Did You Buy or Make Your Sled?

I think I am ready to start some sled dragging and GPP work. I was just wondering what you thought(those that have built sleds) would make the best sled materials would be. Thanks in advance.

I was also thinking about the same thing…

There have been quite a few topics on this already. Of those who’ve made sleds, it seems like a knowing or being a welder is a must (unless you’re using it for really light weights, then PVC will do the trick). Unfortunately for me, I don’t know any welders nor do I know how to weld. However, I’m fortunate enough to belong to a gym that has a sled.

[quote]Bigpull wrote:
I think I am ready to start some sled dragging and GPP work. I was just wondering what you thought(those that have built sleds) would make the best sled materials would be. Thanks in advance. [/quote]

Made mine. My brother can weld.

You can make one out of an old tire not as nice as steel but hey it still kicks your butt.

I’v made a few sleds. If your welding your own make sure you have a design that evenly distrubuts the weight over the entire portion of the sled that is contacting the gound. This will make sure that the bottom of the sled will were evenly and not just in the spot where the weight is putting the most force.

I made my own and I didn’t need to weld anything. I used an old board about 3 feet long (didnt want to cut it) a couple 2x4s, and a pipe or something and a base it will screw into, in the plumbing aisle of Home Depot. Screwed 3 2x4s to the board, screwed the base for the pipe onto the middle 2x4, and screwed the pipe into that.

I use a tow strap to pull it. Cost me like $30 to build but $20 was for the tow strap, I couldv’e used rope or looked for an old strap to cut cost down. I built it less than 10 minutes. I’ll post a picture when I figure out how.

I don’t use Olympic plates on it, I use plates with a 1-inch opening (smaller than regular gym O plates).

I made my own sled , by taking some sort of army duffle bag and a rope attached to it . I put my sandband in it and i am done… but i can only use it on turf or snow not on asphalt, were it would probably not last too long .

it costed me about 20 bucks…And it works like hell …

PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY .

wrestler and daking,

How much weight will your sleds hold? I’m thinking that 300+ pounds would wear either of those out rather quickly.

[quote]magnetnerd wrote:
wrestler and daking,

How much weight will your sleds hold? I’m thinking that 300+ pounds would wear either of those out rather quickly.[/quote]

I’m thinking that 300+ pounds would wear anyone pulling that much, out pretty quickly.

But anyway, I’m definitly interested in this also. Any pictures would be greatly appreciated of a home made sled.

I made a sled from a old tire. Here is the page I got the idea from. The sled is about halfway down.

home.comcast.net/~joandbryce/makestuff.html

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

I’m thinking that 300+ pounds would wear anyone pulling that much, out pretty quickly.

[/quote]

And you’re absolutely correct. Short distances, big weight. Strongman training…

[quote]magnetnerd wrote:
wrestler and daking,

How much weight will your sleds hold? I’m thinking that 300+ pounds would wear either of those out rather quickly.[/quote]

Mine can hold about 180 pounds for sure. Never tried more .

My sled holds as much weight as I put on it. Actually I don’t know how much, I drag it on grass so I’m not that concerned about it wearing down yet. When it wears down, I promise I’ll learn to weld and build a badass, T-Nation sled.

if you go to Iron Addicts website there is a plan of how to make a sled - as well as a lot of other good info!

Find a scrap piece of metal that is flat and long/wide enough to put a keg or 2 on. Drill a hole or 2 and your good to go. Attach a chain or rope. If you want weights get a 2 inch pipe and put it in the middle of the plates. It doesn’t need to be welded. At the Chicago’s Strongest Man we had 750 lbs on it and it didn’t fall off. I fell over twice but, none of the weight came off.

I am like a lot of people. I think things need to be more complicated then they are.

Patrick

I got mine from a butcher shop in smalltown AB. It’s a good size. Holds lots and lots of weight. Pulling the weight is a different story however… It’s original use was to pull big game out of the forest while hunting so you didn’t ruin the meat by dragging it on the ground or hacking it up. I just put sandbags in it instead and add/subtract as needed… or an elk. That always gives a good workout…

I’d say to stick with the above posts though. It’s cheaper and somewhat easy. My sled cost $150.

Keep on Rockin’ in the Free World.

[quote]PGH wrote:
Find a scrap piece of metal that is flat and long/wide enough to put a keg or 2 on. Drill a hole or 2 and your good to go. Attach a chain or rope. If you want weights get a 2 inch pipe and put it in the middle of the plates. It doesn’t need to be welded. At the Chicago’s Strongest Man we had 750 lbs on it and it didn’t fall off. I fell over twice but, none of the weight came off.

I am like a lot of people. I think things need to be more complicated then they are.

Patrick
[/quote]

I can’t believe it never occured to me that the pipe in the middle didn’t need to be welded. Thanks.

I got a wheelbarrow and just use the bucket part of it without the wheel or handles attached. Attached some rope with clips to hook to a weight belt or use as handles. I load it with sandbags. It works very well on grass.

Made it. My fiend has a welder. I went to a local iron works, got a sheet of metal about 2 feet square. They bent up the front part for me. We welded a pipe (any size less than 2 inch diam. will do) to the center, for weight plates. We added two small strips of angle iron to the upper surface of the base-plate to allow you to get your fingers under the weight plates when (un)loading. We drilled a hole in each corner of the angled base-plate to attach chains. Finally, I went to Lowes for chains and clips. Being as I’m a wimp, I also bought some PVC tubing to go around the chain to stop it cutting into me when I’m pulling heavy weights.

It’s not pretty, but strangely, that doesn’t seem to affect how hard it is to pull. :slight_smile:

I’ll attach a picture. Hopefully, the size is small enough for it to come through. :slight_smile:

If you want better shots - pm me with an email address and I’ll send a few more.

WiZlon

I found a tire on the side of the road, drilled a hole in it and put a hook through. This + rope and an old lifting belt = some serious sled dragging for pretty much nothing!