T Nation

Didn't Know...

I went to check out a new gym in town. It is a big gym n that it formerly housed a supermarket. Upon asking the trainer at the desk if he had a reverse hyper and a glut ham machine I was insulted. He asked if I meant a leg curl and had no idea of what I was talking about. I then attempted to demonstate what they do and what it looks like but I should have been speaking Greek. I walked out sad and angry. With all that space, a gym can’t even cut back on 1 inner thigh machine that probably costs 4 grand for some useful stuff. Pathetic, if I had the money I would start my own gym.

Wouldn’t we all, bro. Wouldn’t we all.

A sad reminder that what’s useful is rarely the same as what’s popular.

[quote]Navin Johnson wrote:
I went to check out a new gym in town. It is a big gym n that it formerly housed a supermarket. Upon asking the trainer at the desk if he had a reverse hyper and a glut ham machine I was insulted. He asked if I meant a leg curl and had no idea of what I was talking about. I then attempted to demonstate what they do and what it looks like but I should have been speaking Greek. I walked out sad and angry. With all that space, a gym can’t even cut back on 1 inner thigh maching that probably costs 4 grand for some useful stuff. Pathetic, if I had the money I would start my own gym. [/quote]

Navin,

I feel sorry for you but don’t be angry. Forgive them.

Regards to the trainer, well, a lot of people don’t know what they are doing in work these days, fitness industry is not the only one of them.

I studied a fitness instuction cert. here in NZ, they didn’t even teach me how to write training programme for endurance, “because it is not common to have people training for endurance in a gym these days”. The gym they use for teaching, also where Tall Blacks and Tall Ferns (NZ Men and Women Basketball, repectively) do their training sometimes, DO NOT have GHR and Reverse Hyper. Well, at least they teach and let me deadlift and squat there.

This is what you would call Pathetic.

Geek boy

Salespeople told our school gyms administrators that GHRs are dangerous and people frequently get hurt on them.

Annoying.

same thing happened to me. My local Gold’s is pretty big, it used to be a different local gym so it isn’t a cookie cutter type. Anyway, they have lots of weight machines, but mostly many of the same type. I asked about a reverse hyper and ghr and they said “you want MORE machines?!, you can’t make do with what we have?” I said, in that case all you need is a power rack. They finally wrote my request down but I’m not holding my breath for any action on it. Ridiculous since those are some of the cheaper equipment, yet I’m sure if I requested more treadmills - $5000 they would be happy to tell the owner.

ggrrrr.

[quote]Jersey5150 wrote:
Salespeople told our school gyms administrators that GHRs are dangerous and people frequently get hurt on them.

Annoying.[/quote]

Did the Salespeople also say deadlift and squat hurt people’s back and the school is better off with more machines???

Geek boy

the thing was this guy was kind of on the big side but he was the stereotypical dumb jock, personal trainer. If they did have a GHR and reverse hyper it would make the butt blaster and all that crap obsolete. It seems as though it is the exercise equipment companies calling the shots. There should be local support groups for guys like me. Not saying I squat a grand but with this and the fact that my current gym played “Careless Whisper” by Wham today makes my testicles want to crawl up inside of my body.