals/p/f/c
3247/272/142/224
%: 34/26/40
Probably a bit too high in fats?

[quote]uberswank wrote:
When you were fat were you doing resistance training? Most likely not, and when you do train and overeat your body puts the food to better use than when you were sitting on your ass. [/quote]

Respectfully, i don’t exactly agree with this.

Just because you’re training doesn’t mean it’s ok to overeat. There are plenty of fat people that do regular resistance training.

Doing resistance training doesn’t mean your body will be using all the calories to build muscle.
Will your body be using more of the calories for building muscle than it would if you were sitting on your ass? Well of course.

But that doesn’t mean you won’t put on excess fat.
It also doesn’t mean you are in shape and healthy.

[quote]sven33 wrote:
Will your body be using more of the calories for building muscle than it would if you were sitting on your ass? Well of course.
[/quote]

That’s what I said, to help him get over the psychological block of eating to gain mass. That he won’t become a fat tub of lard overnight again.

[quote]uberswank wrote:
sven33 wrote:

That’s what I said, to help him get over the psychological block of eating to gain mass. That he won’t become a fat tub of lard overnight again.
[/quote]

I’ve started to realize this. Eating is not as bad today. 1990kcal after meal 3. I feel really energetic from the increased carb intake.

I switched to an upper/lower split to shake things up a bit, so I’m training 4 days a week. I’m still keeping carbs at breakfast and around work outs–everything else is P+F meals. We’ll see how things go for a few weeks. I’m able to keep things generally pretty clean, I just need more variety in my protein selection.