T Nation

Diet Advice, Avoiding Milk/Grains?

i consume a fair amount of grains and milk throughout the day. i came across the following dietary article that says they should be avoided. i was wondering if anyone on here subscribes to these principles.

thanks

article:

The formula for optimal health and body composition, in order of importance!

1. Diet

2. High quality and quantity of sleep

3. A strength and conditioning program aimed at enforcing correct movements pattern, increasing strength through major lifts, short intense sprints (if your body allows it), and generally being as active as possible.

We hope to give you some information on improving points 1 and 2, and our training program here at CrossFit Asphodel covers most of part 3. Below we will give some information on diet and some resources for further reading.

Lets give a little more info on diet :slight_smile:

We all know what we are told to eat, low fat, low cholesterol, whole grains, etc etc. This isn’t working for 100’s of millions of people worldwide, and there is now an established base of scientific evidence showing why, and showing what our bodies should want to eat.

Nutrition is often a touchy subject for most people, we are so emotionally attached to our food and have many addictions to foods we probably don’t realise or want to admit to.

At the bottom of this page I will list some resources to check out for information on nutrition, taking an interest in this stuff is vital to make you understand the reasoning behind it and constantly ensuring you are widening your knowledge. I will now put some key points, some will be quite bold statements but I hope these will inspire you to read deeper into these areas.

What do we think you should be eating:

Eat: meat, fowl, seafood, eggs (assuming no autoimmune disease), vegetables, roots, tubers, and bulbs, animal fats & oils, coconut, olive, avocado and red palm oil.

Limit: nut, seed, and fruit (with the exception of coconut, palm, avocados and olives). Berries, lemons and limes are good choices in the fruit category. Macadamias and cashews are good choices in the nut category.

Avoid:all varieties of wheat (spelt, einkorn, emmer, durum), barley, rye, oats, triticale, corn (maize), rice (including wild rice), sorghum, millet, fonio, and teff.
Grain-like substances or pseudocereals to avoid include: Amaranth, Breadnut, Buckwheat, Cattail, Chia, Cockscomb, Kañiwa, Pitseed Goosefoot, Quinoa, and Wattleseed (a.k.a. acacia seed). Pseudocereals are the seeds of broad leaf plants whereas grains are the seeds of grasses.

Avoid or minimize dairy. Fermented options such as cheese and yogurt made from the milk of pastured animals are better options. Heavy cream and butter are typically not problematic but should be avoided by people with autoimmune diseases.

Taken from article by Mathieu Lalonde, Ph.D (Harvard).

A few summary points to get you thinking.

1. There are no essential carbohydrates, yet there are essential fats and proteins.

2. Fat is not bad! With correctly functioning digestion, metabolism and bodily function, fat is your friend. Even saturated fat.

3. Lowering bodyfat, building muscle and ensuring optimum health is somewhat down to reducing systemic inflammation. Whilst not the only part of this, the Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio is a huge part and its important you begin to lower your Omega 6 intake. If you are cooking with corn oil, vegetable oil etc or eating at establishments that use these (nearly all) - I would seriously recommend addressing this.

4. Gluten! Big problem for many people, and bigger problem for people who aren’t aware they have a problem. Cut gluten out of your diet and take a huge step in the right direction.

5. Food quality - you can’t expect your body to look or run like a machine if you aren’t feeding it good fuel. By a machine we mean a correct functioning, problem free body. Unprocessed foods! Copious amounts of vegetables, particularly roots and tubers! High quality meats! (Grass-fed being better).

6. Make wise Carbohydrate choices, and time the consumption of these after workouts. A sweet potato, along with a good portion of protein is the perfect post workout meal. All the ‘carbohydrates are needed for energy’ is a load of waffle, a fat adapted body can function to full capacity and is in a much healthier state.

7. Meal timings - you don’t need to be eating 6-8 times a day, you may hear ‘small meals to keep your metabolism going’ etc etc, this used to be my practice and I was always thinking about food. It’s old hat. Science proves otherwise. I now eat 2-3 good sized, well selected meals a day and rarely feel hungry, free of sugar, your body doesn’t experience the same cravings and requirements it was used to.

8. Cholesterol - it isn’t what it’s made out to be! If I said carbohydrates and sugars were responsible for increasing your risk of cardiovascular disease, might you want to find out more?

9. Globally most medical and nutritional professionals are still giving out information based on flawed, dated and bias research. Do your own research and ask your own questions.

Need Variety??!!

Search for a thread on this site called “Book Wheat Belly” or something like that regarding grains… Also search for another thread called “Should Humans Drink Milk?”.

Those will have pretty much all you’re looking for.