T Nation

Did Steroids Make Me Paranoid?

Hey everyone,

Finished my steroid cycle one week early, which was last week.
Was on Sustanon 250, injecting EOD, averaging 525mg a week.
Was going to be a 10 week cycle, stopped at week 9.

The reason why I stopped, is as follows;

The night prior to me stopping (was a result of me stopping) ‘apparently’ I jumped in my sleep, causing my gf to jump, her jumping woke me up. I woke up facing my girlfriend, my arm was around her, her back was facing me. I thought she was staring at someone in my room (don’t know why). I can’t really remember what happened next, I think I tried to pick her up and throw her out of my way, regardless, she ended up at the opposite end of my bed with bruises all over her arms.

I was freaking out and I swore someone was in my room.

Long story short, for the past week and a half, I’ve been extremely paranoid despite no longer taking any gear. I’m scared of sleeping now. I’m not normally the scared type, I am not normally scared of anything. The feeling is similar to when you’re a kid, and you watch a scary movie, and you’re too scared to sleep fearing someone will come attack you. Except it’s 10x worse. I also notice I’m paranoid at certain times of the day after this event also.

I’ve actually had this happen BEFORE steroids. I have woken up and attacked people in my room thinking they were trying to kill me, when instead they were just someone coming in to wake me up. But the effects normally never lasted this long. Normally after I calm down from one of these episodes (they can last a few minutes), I fall back to sleep and am 100%.

I feel I should see a doctor about this, but I don’t want them to say ‘oh it’s just because of steroids, that’s the only reason’. So I wanted to ask here first, has anyone experienced anything like this while on gear? Could this event be a result of gear or just a mere coincidence?

Thanks in advance.

[quote]Aeon wrote:

I’ve actually had this happen BEFORE steroids.

[/quote]

So basically you’re asking us a question that you already have the answer to.

See a doctor
quit making stupid threads that will show up on google search results contributing to more propaganda
???
profit

[quote]Aeon wrote:

I’ve actually had this happen BEFORE steroids. I have woken up and attacked people in my room thinking they were trying to kill me, when instead they were just someone coming in to wake me up.

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

/thread?

[quote]putter2712 wrote:

[quote]Aeon wrote:

I’ve actually had this happen BEFORE steroids. I have woken up and attacked people in my room thinking they were trying to kill me, when instead they were just someone coming in to wake me up.

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

/thread?[/quote]

I stated that it was far more severe while on steroids.
It’s happened about 5 - 7 times in 4 years and I’ve only used steroids this once.
Except this time, after it happening on steroids, I’m now too scared to go to bed at night and have been like this for a week and a half. Whereas previously, I’d be over and done with it within 15 minutes of it happening.

[quote]Aeon wrote:

[quote]putter2712 wrote:

[quote]Aeon wrote:

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

/thread?[/quote]

I stated that it was far more severe while on steroids.
It’s happened about 5 - 7 times in 4 years and I’ve only used steroids this once.
Except this time, after it happening on steroids, I’m now too scared to go to bed at night and have been like this for a week and a half. Whereas previously, I’d be over and done with it within 15 minutes of it happening.

[/quote]

I think its a combination of diminishing levels of androgen in your blood which is causing you to become anxious (I get anxiety on gear sometimes), along with some mental placebo affect linking it to the steroids.

I’m just finishing up a test/deca cycle now, and last night I had a dream that I had 4 testicles instead of 2, as a side effect of my cycle, and then suddenly I had like 8 balls, then 12, etc. and no one would help me. Then I woke up and realized it was only a dream. It’s the first time steroids have been in my dreams.

[quote]Singhbuilder wrote:
I think its a combination of diminishing levels of androgen in your blood which is causing you to become anxious (I get anxiety on gear sometimes), along with some mental placebo affect linking it to the steroids. [/quote]

Thank you for a serious response, I never considered it to be the steroids until my GF pointed it out. Then I thought maybe I’ll look into it and figured, who better to ask than people who have taken countless cycles on this board, and have also seen countless of side effects on themselves and others.

To the idiots mocking this thread, you are truly ignorant. Not everyone has flawless cycles. I looked it up on google before posting and saw ‘paranoia’ to be a side effect of steroids. So I came here to confirm. It’s obvious these chemicals can have an impact mentally, doesn’t have to be directly either, as to whether this was a side effect or not, I have no idea, hence why I posted.

Yes I said I had that happen before steroids, I also said it was worse on steroids, whether it’s a coincidence or not, I don’t know. But you’d have to be mentally retarded to not CONSIDER it, again, hence why I posted. I’m not saying ‘steroids are bad and gave me side effects’, with or without it being a side effect, I’d still willingly do a second cycle but I wouldn’t sleep in the same bed as another person if I can expect this.

So, to you smart asses, all you’re really doing is making your low IQ recognised on this board. Maybe my question was stupid, but I learn from it, you on the other hand, cannot cure your ignorance and inability to think outside the box until you realise you are actually very unintelligent.

[quote]Aeon wrote:
I woke up facing my girlfriend, my arm was around her, her back was facing me. I thought she was staring at someone in my room (don’t know why). I can’t really remember what happened next, I think I tried to pick her up and throw her out of my way, regardless, she ended up at the opposite end of my bed with bruises all over her arms.

[/quote]

Three paragraphs of excuses and a barrage of intelligence quotient presumptions. I’ll have to remember this so I can use it as an EXCUSE to beat my old lady. You’re awesome.

And thanks for doing the ‘quick google-search’ research, but I think we all already know that paranoia is one of the most commonly reported side-effects of steroid use. We’ve all seen the Ben Affleck special.

I had a dream last night I was taking steroids with Jethro Tull. True story.

[quote]Aeon wrote:

[quote]Singhbuilder wrote:
I think its a combination of diminishing levels of androgen in your blood which is causing you to become anxious (I get anxiety on gear sometimes), along with some mental placebo affect linking it to the steroids. [/quote]

Thank you for a serious response, I never considered it to be the steroids until my GF pointed it out. Then I thought maybe I’ll look into it and figured, who better to ask than people who have taken countless cycles on this board, and have also seen countless of side effects on themselves and others.

To the idiots mocking this thread, you are truly ignorant. Not everyone has flawless cycles. I looked it up on google before posting and saw ‘paranoia’ to be a side effect of steroids. So I came here to confirm. It’s obvious these chemicals can have an impact mentally, doesn’t have to be directly either, as to whether this was a side effect or not, I have no idea, hence why I posted.

Yes I said I had that happen before steroids, I also said it was worse on steroids, whether it’s a coincidence or not, I don’t know. But you’d have to be mentally retarded to not CONSIDER it, again, hence why I posted. I’m not saying ‘steroids are bad and gave me side effects’, with or without it being a side effect, I’d still willingly do a second cycle but I wouldn’t sleep in the same bed as another person if I can expect this.

So, to you smart asses, all you’re really doing is making your low IQ recognised on this board. Maybe my question was stupid, but I learn from it, you on the other hand, cannot cure your ignorance and inability to think outside the box until you realise you are actually very unintelligent.[/quote]

lol we’re all stupid, yet you come here to ask US about what is going on in YOUR head…I dont think any of us know you, you have had anxiety in the past, it happened again (to a greater degree while you are on steriods), but we are supposed to come up with a different answer? Some people post her just to increase their post count, it seems.

I may be one of them.

OP, how old are you? Serious question, not being an ass.

maybe try some GABA or something.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
lol we’re all stupid, yet you come here to ask US about what is going on in YOUR head…I dont think any of us know you, you have had anxiety in the past, it happened again (to a greater degree while you are on steriods), but we are supposed to come up with a different answer? Some people post her just to increase their post count, it seems.

I may be one of them.[/quote]

I never said you’re all stupid, I came here because I know there are a lot of intelligent and knowledgeable members here. I said that the posters making a mockery of this thread are ignorant. Twisting my words doesn’t benefit anyone, everyone can see it written in front of them that I was specifically referring to some of the people in my thread. If I thought you were all stupid, then I’d have no reason to post here.

The reply from Bushidobadboy was exactly the sort of answer I was looking for. He gave me an explanation, first hand experience, and a possible solution. So I’m not sure what your problem is. If you don’t possess the knowledge to answer my question, then don’t make a negative post.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
There’s your partial answer. You have a predisposition towards night terrors (or whatever you want to call them). Unfortunately, supraphysiological doses of androgens will potantiate the nervous system, leading to shallower sleep, inability to fall asleep and early waking.

Some have it worse than others. I remeber my first cycle was bad in this respect. Tren cycles always ruin my sleep too.

So IMO, there’s your answer. A not uncommon collision between ‘natural tendancy’ and ‘performance enhancement’.

I would personally look into calming nootropics (bacopa, phosphatidylserine, inositol) to augment the sleep that you do get.

BBB[/quote]

Thank you, I’ll look into those nootropics that you suggested!

i do stupid shit in my sleep all the time dont worry bout it,ive killed my dog in my sleep,

You have history of paranoia prior to starting steroids. Steroids affect sleep which increases paranoia. Steroids increase testosterone which increases impulsiveness and aggression. I’m a psychiatric nurse and have treated many men with mild pre-existent mental illness who become severely ill following steroids use. Its not solely the steroids fault but usually due to pre-existing problems, similar to drugs use would (crack, amphetamines).

Paranoia is a very dangerous symptom as you may believe you are imminently about to be attacked and will fight to the death. Add in increased aggression and impulsiveness with a strong weight training person and your on the way to prison or psychiatric hospital. Nootropic drugs will make it worse as you will be thinking more. See a doctor for neuroleptics and give up steroid use as it will always return once its started.

I have considered starting steroids myself but I have anger management issues and paranoia from past drug use and need to stay natural to remain stable. Prison and courts are full of meatheads with domestic violence. Media is full of murders where steroids are implicated.

[quote]AndyN wrote:
You have history of paranoia prior to starting steroids. Steroids affect sleep which increases paranoia. Steroids increase testosterone which increases impulsiveness and aggression. I’m a psychiatric nurse and have treated many men with mild pre-existent mental illness who become severely ill following steroids use. Its not solely the steroids fault but usually due to pre-existing problems, similar to drugs use would (crack, amphetamines).

Paranoia is a very dangerous symptom as you may believe you are imminently about to be attacked and will fight to the death. Add in increased aggression and impulsiveness with a strong weight training person and your on the way to prison or psychiatric hospital. Nootropic drugs will make it worse as you will be thinking more. See a doctor for neuroleptics and give up steroid use as it will always return once its started.

I have considered starting steroids myself but I have anger management issues and paranoia from past drug use and need to stay natural to remain stable. Prison and courts are full of meatheads with domestic violence. Media is full of murders where steroids are implicated.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2295588[/quote]

Yada yad yada yada…typical media propaganda bullshit

I know for a fact that I was a much more violent and aggressive person while my hormones were crashing BEFORE testosterone replacement therapy…I was a moody bitch and hated life…since starting T, I have never felt better.

I agree with VTBalla… Before I was diagnosed with low T, and treated myself (since I was refused treatment due to age) I had far more mood swings, I was very depressed, and could go from ready to kill, to crying, to happy in a period of a few hours.

I feel much more stable while on, however tren does seem to make my paranoia (which I also had before using AAS) significantly worse, but its nothing that cannot be controlled. That is probably the case with you too, you just have to realize it and take control. There is no excuse for actually attacking people, although I will openly admit I have came really fucking close on more than one occasion.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
I know for a fact that I was a much more violent and aggressive person while my hormones were crashing BEFORE testosterone replacement therapy…I was a moody bitch and hated life…since starting T, I have never felt better. [/quote]

Same here. Now that I have test in body again I just laugh at things that would enrage me before HRT.

[quote]AndyN wrote:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2295588[/quote]

Thats nice.

You kind of almost have some good points, but still have some research to do. Start with learning the difference between steroids and testosterone.