Did My First Meet on Sat

I went to the wolverine open in Kalamazoo Mi on Oct 23rd, and I thought it went pretty well. My numbers end up being 407/225/451. I was in the 220 raw division. My body weight is about 205. I hit 245 no problem on my warm-up for bench, but no lifted on my 2nd and 3rd attempts @ 248. I’m not sure what happened, but the squat and dead went well. Squat was a PR, and deadlift I pr’d, and could have had 475.

Overall, it was a great experience for me. I’m excited to do my next one. I’ll post pictures in a little bit

Great job. SFW!

Nice work. My first meet is Nov. 13. Any reason you didn’t drop to 198’s?

Hey man did I see or talk to you there? I’m Sam Braun if that helps.

Congrats on doing your first meet. Why’d you warmup to more than your opener on bench?

sam braun…you may have. I’m trying to think. what was your weight class? haha, sorry I can’t put a name with a face.

As far as dropping: I was just focused on trying my hand at a powerlifting meet. I thought about trying to drop those pounds, but I was afraid of losing some strength in doing so. I won the 220 raw, although there were only two of us in the raw division…

I went above my starting weight on my bench because it’s my achilles heel. I’m not very confident on the bench, and I know what I can do, so I wanted to get it through my mind. I felt like the lift command was a little delayed, but then again I’ve never been to a meet, so who knows.
Brauny: was it just me or did the lift command seem to be a bit delayed on the bench?

[quote]Zen Taco wrote:
sam braun…you may have. I’m trying to think. what was your weight class? haha, sorry I can’t put a name with a face.

As far as dropping: I was just focused on trying my hand at a powerlifting meet. I thought about trying to drop those pounds, but I was afraid of losing some strength in doing so. I won the 220 raw, although there were only two of us in the raw division…

I went above my starting weight on my bench because it’s my achilles heel. I’m not very confident on the bench, and I know what I can do, so I wanted to get it through my mind. I felt like the lift command was a little delayed, but then again I’ve never been to a meet, so who knows.
Brauny: was it just me or did the lift command seem to be a bit delayed on the bench?[/quote]

Good Job with your lifts. Those are good numbers for your first meet. About the pause… I had never trained with a pause and my first meet I only got 210 lbs. In training I was able to hit 225x3. When I’m watching people the pause seems brief but when it’s you under the bar it seems like it’s a realy long pause.

I hope that it was a 100% positive experience for you. I’ve found that 99% of the powerlifters I come in contact with are great guys who are willing to help out and cheer for their competitors…it’s an awesome sport with alot of awesome folks. Good job at getting the first meet under your belt.

Great job and congrats on doing so well your first meet!

I can’t wait to try it myself soon.

thanks for the words everyone. It was a very positive experience for me. Met some good guys, and saw some amazing lifts. Saw a record breaking squat by a 148 pounder. I remember it being 700. Brauny, can you verify that one for me? Saw an 800 lb deadlift, and shook hands with Mike White. I can’t wait to do another one