T Nation

Did My First Squat!

…after hip replacement (four months out). It was an empty Oly bar, but it was legit. I feel on top of the world. Just six months ago, I could only walk a click, and used a cane for support.

I expect that heavy deads and squats are a thing of the past for me, but there is lots of other stuff (including the leg ext/leg curl machines I used to sneer at). Now I just need to find a butt exercise to complement back extension. Any ideas?

tqb

Congrats! That’s just great. Keep fighting, keep lifting!

Kiitos, Schmidt

That is awesome! Congrats!

try kettlebell swings for the glutes

And do 5/3/1 or we’ll kill and eat you

Ah, 5/3/1, the fad of the year, and kettlebells, the fad of last year;-). In my day we wore short silky shorts and high tube socks. And we screamed when we lifted. T-shirt? Singlets!

So if you want a bite, remember: Age and treachery…

Shorts with tube socks is out?? No one told me. Damn it.

Congratulations TQB. Coming off a recent injury and surgery myself, I can fully relate with the euphoria of being able to lift again.

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
Shorts with tube socks is out?? No one told me. Damn it.[/quote]

:wink:

Careful what you wish for, TQB, this place is full of age and treachery. Congrats on the lift, I wish you a speedy recovery.

Yes…congrats getting back under the bar. 'Bout to announce my return from surgery as well. Rehab sucks!

are you able to do one legged exercises? or even squats without a bar say holding some light weights at your side or even using a trap bar? If you are able start by conditioning your body first. I would also if i were you add a routine of stretching for the hips, hip flexors and the glutes.

If your lucky your gym will have a ham-glute machine, this will work your glutes hamstrings, lower back and calves. I really wish your gym has one but its not likely.
anyway,
good luck

[quote]silee wrote:
are you able to do one legged exercises? or even squats without a bar say holding some light weights at your side or even using a trap bar? If you are able start by conditioning your body first. I would also if i were you add a routine of stretching for the hips, hip flexors and the glutes.

If your lucky your gym will have a ham-glute machine, this will work your glutes hamstrings, lower back and calves. I really wish your gym has one but its not likely.
anyway,
good luck [/quote]

Thanks for the suggestions. The only ham/glute machine I have ever seen was in Adirondack gym. Here I use the 20kg bar to provide some resistance. Squats and Good Mornings give me some glutes work but obviously nowhere near what I used to do. For the glutes and back there is always the hip extension (moving the rest up and down shifts the emphasis), but the real issue is that the longevity of the prosthesis is directly linked the the stress it gets.I spend a lot of time on the stationary bike to provide load under controlled circumstances.

I’ll just keep at it. 54 years and counting.

TQB