T Nation

Die Fatty DIe Update!

How’s this for a couch potato??

Obese Woman Dies Stuck To Couch

A dramatic rescue ended tragically in Florida Wednesday when a woman died after being stuck to her couch.

Rescuers responded to a call at the Martin County home of a woman who was having trouble breathing.

The difficulty arose when emergency workers failed, after six hours, to dislodge 480-pound Gayle Laverne Grinds, from the couch in her home.

Workers said the home was filthy, and Grinds, 40, was too large to get up from the couch, even to use the bathroom.

Authorities estimate that she had been on the couch anywhere from two to six years. Her skin had grafted to the fabric in the couch.

Rescuers removed a sliding glass door in order to lift the couch, with the woman on it, and load it onto a trailer behind a pickup truck.

She died at Martin Memorial Hospital South, Orlando, still attached to the couch.

A preliminary autopsy on the the four-foot, ten-inch woman lists the cause of death as “morbid obesity.”

Copyright 2004 by NBC5.com.

Jeez, that’s pathetic.

[quote]splkast wrote:
Jeez, that’s pathetic.[/quote]

That’s beyond pathetic. Someone needs to be slapped for that. My only guess is she was trying to commit suicide slowly. Why else would you allow yourself to become so inactive and obese that you become grafted to the couch? That takes “couch potato” to a whole new level. I was going to eat this hamburger until I read this.

F’uck it, I really don’t care enough to go without a meal.

lmfao! That is too funny (gross, but funny).

Before I started working out I liked to call myself a couch potato, but holy shit, that is pathetic. What a waste of a life.

Now dont you think that people that get that huge have SOME kind of genetic disorder? I mean we’ve all seen a guy get to be say, 350lbs of fat, and still eat his ass off, but never really get much heavier. But, then you see a guy get to be 1,000lbs and really not eat much more than normal. Whats the deal?

[quote]CoachMorris wrote:
Now dont you think that people that get that huge have SOME kind of genetic disorder? I mean we’ve all seen a guy get to be say, 350lbs of fat, and still eat his ass off, but never really get much heavier. But, then you see a guy get to be 1,000lbs and really not eat much more than normal. Whats the deal?
[/quote]

Very few people on the planet have metabolic disorders that have led to that kind of weight gain. Some may have slow metabolisms, but you don’t get to 300+lbs by accident. If you could see the way some of these people eat on a regular basis, you would understand. Many are compulsive with their eating habits. They can eat a loaf of bread in one sitting and a carton of eggs. They sit at a table and eat a whole cake or a whole bucket of icecream. That is how they got that heavy. These people aren’t eating chicken breasts and oatmeal and gaining fat by the second. Many will often deny their eating habits as well because they usually do this alone as a comfort for depression or anxiety. It isn’t like bodybuilding is without those who are obsessed. The same effort some bodybuilders put into stuffing down more than 6-8,000cals a day and waking in the middle of the night for a meal is the same effort these people put into stuffing their faces…they simply don’t do anything with the extra calories. Their diets include periods of starvation which only causes them to gain even more fat back. The bottom line is the lack of exercise here. In today’s world, the information involving exercise is too abundant for the excuse that they simply didn’t know that going to a gym would help. Their reasons for not going may include being embarrassed, but let’s not pretend as if they truly think that the key is to not eat for a couple of days (aside from grapefruit) and then return to eating Twinkies next week. You can only allow to much sympathy before you realize that if they have the power in their own hands to make a change, it is their fault for not stepping up to the plate. If you allow this, every kid who flunks out of high school should also be afforded the same sympathy and hand-holding. Let’s not stop at the obese people here. There are tons of people willing to sue McDonald’s because they wasted coffee in their own laps or because they got fat. They should all be sympathized with and nurtured into the fold.

Coach:

I think that there are SOME with genetic/Endocrine issues…but as you know, that’s the exception, not the rule…

Most likely what separates the Obese from the Mobidly Obese is the lack of “yo-yo” cycles. The “average” obese person will have cycles in their their life of losing sometimes large amounts of weight, only to regain it…

The Morbidly Obese (500 pounds plus) often either have not had those cycles OR when they did, the weight loss was comparatively small. The weight simply piles on in a more linear fashion than with the “yo-yoer”…

Mufasa

I saw a show on morbid obesity once. The guy they interviewed said he didn’t eat very much despite being over 400 pounds. When they tracked him they found that he didn’t eat very much until dinner where he consumed 8,000 calories on the average. A large pizza and a gallon of milk were not out of the ordinary.

IVE Seen a few of these huge fatties… I wonder…where do they get the money to buy all that stuff they stuff in their face for so long??? any ideas??? for most of them its impossable to work,then there is the food shopping…some else has to be off their rocker to get it all for them and let them eat their self to death, i never hear about any “family members” mentioned in those reports, but somebody has to have some $$$$$$ for them i would think… or a hell of alot of foodstamps…

[quote]BIG ROCK wrote:
IVE Seen a few of these huge fatties… I wonder…where do they get the money to buy all that stuff they stuff in their face for so long??? any ideas??? for most of them its impossable to work,then there is the food shopping…some else has to be off their rocker to get it all for them and let them eat their self to death, i never hear about any “family members” mentioned in those reports, but somebody has to have some $$$$$$ for them i would think… or a hell of alot of foodstamps…[/quote]

The woman who was attached to the sofa had a live-in roommate. Obviously, he was feeding her or she would have died months or years ago. Many times, either the spouse or the children take care of the morbidly obese. Jerry Springer had one show where the wife cooked her bed-ridden obese husband a dozen eggs at a time, scrambled. She would stop off after work for Kentucky Fried Chicken or make several stops if he had a taste for chicken, tacos AND hambugers. Mind you, he used to play football in college and was never obese until he graduated and slowly kept over-feeding himself. There goes the “metabolic disease excuse”. Very rarely do these people honestly eat small amounts. Fat isn’t magic. There has to be more going in than is used for the fat to be deposited. The issues hitting us now come from many trying to blame everything and everyone else for why they are fat. I personally don’t think BurgerKing commercials are to blame when someone hits 500lbs.

Just to add to what X said…

Family and/or loved ones are usually the enablers…also, morbid obesity qualifies one for disablility…

Mufasa

And let me make this point before some tool states “How can you love someone and let them get this way?”

1. When we love someone we enable a LOT of behaviors…and love can often cloud our better judgement…

2)I don’t speak for Chris…but just knowing his writing style over the years, this is one (among a few) post meant as “tough Love” or a “swift kick in the ass” for the Obese…NOT a “free ticket” to justify some of the hate-filled diatribes I’ve read…

There is NO WAY IN HELL that with the hundreds of posters on this site that you all have beautiful, buffed and ripped mothers, fathers, sons, daughters and Loved ones…check yourself and look in the eyes of that obese person you love the next time you want to refer to them as “they” or want “them” all to die…

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Just to add to what X said…

Family and/or loved ones are usually the enablers…also, morbid obesity qualifies one for disablility…

Mufasa[/quote]

The problem with qualifying them for disability is that now they have no need to change. This is what I was talking about in an earlier post:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=63FABBE65180A68558A167EF00FC6D7B.ba13?id=491378

as long these people are considered disabled or handicapped, society as a whole becomes their enabler. That is not being mean or hateful, it is being truthful. The electric mini-cart is the worst invention since High Fructose Corn Syrup. The mini-cart was designed originally for the elderly. When they realized can’t afford their medicine much less a cart they went to “fat” market. Now these people don’t even get the exercise of walking down the food aisles and any last chance of physical movement is gone. Now you can watch a 250-300 lb’er hit 500 or 600 pounds. And for that, they get a disbility check and a full time vacation.

I don’t disagree…

Society enables a lot of questionable things…

Mufasa

this kinda reminds me of that movie seven, with brad pitt and morgan freeman. remember the scene where kevin spacey’s character tied the fat guy to the chair and made him eat spaghetti and meatballs until his stomach exploded!
the crazy thing about that scene, is when I saw that movie I remember saying to myself, what kinda sick bastard could fathom that happening, it seemed so wacky, that it could only happen in hollywood. this story even sounds like it could of came out of the movie seven.
her skin grafted to the couch! what kinda fucked up bullshit is that. you can’t tell me that these people are not seriously psychologically disturbed.

p.s. how did this broad go to the bathroom?

Obviously…on the couch. It isn;t like we are talking about someone who decorated using Martha Stewart as a role model. I am sure bed sores are the reason she was grafted to the couch (healing and rehealing over the fibers in the couch), and unless she had a bed pan under a hole cut in the couch, she took a s’hit on herself. Worse than that is anyone who would enable her to continue like that.

Yet you hear of people dying of DVT in as little as 10 hours of sitting down?

God, why couldn’t you have taken her sooner?

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

1. When we love someone we enable a LOT of behaviors…and love can often cloud our better judgement…[/quote]

There’s a difficult question there about freedom. On the one hand, we want the best for our loved ones. On the other hand, they deserve the freedom to make their own choices.

So when our loved ones want to eat crap, what is our responsibility? Should we lecture them on how wrong they are to eat crap, or refuse to provide them with crap, or actively take the crap away from them? Where do we draw the line? If your loved ones are too heavy and out of shape, and you’d like to see their body composition and overall health improve, how far should you go in encouraging this? When exactly do we go over the line and become just plain assholes?

[quote]CDarklock wrote:
When exactly do we go over the line and become just plain assholes?
[/quote]

…The moment we believe that we can think for someone else. We can make suggestions, but it isn’t our place to tell someone else what to do unless they are our children. In my experience, family members are the last to listen to advice on diet and training. They will believe what Dr. Phil says before they would listen to a family member even if they were a doctor or a personal trainer. People don’t and won’t change unless they want to. You can have all of the information in the world available and it will do them no good unless they want to hear it. Bottom line, that means work on yourself. If that inspires them to do something about themselves, then great. If watching you only makes those around you try to degrade the effort you put forth, Let it go. The only person you can truly change is yourself.

It’s funny everyone brings up “enabling” for loved ones. I see this in my own home, I take care of my mom, many she had a kidney transplant almost 7 years ago, takes all sorts of wonderful pills, has diabetes due to anti rejection medication, needs a new knee, again due to osteoperosis from drugs. I have watched her deterioate due to my 2 sisters and dad treating her like a porcilin doll. After the transplant it was a miricle I had my mom back, she cleaned, cooked, and excersised, in fact she asked me for some simple dumbell excersises, she enjoyed walking and my mom and dad would walk at Castle Island everyday. The doctors put a kibosh on that and scared my family into thinking my mom would have an “episode” or get sick again from too much stress. I fought it as much as I could, and unforetunatly failed. Now my mother needs a wheelchair to get around, the weights are dusty from unuse, and she doesn’t cook anymore, and it’s real sad to see. I wanted to post this earlier in here, because I wanted to argue yes my mom is overweight but it is due to the medication she takes (belive me when I say she eats better than most pro body builders) I just couldn’t find the right words.