T Nation

Did Your Dad Lift?

If so what were his stats?

Mine never lol

Think so.

Don’t know. Like 6’2 and broad. Maybe 250-260ish possibly heavier now. Not lean but wasn’t fat either from what I remember.

The only thing I know that he ever did in the gym was curls.

But he also did heavy farm and construction work off and on for a decade or so, stuff like bailing hay, framing houses, manhandling wooden telephone poles, etc.

5’11 and 170-180 when younger, 160s when older.

From what I know.

Smoked 3 packs a day and a ton of weed no lifting, he did buy me my first weight set

Not even once

My daddy was 5’7 and a ninja. Judo black belt and TKD blackbelt. Was extremely lean single digit body fat like 135 lbs in his late teens and 20s. Kinda similar to Bruce Lee. Anyways hits his 30s and gets depressed starts lifting puts on like 35 lbs of mostly muscle heaviest he ever was was 170 which isn’t that small for a 5’7 guy and its even bigger if you consider the fact that he was mostly an upper body guy. It used to drive me crazy when I started lifting and we would lift together, he would make me look so weak.

My dad was huge, heavily muscled from manual labor. He worked with his dad doing dock and bulkhead building, which is tough work. He went into the service, did his hitch came out and worked for Grumman Aircraft. He worked in the hammer department, meaning that they did a lot of hand-forming of airplane parts. Sort of like a blacksmith without the fire.

He was 5’10" and went about 220, not much fat either. He retired at 60 and stayed in decent shape until he hit 70, from there it was all downhill. He met my stepmother… the 2 of them basically hung out in Florida running from AC to AC. Both of them did zero exercise at all.

My dad was a football coach. I saw him lift exactly once. Managed to bench 135.

He didn’t need to. Carpenter by trade, farmer by inclination. Grip like steel, could drop kick a bag of wheat over the Murray.

My dad lost both legs in Veitnam, but stayed around 240, without much of a gut. Never lifted, but built hundreds of yards stone walls around our properties, using some stones that weighed an estimated 1500+ pounds. Used nothing but his arms, a pry bar, and pieces of 4x4 for cribbing. I’ll try to remember to take a few pictures.

He’s 63, and I don’t know his stats but I’ve got 17 inch arms cold and they look girly next to his. He stills blitzes up and down the stairs on his arms a few times a day.

I don’t think anyone in my family has ever lifted so it’s just me!

Don’t think my dad ever lifted. But he spent his 20’s and 30’s hauling around propane bottles and had insanely muscled and strong arms. I remember when I and a friend were changing the brakes on my car and we could not get a bolt unstuck even when standing on a cheater bar and when my dad stopped by to see how we were doing he grabbed the bar with one hand and loosened the bolt like it was nothing.

Both my father and my grand father were big strong guys. Both played football in college. I remember the first time I realized how strong my dad was: I saw him put a cargo strap around a refrigerator, put the loop over his forehead, hoist the fridge onto his back and proceeded to walk up two flights of steps… We used to arm wrestle on my birthday every year - I finally beat him when I was 23 (I probably could have beaten him earlier, but I was in prison for a few years before that). He was PISSED! LOL

when my older brother came home with a concrete and plastic weight set from Sears, my Pop came out and lifted with me and my brother once.

that was it.

btw - that weight set started me on a lifelong obsession with physical perfection which I have still not attained…

And… my brother stopped lifting, none of my brothers lifted - I am alone in the family with this obsession, and have yet to be understood by them.

(sigh)

My father used to lift most days. They were the old style concrete filled plastic weights.

he didn’t even lift.

he grew up in greece in the 70s, pretty sure they didn’t have many weights where he lived.

Yes. He was my first big influence.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
My dad lost both legs in Veitnam, but stayed around 240, without much of a gut. Never lifted, but built hundreds of yards stone walls around our properties, using some stones that weighed an estimated 1500+ pounds. Used nothing but his arms, a pry bar, and pieces of 4x4 for cribbing. I’ll try to remember to take a few pictures.

He’s 63, and I don’t know his stats but I’ve got 17 inch arms cold and they look girly next to his. He stills blitzes up and down the stairs on his arms a few times a day. [/quote]

Fucking heroic!
I salute your Pop!

My dad started lifting a couple months ago. He’s 65. Got his first 225 deadlift a few days ago. He’s 6’2, about 190.